Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Sort or simply Save?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

topeka
Penny Pincher Member

160 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  19:22:49  Show Profile Send topeka a Private Message
I have 8 boxes of U.S. nickels on the shelf. Is it worth the effort to treasure hunt/sort or should I just leave them boxed.

(is there any "treasure" to find in a box of nickels)

Silver..poor mans gold
Copper..peasant silver

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  19:46:58  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I have a ton of them but I don't sort. Someday when I have the time I just may do so. Just looking through a couple of boxes I have found a Buffalo nickel, 100% Canadian nickels, and a silver war nickel. So yes, I would say there are treasures to be found in U.S. nickels if you are willing to hand sort.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  18:16:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

I have a ton of them but I don't sort. Someday when I have the time I just may do so. Just looking through a couple of boxes I have found a Buffalo nickel, 100% Canadian nickels, and a silver war nickel. So yes, I would say there are treasures to be found in U.S. nickels if you are willing to hand sort.

You may already be aware of this, but if you are looking for pre 1982 Canadian nickels amongst your American cupro-nickels, my tip would be to just run over a strong magnet, and if you feel anything, then you know there is pure nickel in that roll.
Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  22:11:47  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
I had the flu big time about 6 weeks ago. Then and only then I decided to crack open my stored stash of nickel boxes. The results were just about as lousy as I felt. Not a single War Nick and only a few non-culls from the 1940s. I'm back to storing them on the shelf again (and hoping that I don't get sick...and desperate).

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  00:40:55  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I have a small Jar of nickels and I think I'm going to take Ardents cue and just save all I get.
D

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2