Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 I have the opportunity to buy 60 ounces of silver
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  19:32:55  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
My boss wants to get rid of his silver, roughly 5 pounds of it. He has an old cigar box full of 90% silver US coins that he's bringing to the office tomorrow. He wants fair market value is all (and no shipping). Can you see me salivating like Pavlov's dog?

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  22:00:03  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
shortcut to a hoard! But what's a fair price?

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  22:20:58  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jpf231

My boss wants to get rid of his silver, roughly 5 pounds of it. He has an old cigar box full of 90% silver US coins that he's bringing to the office tomorrow. He wants fair market value is all (and no shipping). Can you see me salivating like Pavlov's dog?

Foolish on the part of your boss, especially in these times. But, good for you. What price do you intend to offer? Are you going to show him the melt price from coinflation and propose to pay him that? You might even find a rare date or two in the batch.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  23:25:49  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
or you could show him the price Tulving is offering at--spot minus 15 cents.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Or you could try and convince him he'll get less than 90% of spot from a local dealer and offer him 95%...

let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  19:04:54  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
Here's what happened. My boss overestimated the amount of silver he had in that dusty old cigar box. It turns out there were 123 - 40% halves and 17 - 90% (1 Franklin(61)). I did the math usng coinflation.com's prices for today, which as you all know is based upon yesterday's close I believe, and the value of the lot was roughly $441. He is fine with what I tell him fair market price is. He doesn't even care to look for himself actually. I plan to buy them for the $441.

Edited by - jpf231 on 07/02/2008 19:06:11
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  00:07:05  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
not bad..a little silver at about spot is better than none at all...
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:39:04  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I wound up buying the silver (123 - 40% and 17 - 90%) for $375 (melt was roughly $441 yesterday) - WAHOOOOOOOO !!! Into the safe deposit box it goes - who knows - it may feed the family for a few months WTSHTF !!
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  11:07:21  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
but they will starve after a few months!!! Go buy more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Of course if everyone else has starved, there would be more food for the rest of us

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  12:10:02  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
that's fair. you should not be able to sell 90% at spot, let alone 40%.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:19:58  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jpf231....Into the safe deposit box it goes....

BAD MOVE imho......"If ya don't hold it, ya don't own it". Should there be a "banking holiday", there's a good chance you'll never be able to get to your safe deposit box.

Better to keep it home in your possession. Hide itmin plain sight....up on a plant shelf, in an old can of paint in the garage...you get the idea.
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  17:30:18  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
hmmm ... makes me nervous having a stash in the house, but I see your point. Just bought roughly $200 more of junk silver today to add to the hoard. Ag, Ag, Ag, Ag, Ag ...
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  22:38:02  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jpf231

hmmm ... makes me nervous having a stash in the house, but I see your point. Just bought roughly $200 more of junk silver today to add to the hoard. Ag, Ag, Ag, Ag, Ag ...

I dont like having junk silver just laying out. I know someone who had a jar (coffee can) stolen. She thought she had it hidden I guess, but the thief used it to go buy gas with. If it had been oz rounds of silver the thief would not have had a clue what to do with them.

Just my opinion.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:45:54  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
invest in a safe. bolt it to your floor.ive got an old bank safe that
weighs over 1200 lbs empty, never mind the silver bags and misc "stuff".
i see too many shows about bank robberies and safe deposit boxes being robbed.
plus, what happens when you get more than will fit in one box?
if silver stays at say $18 forever and never moves, the fees on the box will erode your value to nothing over time. of course houses get robbed too, but thats what the pittbulls and mossbergs are for.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  00:41:00  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
We just can't have nice things...

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  05:05:03  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
apparently the risk in a big safe is the door can be pried open with some ease. the alternative is an in-ground safe but these are smaller and harder to install. experts recommend hiding in plain sight or in unexpected places - e.g. in a box marked Christmas Decorations.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  06:28:30  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

apparently the risk in a big safe is the door can be pried open with some ease. the alternative is an in-ground safe but these are smaller and harder to install. experts recommend hiding in plain sight or in unexpected places - e.g. in a box marked Christmas Decorations.

A good quality safe is relatively "safe". You generally get what you pay for. It just takes a little research.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  07:09:18  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Like many other things, a little diversification is probably good--some in a safe, some in a can, some in plain sight, etc...(but beware of the risks associated with a safe deposit box).
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  08:03:54  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
Good purchase at $375. I was going to mention that coinflation prices seem to be for the uncirculated coins and based on the weights of the coins when they left the mint so those figures arent always accurate. Typically bullion dealers figure on $100 face of 90% having roughly 71.5 ounces of silver (down from 72.3 when minted). For halves, the estimate is a slightly higher number and usually around 71.8-72.0 ounces due to those not circulating as much so there isnt as much wear on the coins. Either way, good job and keep buying!

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  16:13:54  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

A good quality safe is relatively "safe". You generally get what you pay for. It just takes a little research.

Deal
[/quote]

thaat's not exactly true. an in-ground safe can be safer than a much more expensive floor safe. creative hiding can be even safer and cost almost nothing. while a large floor safe realistically won't be carted off, their doors are fairly vulnerable to being pried open. There is not a single perfect answer, and I just wanted to point out that a heavy, expensive floor safe is the only way to look at the question.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  13:20:00  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

Like many other things, a little diversification is probably good--some in a safe, some in a can, some in plain sight, etc...(but beware of the risks associated with a safe deposit box).

Just don't diversify too much or too creatively, or you'll end up losing stuff! Took me almost 6 hours to find a pistol that i hid in the attic one time

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

longhorn
Penny Sorter Member

80 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  20:26:41  Show Profile Send longhorn a Private Message
Better yet, walk in basement vault with bank type door. Mine's 12' by 50'. Now if I could just fill it up.

Obey Gresham's Law
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  22:36:23  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
Better yet, walk in basement vault with bank type door. Mine's 12' by 50'. Now if I could just fill it up.

You have a vault that is 12' x 50' in your basement? Wow

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  01:13:46  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
WOW or why lol?Not even sure trump could fill that up.I know just an average coffe can full of silver is something like $10K and gold would be what $500K?and that is just a coffee can.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  01:27:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
nothing is totally "safe" its just a sense of security.
if its manmade..man can take it apart.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  09:37:47  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scott71578

nothing is totally "safe" its just a sense of security.
if its manmade..man can take it apart.

As we've well demonstrated with our financial systems.

Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  11:27:02  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I just realized that "imho" must mean "in my humble opinion" - what a dope.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2