Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Those "We Buy and Sell Gold,Silver" shops
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  21:37:56  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I ride past a store that buys and sells gold and silver jewelry and coins. In fact, I probably go by a few others on my bike rides. How do these shops fit in with us coin hoarders? Is it within reason to make offers on coins at these places or are many of these shops already highballing over spot prices? Also, is it a good time to visit the pawn shops to buy coins or not?

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  22:51:14  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I went to a local one near me, just to check prices, when silver was 20 an ounce, they told me generic bars where 25, and they bought for 15. Just made me sick how they rip off the general public.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  06:04:36  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
I went to one place and asked about the colorized silver eagles. The ones that have been painted red white and blue, and effectively ruined in my opinion. I was thinking $1 or so over spot silver, and they wanted $30 each. I didn't bother asking about anything else.

WheatieFan
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  09:43:31  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
And these places stay in business? The casual savvy gold or silver buyer must have some idea of spot prices and see that the shops are no bargain. Who keeps them in business?
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:34:14  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I've been in a shop like that before, too. Probably the worst numismatic experience of my life. It was like I was in some kind of time wrinkle, where everything in the shop was happening in slow motion.

Me: "Hey, wanted to see if you've got any generic silver rounds for sale."
Him: "Wellllllllll, what kind of rounds you looking for?"
Me: "I'm not too particular. Let's take a look at what you've got."
Him: "I got these NASCAR rounds. Ever seen those? They're nice."
Me: " . . . "
Him: "Got these that say 'Happy Easter' on 'em. Lookit, here's one with Garfield on it!"

[I should point out that I'm a 37-year old woman and while I do look young, I don't look *that* young. Or dumb. ]

Me: "Are these all the same price?"
Him: "NASCAR ones is gonna run you more. Rest of 'em's $25 apiece."

[Silver had closed in mid-sixteens the day before, on Friday.]

Me: "I'll pass for today, but thank you for showing them to me."
Me, Unspoken: "Jerk."

However, a display of jewelry for sale doesn't necessarily mean that a coin dealer is a cheeseball. Example: My main coin guy sells gold and silver jewelry in addition to bullion and numismatic coins. He has only recently starting putting out the jewelry. So many people came in wanting to sell their stuff for scrap that he ended up taking in some nice things. He sends the ugly stuff to the scrapper and displays the better pieces.

This dealer's practice is to check the spot price as soon as you tell him what metal you want to buy. As for prices, it depends on which coins you're buying, since different coins will have different premiums. I usually buy Krugs and he sells those for $10 over spot. AGEs and pandas have a higher markup since, as you know, there are a lot of collectors for those and even coins sold as bullion tend to be in pretty nice shape. Markup on bars is pretty much nonexistent. Generic silver rounds are 50 cents to a dollar over spot.

You never know what kind of deal you're going to get until you actually walk in and ask. If you're quoted a price that seems high, you can always counter. (Unless the guy is like the one I talked to, in which case bargaining with him is like teaching a pig to dance. You just annoy the pig and aggravate yourself. ) You never know, it could be that those are coins the dealer has been sitting on a while and is just tired of looking at them. The worst thing he can say is no.

Edited because I cannot spell.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin

Edited by - Ant on 08/10/2008 10:37:19
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:32:41  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,
The coin store guy's gotta make a living, so I can tolerate a little spread on PM purchases, but it's true that some people are ridiculous.
Went to a flea market yesterday, and some people were asking $35 for 1921 Morgans. One guy wanted $600 for a 1/2 oz gold eagle. Get real.

wags.

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:35:49  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Only deal I got at that market was a beat up 1943 war nickel for 75 cents. Woop de do.

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:01:41  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I tried the same thing, but all they had was ugly jewelry to sell. What can you expect from pawn shops that deal with the very poor and thieves? The clerk was 1/2 a step above the clients economically, and had zero idea about PM. When I asked about bars and silver coins she looked at me like "Why would you want a silver bar or coin" and said "we never see anything like that". Gold is something to make an ugly biker ring from, Bars are for getting hammered in, and her biggest "investment" might be buying pot seeds.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:38:55  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

I tried the same thing, but all they had was ugly jewelry to sell. What can you expect from pawn shops that deal with the very poor and thieves? The clerk was 1/2 a step above the clients economically, and had zero idea about PM. When I asked about bars and silver coins she looked at me like "Why would you want a silver bar or coin" and said "we never see anything like that". Gold is something to make an ugly biker ring from, Bars are for getting hammered in, and her biggest "investment" might be buying pot seeds.

Nice post. Sounds about right....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  19:54:15  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

And these places stay in business? The casual savvy gold or silver buyer must have some idea of spot prices and see that the shops are no bargain. Who keeps them in business?

The uninformed or those too lazy to try to get the recent price in gold or silver are the main customers of these PM con artists.
The typical Joe six pack sees in the paper gold has gone up so he sells his class ring and a broken gold chain for what he thinks is good money, not realizing a legitimate buyer would give him 50% or 100% of what the coin con men offered.

Off topic but worth mentioning (if I didn't mention it before)

A dirty little secret of the jewelry trade-

The markup is 700% or 800% of the melt value, but few in the trade mention this to customers. I learned this from a jeweler who is also a wholesaler as well as a retailer so he doesn't really care if the dirty little secret gets out (This jeweler is a jewelers jeweler, he will make rings, bracelets and necklaces that no other jeweler will attempt. They come to him for the hard-to-make or tough to fix items that he has the skill in making or fixing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2