Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Dollar cost average silver if its price drops?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  20:34:57  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
I think recent hysteresis in the market has me convinced to store away metals as part of an asset allocation plan. I am almost hoping that silver prices drop enough that acquiring it will be easy on the wallet but I am thinking that lower prices may incur more folks taking physical ownership of it too. Seems like a paradox, doesn't it? Anyway, I probably will keep acquiring junk silver as something to pass down to my descendants. If silver hits $10/ounce, it would be great to pick up some coins at half the spot-price of what they are going for now. I do not expect silver to drop but who knows? I see these markets as basically a tug of war of who can pull the rug out from another guy's position. Energy and natural resources like land and minerals and water will always have demand.

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  22:26:27  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I would like silver to drop back into the 5 to 6 range, but that's a fantasy. I am afraid I missed the days of really cheap silver.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  01:08:02  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I spend $100 on silver every payday as long as I can get it below my comfort level price of $18-19, and if I can't find any sales or auctions in that per-ounce price range, I roll my money for the pay period into copper pennies. Can't lose either way.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:40:46  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
If silver drops considerably, dealers may not want to sell at close to spot. It would depend on when a dealer acquired what he has on hand. They have their spread to think about, too. I think the big guys (Apmex, etc.) will always be willing to sell, if they have it in their inventory.

I think junk silver will be the first type of silver to be snapped up. By buying now, at least we've gotten some leads on good dealers.

Anyone want to make a guess on when (if?) silver will drop below $15?

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  18:02:08  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
True, but people will be saying the same think when silver hits $25 or $30, "Wish I'd bought at $18"

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  18:41:39  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

If silver drops considerably, dealers may not want to sell at close to spot. It would depend on when a dealer acquired what he has on hand. They have their spread to think about, too. I think the big guys (Apmex, etc.) will always be willing to sell, if they have it in their inventory.

I think junk silver will be the first type of silver to be snapped up. By buying now, at least we've gotten some leads on good dealers.

Anyone want to make a guess on when (if?) silver will drop below $15?

If we see oil go below $100 then $15.00 silver may not be too far behind.

Some dealers may not want to sell at lower than $15.00 spot but there will always be the people who will.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  00:17:27  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

If we see oil go below $100 then $15.00 silver may not be too far behind.

Some dealers may not want to sell at lower than $15.00 spot but there will always be the people who will.

Why do you think $15 would be the theoretical floor for some dealers?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  01:02:11  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

Why do you think $15 would be the theoretical floor for some dealers?

Oh, I semi-randomly chose $15.00 because that's approximately where silver was at the first of this year. (I'm not a chartist, can you tell? )

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  13:04:46  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
I have been watching this for a while.

psychologically, and ironically, its easier to pull the trigger on purchases when pm's are high and rising. that is when you want to slow your purchases down.

this is the time to buy. its harder mentally to pull the trigger. you need to pay cash (not margin) and have the ability to hold it for a while. that is, don't spend next month's rent money on silver today. its a much better idea to buy now than when silver was $18.

i have a lot of confidence that silver will be north of $20 by Christmas.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  16:06:12  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

What makes you think so?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  08:42:42  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

quote:

What makes you think so?

continued government spending and continued inflation, continued banking crisis, etc. i posted a link to a shadowstats report about possible hyperinflation in the next 24 mos a few mos back on the general discussion forum i believe. its long but worth the read.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  09:30:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

I have been watching this for a while.

psychologically, and ironically, its easier to pull the trigger on purchases when pm's are high and rising. that is when you want to slow your purchases down.

This is very true. I sold more silver at 20 and 21 then I did all the way up. Its funny there are two different types of people that buy silver in these up's and downs. The new investor that is looking to make quick money only buys when its up. The old investor with their eye on the long term only buys when it goes down. Become an old investor.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2