Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Technical aspects of Canadian coinage
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  23:23:34  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Here is a link to a page that has all the technical specs for Canadian coins--many of you may already have the info, but I have found it very helpful--especially for the different dates of nickels.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  02:46:44  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
Thanks for the link!
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  03:19:53  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Like the version on the penny section - I am going to caution that the 2000+ info on that site assumes that all nickel coins are plated. They are definately not all plated, and large numbers are still CuNi until 2006. If there is NO P mint mark or RCM logo mintmark the cin is CuNi and worth saving (10% premium on melt today). I learned this the hard way rolling and returning a lot of CuNi. It took a Ryedale to point out my errors after blindly following the info on that site.

I think the older info is pretty good though.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog

Edited by - jadedragon on 06/23/2008 01:30:31
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  13:40:32  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
That's good to know about the recent nickels---thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  16:48:28  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
Good link and remember everyone Canadian silver before 1920 is .925 Sterling. Don't think all Canadian is 80% silver. If I am buying junk Canadian silver I always sort out the Sterling.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  19:41:33  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
good to know about the sterling--thanks...

How often do you find sterling in the junk silver that you buy?
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  08:37:16  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
Maybe once every 10 buys. Not often but it is nice when you get it.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

SmallCHange
Penny Sorter Member

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  09:26:22  Show Profile Send SmallCHange a Private Message
On the nickels, if I remember correctly from when I used to sort some of them.

The years 2000, 2001 and 2006 were the only years I found to have variations as far as composition on the post 2000 nickels. The P or RCM means Steel and those without are CuNi. I used a magnet on a group of Nickels which I had already removed the .99Ni by date. It was pretty apparent as I remember to easily sort them out using a magnet. Those that are not magnetic being the CuNi ones.

I was really surprised at first, especially on the 2006 and went looking online for info, but did not find much at all. I remember finding one story with something about they had alot of extra old type CuNi blanks to get rid of or something & used them in 2006. I tried to locate that link just now using search engine and could not come up with it.

As I remember, I also once read somewhere that the 2000P (steel version) had a much lower mintage, so those might be worth saving if true.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  01:02:27  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Haxby lists 2000P with 5 million minted and 2000 (CuNi) with 106 million minted. So yes, there are as few 2000P as the 1970 mint of 5 million. Huxby lists the 2006P, 2006L but no 2006 (I have some of these though). All the online listings I've seen are wrong but I fixed up Wikipedia today.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2