Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 selling pennies as scrap metal?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  20:04:57  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
copper pennies are starting to catch on.

best get as many as you can while you can.

i'm going to ramp up my efforts.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  18:22:48  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Here is a jewelry site that offers a pre-built gas melting furnace, for those of us (like me) who would prefer a unit built than one I would have to build.

You must be logged in to see this link.

PEARSON GAS MELTING FURNACE

The Pearson gas melting furnace is ideal for precious metal melting and reduction of gold and silver. Also good for sand casting of aluminum, brass, bronze,(think pennies), glass blowing, and grey iron.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  05:39:11  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I realize you probably just stumbled across the aforementioned furnace but I can't seem to find all the info I'd like to about it, such as:

-it says you use gas, any idea if that is natural gas or propane?
-the dimensions of the crucible are mentioned but I'm assuming those are external dimensions. any idea what the internal dimensions are or basically what I'm looking for is how much does it melt at one time, and how small do the pieces you put in have to be? I assume pennies would fit but could you toss in aluminum cans (crushed even) or would you have to tear/cut/rip them first to fit it in?
-equally important, any idea how long it takes to melt one batch of whatever volume of metal it has capacity for? I realize different metals have different melting points so since this is the "selling pennies as scrap thread" lets go with how long to melt a batch of pennies.

I'm new to smelting, thinking of building my own but usually a DIY project for me either ends in eventually I get bored of trying to make it work or it costs more in the long run if you factor in frustration and the value I place on my free time...
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  08:15:57  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message

I took another look at the site

Gas Melting Pot Model #4 $530 model
Crucible Sizes: Dia: 4-3/4" - Height: 5-3/4"

Flask Sizes: 10 x 12 x 5-1/4" deep

Gas Melting Pot Model #8 $625 model
Crucible Sizes: Dia: 6-1/16" - Height: 7-3/16"
Flask Sizes: 12 x 14 x 5-1/4" deep

I can’t really tell what the inside of the crucible is from the picture or the description. It states there is an attachment for natural gas.
The company also offers crucibles for sale with their electric melter, I suppose they would fit into the gas furnace as well. Crucibles were designed to take the heat from any source, electric or natural gas.

I myself have not melted any copper or aluminum, but I did stumble across these sites, maybe you can get some advice from those who love casting as much as we love hoarding coins.

The site for backyard metal melters to large companies

I will look around for jewelers forums, since jewelry makers use smaller and easier to handle metal melters for gold and silver, I may be mistaken, but I think that copper and gold melt within 20 degrees F of each other.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:13:49  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Here is a source for old tech manuals. Several books are available including foundry methods on the cheap (i.e. using charcoal in a smelter made of flower pots!).

Never confuse motion with action.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  14:58:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
If one day scrap dealers except copper pennies how will they know they are all copper? I sappose they could take a few big handfulls and make sure everyone of those pennies is pre 1982 and then assume the rest are. But is there any other more scientific way?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  18:15:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Sure, all they have to do is make you dump all your coins into gallon buckets or 5 gallon or whatever. Best would be to just have a large tube with markings on the side so that whatever volume you had from say 1 gallon to 100 gallons they could fit it in. They they simply need to weigh it. Essentially they're checking the density of the coins you're bringing in.

Since all pennies are the same size and shape they'll take up the same volume, but since pre 1982's weighs about 25% more than post 1982's, if you're off by so many percent they'll know your mix isn't pure. Now of course you could probably get away with say 2% post 1982, just depends on how accurate they can weigh and some pennies will have dirt or corrosion affecting their weight. Even if you are off by the acceptable margin of error, they may still take them and just give you a lower price per pound, or they'll kick you out.

If all they did was grab a handfull off the top of your pile that you're trucking in, guess what....you'll probably put all the post 1982's on the botton of the pile and the pre 1982's on the top of the pile . Of course when you dump the pile out, or scoop it out or whatever, the bottom of the pile will then become the top, so they may still catch you but I doubt they're that thorough, not that I advocate cheating anyone. Just saying picking a handfull off the top wouldn't be a good idea on their part.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  19:25:08  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message

What happens to United States coins that are no longer fit for circulation?

"Those coins are classified either as uncurrent or as mutilated. Coins that are chipped, fused, and not machine-countable are considered mutilated. The Mint redeems mutilated coins at the value of their metal content.

Mutilated coins are only redeemable through the United States Mint at:
United States Mint
P.O. Box 400
Philadelphia, PA 19105
(215) 408-0203

Uncurrent coins are worn, but machine-countable, and their genuineness and denomination are still recognizable. Uncurrent coins are replaced with new coins of the same denomination by the Federal Reserve Banks, then forwarded to the United States Mint. All uncurrent or mutilated coins received by the Mint are melted, and the metal is shipped to a fabricator to be recycled in the manufacture of coinage strips."

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  21:19:23  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
It is apparent that anyone that is melting or about to melt cents for the Copper has not gone to a coin show lately. It is also apparent that there is no knowledge of the numerous error coins that are now bringing some hefty amounts of money. If you are interested in just what is possibly there, go to the coppercoins.com web site. People melting coins may be loosing thousands for pennies.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  08:43:52  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
Please enlighten us, Carl. What is going on at coin shows now? Last one I went to was just over a year ago, and I went to unload some common date proof sets. Other than that I did a little looking around, and I don't recall seeing a lot of error coins on display. How common are errors? For example, do we stand a good chance of finding one error out of a $25 box of circulated cents if we look hard enough, or are they more rare than that? Time is money, too, especially since I have two young children, and the time I have to spend with them is extremely valuable to me and to them as well.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:29:06  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
Like I said people that melt pennies (cents) are just blowing chances of making some good money easily. I go to at least 2 to 5 coin shows a month around here. Some of the most common coins that used to barely sell are going for outrageous prices. There is an amazing surge in coin collecting lately that is not likely to subside. When you look up the quantity of many Copper coins mented and think about our exploding population and people that melt Copper coinage it becomes easy to see why the coin collecting market has surged to unpresedented hights.
THINK. Out population in the USA has attained 300,000,000. At least 1% or many, many more collect coins. That would mean there are 3,000,000 people looking for cents that may have only a few million minted, many distroyed for the Copper. This is why the coin market is becoming a gigantic buisness. At a recent coin show in Florida there was reported approximately 1,700 dealers of coins. If you check you'll notice there are numerous coin collecting forums on the internet. Go to something like PCGS web site and request coin shows. They are everywhere lately. Coin stores, coin shops, coin counters in department stores, at flea markets, etc. And someone is melting Copper coins for a few pennies?????????? Makes no CENTS.
Like I said previously, check out the coppercoins web site. There are error coins in every year. Some are now in the thousands of dollars. Just think if anyone melts down a 1922plain Lincoln Cent they just melted $27,500 for about $0.013 in Copper. The famous 55Double Die Cent now goes for $11,500 and that too is less than a nickel in Copper. Not real smart.

Carl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2