Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 40% silver halves
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

M83striker
Penny Pincher Member

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  08:45:19  Show Profile Send M83striker a Private Message
I'm trying to diversify my PM's instead of just pennies and am wondering if buying 40% halves on E-bay should I be bidding according to what Coinflation is telling me that they are worth? I'm new to the "silver" thing so I'm just curious if this is what I'm looking for.

When my wife got after me it sounded like "Blah,Blah,Blah", but now it sounds like "Clink,Clink,Clink". Its amazing what that Ryedale can do for a hounded husband.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  11:03:07  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
APMEX sells 40% halves by the roll and by the bag. So that is one benchmark. I've bought quite a few right here in the Buy Sell Trade area for a little below spot, but then there are no ebay fees and if we use a check, no paypal fees to cover. Of course some like to find silver 1/2s for face at the bank, but then one has to consider the time element involved.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  12:03:05  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Just my opinion, but I would try sorting boxes of halves first. Buy a couple of boxes a week for a few weeks and see what happens. Few things beat getting Ag at FV...

If you are already making trips to the bank buying & dumping pennies, buy & dump halves at the same time. Now your aquisition & disposal costs are basically zero. It takes no time at all to breeze through a box, so the time element is minimal.

I've sorted & re-rolled a couple hundred dollars worth of CWR in my car in the parking lot and dumped at the bank next door several times.

If you want quantity in a short time period, this may not be the best route for you. Like everthing else in life, there are trade offs.

Edited by - Bluegill on 08/14/2008 12:06:56
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  13:16:45  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bluegill
I've sorted & re-rolled a couple hundred dollars worth of CWR in my car in the parking lot and dumped at the bank next door several times.

Good. I'm not the only compulsive one around here.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  13:53:17  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi there,

Unsolicited advice, but you might want to avoid buying 40% halves. They're great if you find them in circulation, but most coin shops shy away from them when you need to sell. They don't like them because they're "clad" in silver. Never bothered me, but....

If you just have a small amount to invest in silver, 90% dimes might be more up your alley. Just a few rolls, and you're in the game!!!

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

M83striker
Penny Pincher Member

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  15:22:05  Show Profile Send M83striker a Private Message
Thanks for everyones input. Silver coinage still seems a little confusing so maybe I'll just stick another $2000 into more pennies for now. Maybe when the copper runs dry I'll try to tackle the silver thing again.

When my wife got after me it sounded like "Blah,Blah,Blah", but now it sounds like "Clink,Clink,Clink". Its amazing what that Ryedale can do for a hounded husband.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  16:43:47  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by M83striker

Thanks for everyones input. Silver coinage still seems a little confusing so maybe I'll just stick another $2000 into more pennies for now. Maybe when the copper runs dry I'll try to tackle the silver thing again.

Don't be discouraged on silver. Many here buy "junk silver", which includes 40% halves, on a frequent basis. Go to your nearby coin dealer and ask to see some Walker, Franklin, and 1964 Kennedy half dollars. These are all 90% silver. Buy a shiny one or two. These are only about $6 a piece, and may be less the way silver has been dropping. You won't have to pay what is often an elevated ebay shipping cost either. And, all of sudden, you have started your own silver hoard. You will have coinage that was/is "real money".

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:54:34  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Definitely don't give up on silver. You can put together a really nice hoard just from visiting the banks. I run about 50% skunk boxes, but over the last year, I've done well. You can go through a $500 box of silver on about an hour, including rerolling if you have to do that. If you'd rather buy, there are plenty of quarters, dimes, and 90% halves for sale on ebay, and I expect in the face of dropping silver prices, demand will slow and plenty of people will start dumping silver soon. That means you ought to be able to get silver below melt including shipping IMHO. I got plenty of that about 18 months ago.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2