Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Roll hunter's question-
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  21:58:35  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

This one goes out to all the roll-hunters out there...

I've done it all for about a year now, from pennies to halves, but one thing that dawned on me- anybody know of any bank that orders or at least has the slightest idea about IKE dollar coins?

Can you see where I'm going with this...?

Peace,
wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  23:34:14  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Other then some proofs in nice cases, IKES never had silver. So what are we to look for? If you want Ikes to collect ask HCBTT as he sells them from time to time.for near face. Maybe I am missing something here.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  23:41:07  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I'll trade them for silver too wags.

I take them whenever my banks happen to get some. I get a few hundred a month. They don't bring much of a premium, especially when you have to subtract eBay and PayPal fees. Probably time to run another thousand of them on eBay.. gotta do better than copper cents are lately.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  01:34:42  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

Secret's out-

I'm thinking maybe there's some stray Morgans and/or Peace dollars amongst those Ikes.....
If you can find Franklins and Walkers in halves, what would stop ya?

Who's with me on this? ; )

wags

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  01:44:20  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It could happen. A buddy of mine in my coin club got some. His bank asked him if he wanted "BIG" dollars. He said sure.. figuring they would be Ikes.. He got 6 rolls of Morgans!!!

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  01:53:28  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Anything is possible, but given the old dollars are a very different size then the Ikes... it seems like a stretch. Doubt we will have much luck finding Morgans mixed into Presidential coins either. All 1/2s are the same size - can't tell them apart in a roll until you check the face.

The new US dollar coins and Loonies are all the same size and pretty much the same color. What will be really interesting will be to see if the Presidential Dollars and the Loonies mix up like lower value coins do now. If they do, there could be a coin roll hunting opprotunity on one side of the border or the other every time the dollars move apart.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  08:09:11  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

Hi all,

I've done it all for about a year now, from pennies to halves, but one thing that dawned on me- anybody know of any bank that orders or at least has the slightest idea about IKE dollar coins?

Peace,
wags

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to page 9, footnote 7. This is dated '06, so who knows... Can't hurt to try.

Edited by - Bluegill on 08/15/2008 08:09:33
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  09:59:08  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
A teller at a local bank mentioned to me about 6 months ago he used to be able to order the big dollar coins. I was interested until he told me he picks out the morgan sand peace, and yes, he had gotten several. He offered to order a box for me, but if he's going to grab the silver, let him do it on his' own dime.....

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  12:48:15  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Just find another branch of that same bank. If one branch can order, then the other can do the same and you might not get a darn silver pickin' teller.

Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  23:08:29  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I just asked about Ikes at one of my source banks. They're gonna look into it and get back to me.
I'm eager to get stuck in this type of roll hunting, but, big problem-
COIN COUNTING MACHINES DON'T TAKE IKES-
I might have to just go $200 at a time, rather than thousands of dollars into the hope that there might be some peaces/morgans in there.

I'll keep yous'all posted.

wags

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  23:15:06  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
Anything is possible, but given the old dollars are a very different size then the Ikes... it seems like a stretch. Doubt we will have much luck finding Morgans mixed into Presidential coins either.

Not true at all. Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars and Eisenhower Dollars are all 38.1 mm in diameter. The only difference is the weight. And there's no way anyone would find Morgans mixed in Presidential coin rolls either as there is about a 12 mm difference so that would be like finding a half dollar in a quarter roll. It would stick out like a sore thumb and it probably wouldnt be physically possible to finish the machine roll if one of the big dollars was mixed in with a stack of Presidential dollars.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  23:16:26  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
By the way, I asked my bank who orders boxes for me all the time to get a couple of boxes of Ikes and they cant get any. Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  01:07:51  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I can send you some.. "searched" Price will depend on how many Peace and Morgan Dollars you want me to add in.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  02:32:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CoinHunter53562

quote:
Anything is possible, but given the old dollars are a very different size then the Ikes... it seems like a stretch. Doubt we will have much luck finding Morgans mixed into Presidential coins either.

Not true at all. Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars and Eisenhower Dollars are all 38.1 mm in diameter. The only difference is the weight. And there's no way anyone would find Morgans mixed in Presidential coin rolls either as there is about a 12 mm difference so that would be like finding a half dollar in a quarter roll. It would stick out like a sore thumb and it probably wouldnt be physically possible to finish the machine roll if one of the big dollars was mixed in with a stack of Presidential dollars.

Perhaps I should stick to coins I see all the time :) Sorry guys.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  07:10:53  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
No worries legacy....it was late last night when I posted and was trying to finish up some things before going to bed. I hope it didnt come off wrong since I was just trying to clarify things for everyone. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  15:13:41  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bluegill

quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

Hi all,

Peace,
wags

Go to page 9, footnote 7. This is dated '06, so who knows... Can't hurt to try.

here is a link to the Fed's Offering Circular 2. Its nearly identical. Reference to Ikes is at Section 5.4:

Of course, this refers to a bank ordering bagged coin from the Fed. Not sure how that gets to the branch.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2