Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 How does APMEX label their shipments?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  04:43:20  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I'm considering placing my first order with them and wondered if the package says "APMEX" or "American Precious Metals Exchange" or whatever. Just not wanting the mailman or the nosy neighbors to know what I'm buying.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  06:17:46  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
If I recall, the return address says "APMEX" but that's the only label, and the majority of people have no idea what "APMEX" is anyway.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  07:11:42  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Maybe since I'm a journalist, they'll think it's the Mexico City bureau of the Associated Press.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  12:41:58  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Apmex has only sent me white rectangle boxes, outside is just a shipping label to you, and their return addy, apmex. Inside is typically a white bubble wrapper that's seal containing the coins and a receipt

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  16:18:35  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Does AMPEX ship by insured mail?

If you are concerned about privacy Nickelless, just mention to the mailman or neighbors that you have ordered some rare pennies from a coin company called AMPEX and you will put them in a safe deposit box once you get them (you don't have to actually have a safe deposit box, just say that you do.) I doubt any of your neighbors would be interested in the fact you are getting pennies shpped to you, getting PMs, that would be another story.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  16:22:02  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Apmex does send insured. For that box, I paid 16bucks shipping. -.-

Trolling is an art.

Edited by - Neckro on 08/10/2008 00:05:26
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  04:01:24  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pencilvanian

Does AMPEX ship by insured mail?

If you are concerned about privacy Nickelless, just mention to the mailman or neighbors that you have ordered some rare pennies from a coin company called AMPEX and you will put them in a safe deposit box once you get them (you don't have to actually have a safe deposit box, just say that you do.) I doubt any of your neighbors would be interested in the fact you are getting pennies shpped to you, getting PMs, that would be another story.

I'm having my PM orders shipped to my brother's address, and he lives in an apartment in the city, so my concern I guess is with trash pickers (people scrapping for aluminum cans, etc.) seeing "precious metals" on the packaging and then ransacking my brother's apartment looking for stuff.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  09:24:10  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
Hi Nickelless,

Dave here from APMEX.

What you are seeing here is correct. We ship in plain white boxes, with a label on the outside.. Only the return address would be identifiable - only to those who know. The APMEX logo is on the INSIDE of the box.

pencilvanian has a good idea - if you are concerned about nosey people. We don't hear of many issues like that at all though, so don't spend time worrying about it. Just tell them its a bunch of rusty old pennies... so there really isn't a need to have the shipment delivered to your brothers home.

Everything we ship is registered USPS mail and insured. That the shipment is protected from cage to cage (in case you have a cage ;-)

We recently posted on our blog about the You must be logged in to see this link. after we did a big customer survey. You can check it out if you'd like.

Hope this helps out some.

Dave McCarty
http://www.APMEX.com
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  01:50:19  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I find it funny. As the price of Silver drops, the money over melt Apmex makes you pay. They got adds on their front page saying 1.20 over melt, 1.99 over melt! But when you got to look at the products, they're 3-4bucks over melt.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  04:57:48  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

I find it funny. As the price of Silver drops, the money over melt Apmex makes you pay. They got adds on their front page saying 1.20 over melt, 1.99 over melt! But when you got to look at the products, they're 3-4bucks over melt.

The prices probably won't drop below what they paid. Really can't blame them. By the number of silver items that have disappeared from the website in the past two days, I would say they're selling plenty at their current prices anyway.

Also look at the quantity prices. The ads say "as low as..." so usually you have to buy quite a few to get that price.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  15:33:35  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

Hi Neckro,
the ads you are refering to are based on quantity of the order (as correctly noted by natsb88).

natsb88 brings up another good point about the "Out of Stock" items on the APMEX.com site. We just posted about this on our blog if you are interested in reading more about the You must be logged in to see this link..

Dave McCarty
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  15:42:41  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Welcome to the forum dmccarty. Many of us here like PM and we appreciate your input.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:30:33  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I knows. I just like to b*tch about things sometimes. =/ Things that are normally on sale never are the things I want.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  14:59:23  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
Neckro,
of course that's the case... Everything I want always goes on sale after I have spent my last dime..DOH!.
Murphy's Law of Economics.

I bought a bunch of silver rounds not too long ago - kicking myself now that the price is so dang low.. the wife's not too happy about that either... oh well.. it'll all pop back in time.

I just wanted to let you guys know what IS happening right now. Silver is getting hard to find anywhere - especially the really popular items. We have seen a pretty big demand increase on some of the other items like Silver Maples, Silver Pandas and 90% bags.

HoardCopper
Thanks for the welcome and all you guys for giving me an opportunity to join the discussion.

Dave McCarty
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  15:04:12  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I just placed a small order with APMEX. Of course the generic silver I had in my cart disappeared by the time I actually placed the order It's ok though; I had to buy text books yesterday and that wiped out all of my available funds

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  15:10:53  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
We are in an odd time. The Silver Spot Price is going down, but the availability is also going down.

Every one knows the price will spring back up. I see dealers raising thier spreads not wanting to loos money. I don't blame anyone for trying to protect themselves. Anyone buying is doing thier best to get the deals before they run out or someone bets them to the deal.

Welcome Dave, it's good to have our suppliers join the chat.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  15:17:32  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Very cool to have an AMPEX rep here :) Little old realcent is now moving up into GIM territory. As HCBTT said... we have lots of interest in Precious Metals.

If you are in the market for copper penny bags, just let us know. Collectively we could likely fill all your orders. I would be willing to send you some Canadian 98% Copper. Would even take silver in trade.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  17:57:22  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

I just placed a small order with APMEX. Of course the generic silver I had in my cart disappeared by the time I actually placed the order It's ok though; I had to buy text books yesterday and that wiped out all of my available funds

I'm wishing now that I'd taken some of the leftover student loan money my last semester in school (spring 2001) and splurged on silver Right now I'm just paying the minimum on my student loans so I can stock up on silver while I can, then pay off my loans with increasingly worthless FRNs.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  12:35:27  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
Thanks for the offer legacypac - I'll pass it along to our traders and purchasing dept.

Dave McCarty
Go to Top of Page

dmccarty

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  18:20:17  Show Profile Send dmccarty a Private Message
Hey Guys.. as an FYI... we just go this in. I thought you guys might want to know about it ahead of time.

US Mint Suspends Sales Of Gold American Eagles
Late this afternoon (08/14/08) we learned the US Mint has suspended all sales of the 1 oz Gold American Eagles. They are not accepting additional orders for these popular bullion items. You must be logged in to see this link.

Dave McCarty
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  18:32:42  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Sounds like private mints will be doing brisk business in bullion with the AEs out of stock. Thanks for the info, Dave.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  18:45:11  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

Very cool to have an AMPEX rep here :) Little old realcent is now moving up into GIM territory.

True on the first statement.

I would have to say we're a little more polite over here than the GIM forum. GIM can get confrontational at times.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  11:49:56  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
I would have to say we're a little more polite over here than the

yes--that is one of the reasons I like this place so much--for the most part everyone is very polite, friendly and patient...hopefully we can keep it that way!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2