Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 making bars
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  01:13:01  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
So it looks like you can get a device to melt yr copper for $1200

You must be logged in to see this link.

Throw in a Ryedale sorter for $800 and you have a $2000 investment. Figuring the ebay profit over spot on copper bars, one could quite quickly start to turn over a huge profit.

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  06:59:49  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
That's sweet. I wonder how much energy cost it would take to run it for each pour? I noticed too that a lot of non-professional bars don't have the smooth polished look and have grains or a fissure like surface. The bars would have a trace of zinc in them too unless a guy could remove it some how.

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
The device costs $1,360. Very interesting. It would be nice to know someone who works in a smelter that would know the procedures for copper. I checked how many pennies would fit into 72 liquid ounces, and I got $6 in 16 oz container. $27 would fit into the 72 fluid oz smelter. You would have to buy some supplies for each melt. You would also have to worry about the zinc toxicity. Looks like you would need to heat the pennies at least 1 hour. It would use a lot of electricity. If you had no other costs, and you received 80 cents/lb more for your smelted pennies. 17.4 lbs per smelt ($27/$1.55 pennies in a lb). 100 batches and it would break even if there were no other costs.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  19:52:12  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
You could probably set up to purify the copper to .999 for a few hundred bucks extra: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  07:49:20  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
One thing I never see are pure nickel bullion bars for sale. Even a google picture search does not bring any up except for one three pound rod-like bar used for a science demo. and it was not for sale.

I would expect a market for nickel bars would be out there.

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  19:41:46  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Ardent Listener

One thing I never see are pure nickel bullion bars for sale. Even a google picture search does not bring any up except for one three pound rod-like bar used for a science demo. and it was not for sale.

I would expect a market for nickel bars would be out there.

I think one of the reasons that no one is offering a nickel bar for sale is due to the fact so few people consider nickel to be anything other than an industrial metal.
Unlike silver, gold or even copper bars ,which are viewed as metals that have a "money" worth, nickel is just viewed as a bar for industry to use.
Another problem with making nickel bars is the fact that nickel melts at about 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. I guess at such a high melting point might deter some ingot makers.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:14:27  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Here is a link fo a cheaper metal melter.

Gas Melting Pot Model #8 is $625.00
and Gas Melting Pot Model #4 is $530.00

The drawback is you will need a tall shed or high cieling garage to use this, due to the heat, or use this outside.

Quote, "The Pearson gas melting furnace is ideal for precious metal melting and reduction of gold and silver. Also good for sand casting of aluminum, brass, bronze(i.e., copper cents)
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:26:13  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I would be fun to smelt outside on those cold (but not wet) winter days.

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  19:44:19  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
I wonder if you could cook food over it?
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  19:46:08  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
In canada it is illegal to melt coins. But then, I'm hoarding them as much for numismatic value as for melt.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  20:33:46  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Here are a few questions,

If you melt the Canadian Coins for their metal content IN the U.S., what could the Canadian Government do? If you trade Canadian coins for U.S. coins and melt U.S. coins in Canada, what would the Canadian Government do? If it isn’t Canadian Coins being melted would the law still be in effect?

Edited by - pencilvanian on 09/29/2006 20:40:40
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  21:36:58  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message

One thing I never see are pure nickel bullion bars for sale.

This isn’t exactly a nickel bar, but it is close, I don’t know the minimum order would be to buy them.

A good place to start an in depth research into all things nickel.

http:\\You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  08:02:58  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message

Footnote: same site, lower down the page

I found out they also offer an electric furnace for $725,

MANUAL ELECTRO-MELT™ (Kerr)
Maximum temperature is 28°C/50°F less than our automatic models. For long sustained melts we suggest the automatic models for improved element features:
~Calibrated dial plate
~982°C/1800°F in 22 minutes
~Maximum temperature 1093°C/2000°F
~Melting capacity:
Gold - 930 g/30 Troy oz Silver - 775 g/25 Troy
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  18:40:16  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pencilvanian

One thing I never see are pure nickel bullion bars for sale.

This isn’t exactly a nickel bar, but it is close, I don’t know the minimum order would be to buy them.

A good place to start an in depth research into all things nickel.

http:\\You must be logged in to see this link.

Cool. I need three guys to go in with me and split a pallet of four drums.

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  21:02:16  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
If INCO can't or won't sell, here are a few more nickel ingot sellers for you to choose from. Some are overseas, but that only means you can get a better price.
Globalization, you might as well use it before it uses you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2