Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members
 Shipping Pennies the Proper Way
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  12:14:48  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I once shipped an entire mint sewn bag of 68-S pennies in one of those flat rate envelopes. Lots and lots of tape! That was really stretching the envelope. Of course back in those days postage was only $3.20 and you were allowed to use tape. My standard shipment was 2500 cents per envelope. I would split a bag of wheat cents into 2 packages and ship them that way. The postal folks used to tell me my packages were frequently the topic of discussion at the regional post office meetings. Then they changed the rules to not allow any tape reinforcement on the outside of the envelope. This was just to discourage me. I had to make interior sleeves for the flat rate envelopes and cut down the weight a little. This was before the days of the flat rate box. I figured they must have come up with the flat rate box just for me. Now anybody can ship substantial weights easily.. it takes some of the challenge out of it. 10,000 is about the max you can ship and 9500 works better because it gives you room to stengthen the interior packaging more. The small flat rate packages seem to be made out of thinner cardboard to me. I would use lots of tape if shipping those. I think 10 lbs is pretty easy, but would be hesitant to totally stuff one of those boxes. I have received 20 rolls of quarters in one from another member here.

Whatever member was able to do that must be a total shipping diety.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

lewbo
Penny Pincher Member

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  14:34:45  Show Profile Send lewbo a Private Message
good advice some folks that have shipped to me should follow, nothing like buying rolled coins and they arrive all shook up!
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  04:23:12  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Should you ever need to ship something light there are some good rules of thumb here: You must be logged in to see this link.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  20:19:56  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Hmmm.. good point.. but I never ship anything light.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Farmall
Penny Pincher Member

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  13:15:21  Show Profile Send Farmall a Private Message
okay,

Here's what I do. I use box Priority Mail Large Video Box (O-1096L)
9.25 x 6.25 x 2

I stuff it full then tape it up. Here's the trick. I use white school glue to glue the box inside the flate rate envelope. this way there is no chance of the two being seperated.

I've been doing it ever since the started the no tape on the outside the envelope deal with no problems.

PACK THE FORUM EVERY MONDAY NIGHT
Eastern 9 PM
Central 8 PM ( Forum Time )
Mountain 7 PM
Pacific 6 PM ( HCBTT Time)
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  15:01:48  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I shipped $100 in a Medium flat rate box using this method.

I used 2 Medium flat rate boxes. I slide one inside of another. I taped the inside one first then closed the bottom of the second and squeezed it till the flaps touched and taped the bottom shut. I put 3 strips along the seam and one strip to the right and left of the seam. I then taped 3 strips across the narrow part of the box. One in the middle and one to the right and left.

I then used 6 small flat rate boxes. I stood these up inside the medium box. When they are all in, you will be looking into the box and seeing 6 compartments.

I filled the boxes up, with some shaking I was able to get them to close and seal with the glue that is on the small boxes.

I then closed the inside Medium flat rate box and taped it well. I then closed the outside flat rate box. It will not close enough for the flaps to touch, I was able to get them to where there was about a 1/4 inch gap. Again use lots of tape.

I print my own labels, and use the label to over most of the gap and tape it down.

This method gives you a box that you could build a house with. VERY solid.

It weighs 69.6 lbs. about 6 ounces shy of the 70 lb limit.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

mascallw119

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:38:38  Show Profile Send mascallw119 a Private Message
I am now completely cross-eyed after reading the different posts on how pennies can be shipped without having your shipment come apart. I cannot speak for anyone else but I know what would help me is a few photos showing the HOW TO. Some of the post are very descriptive but the mental image for me is still lacking. For example I would like to see what the inner box tape reinforcement would look like as well as the outer part of the box. Up to this point my shipments have arrived in excellent condition but then again I have not tried to ship anything as heavy as rolls of pennies. Although, I have a very vivid imagination of the post office tossing those boxes around...reminds me of airport luggage handling (kind of scary).

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  00:35:45  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
You don't have to imagine the post office tossing these boxes around.. that is what really happens.

The inside taping is just a few strips in different directions. This adds additional structural integrety to the box. The outer taping uses a lot more tape. When you are done the entire box is cuccooned in tape.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  01:10:37  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
It's great that people like Hoard have been plugging away at this for so long. He started a pretty important thread over 2 years ago, and now someone kinda new (welcome, mascallw119) comes in and comments, and he's still the first on the scene to help. Thanks for all you do, Hoard.

I have a question... this thread talks about the 70 lb limit, and that necessitates a large flat rate box, right? So if you use the NEXT SIZE DOWN box, how much can fit? Anyone here using smaller boxes than the "$100 face value size" boxes?

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  00:33:21  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Nah.. experienced shippers never use the large box. Why would you want to pay more when you can get 70 pounds in the medium flat rate box?

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:10:29  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Oh, I see. My bad. I've never done this, so I assumed it needed to be in the large. So... you can get $100 in a medium; what about the "other-shaped" medium? And how much has been fit into the small?

From the USPS website:
Small Flat Rate Box (8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8")
Medium Flat Rate Box (11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2") ---------- $100 fits in this one? It's the one everyone uses?
Medium Flat Rate Box (11 7/8" x 3 3/8" x 13 5/8")

Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:16:42  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
The "other-shaped" medium box SCREAMS "I will rip open and spill my treasure all over the lobby floor"

It's thinner cardboard. Don't mess with it.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:27:34  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Okay then... let's talk small. I've shipped, I think, 24 rolls in a small box along with several other coins in 2x2s and loose... so I certainly didn't maximize it. If I'm reading SLICK right, he put $100 into six of those boxes, so about $16.67 each "loose, with shaking." Who has done more? How much more?

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  01:32:24  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The small boxes are thinner cardboard also. I hardly ever ship that small of an amount. I have received 20 rolls of quarters from another member here in one of the small flat rate boxes.

The other medium box is fine for shipping 4 boxes of zinc if you add a little filler and a lot of tape.

Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:00:42  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
But why would anyone want the zincs?

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  09:05:49  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
usually its the nice and shiny zincs....as in I will trade you my four boxes of new shiny zincs for some of your.....

Hey all you pennie shippers listen UP...My wife a USPS letter carrier would really appreciate being warned that the medium flat rate box you just stuffed with nearly 70 lbs of coin is heavy. Please write on the box "heavy" so she doesn't hurt herself....bad enough being chased by dogs while working....she says THANKYOU VERY MUCH
Go to Top of Page

mascallw119

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  15:06:08  Show Profile Send mascallw119 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

You don't have to imagine the post office tossing these boxes around.. that is what really happens.

The inside taping is just a few strips in different directions. This adds additional structural integrety to the box. The outer taping uses a lot more tape. When you are done the entire box is cuccooned in tape.

Thanks Hoard for your help and I will follow your directives as outlined in your posts. This is wonderful information especially for the newbees like myself.
Go to Top of Page

mascallw119

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  15:16:05  Show Profile Send mascallw119 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uthminsta

It's great that people like Hoard have been plugging away at this for so long. He started a pretty important thread over 2 years ago, and now someone kinda new (welcome, mascallw119) comes in and comments, and he's still the first on the scene to help. Thanks for all you do, Hoard.

I have a question... this thread talks about the 70 lb limit, and that necessitates a large flat rate box, right? So if you use the NEXT SIZE DOWN box, how much can fit? Anyone here using smaller boxes than the "$100 face value size" boxes?

Thanks for the welcome Uthminsta. I am glad you mentioned in your post that the Hoard's thread was over two years ago. Don't know how I missed that major detail....guess I was too busy reading the instructions. That information is very important and I am very grateful that is was still available for someone like me to be able to glean from it. Thanks again for the welcome.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  03:27:12  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Glad I could help mascallw. There is nothing worse than the PO busting open a box of coins during shipping.

Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  23:48:35  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Thanks to HCBTT and other great members here I am now a veteran shipper.So when a member asked about how to ship pennies I instantly pointed them to this post.I figured I would add my two cents and provide some pictures.This is the routine I follow,not saying its the only way just one way to go.My main focus here is the inner box and how I construct it with pix to maybe make it clearer for the novice shipper.So after taping the bottom of your outer box with overlaping tape in each direction and extra pieces over the corners and edges its time to make the inner box.Find the glued seam the holds it together and carefully open it.Now you have a flat box.

Next rip it down the center so you have 2 halfs

Now its necessary to remove the side flaps a small amount from the edges so it will fit easy,a sharp razor knife and a flat cutting surface are your friends here.

Tape the pieces at the bottoms so you have a easier time inserting them into your outer box.

Push them in and tape them in so they won't shift around when putting in your bags.

Then open a tyvek mailer at the seams for a lining for a extra layer of protection.

Tape the mailer in to save some frustration when packing in the bags.

You can then use another mailer to lay on top,tucking in the excess around the bags.
It may be necessary to remove a inch or two from the inner box flap edge before taping it,so the outer box will close without a gap.
After making a few of these you will get them to close perfectly and you can be confident that the pennies you ship will get to their destination intact even if they are mishandled,dropped,or used as a stress releiver for the overworked postal staff which I have to say do a very good job and should be respected for the job they do.Good luck and don't forget to use lots of tape

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2