Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Long Term Nickel Storage Underground
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markshell

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  13:18:00  Show Profile Send markshell a Private Message
Hi all, this is my first post on RealCent, been lurking for several months. Love this place!

Need some opinions...

I'm a very small-time nickel sorter, buying a box or so a month, sorting out the War Nicks, Pre-60s, and just started separating out the 1960's for kicks.

I'm not returning my sorted nicks to the bank; rather, I've saved up a lot of washed out glass jars with metal lids (like jars for pickles, jelly, nuts, anything that seems to seal well), and putting my non-special nickels in them.

After I accumulated about $800 or so in nicks, I buried some on a small wooded lot I own, privately and discretely, carefully concealing the spot. I put them compactly into the jars, screwed the lids on tight, then placed them into a garbage bag, and then into a semi-sealed plastic knock-off Rubbermaid storage container (about 3'x2'x 2.5' in size). These containers are not air tight, but serve to keep water from draining and accumulating into the jars. The lot is not prone to flooding and is very sandy, only about 6-8 inches of topsoil. I buried them in the plastic container about 2 feel down. Don't hit water in this area until you get about 15 feet down. This is in northern Illinois, somewhat close to Lake Michigan.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: do you think this will be an adequate storage solution for say, at least 5-6 years? The glass jars themselves have metal lids with rubberized seals, and seem to seal okay. Or what alternatives do I have? I'm thinking really cheap, here if at all possible, and I'd like to bury my stash for long term retrieval.

Edited by - markshell on 07/11/2010 13:38:50

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  14:01:13  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
What about the lids rusting?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

markshell

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  14:04:31  Show Profile Send markshell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

What about the lids rusting?

Deal

I dunno, that's why I was asking. I did put a garbage bag around the jars, plus put them into the storage container.

Do you think they would rust in 5-6 years, in a relatively dry ground area?
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  14:39:26  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
If you're using ball jars. The lids will rust from the outside in.

the best jar would be the ones with glass lids.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  14:51:56  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
or use those little sillica(?) packs to absorb moisture or melt some wax and "dip" the ends to "seal" the metal parts under wax.

Welcome to the conversation!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

markshell

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:18:36  Show Profile Send markshell a Private Message
Thanks much for the replies. Love the helpfulness of folks here!

Yeah, I suppose I should be concerned about the rust... any thoughts on how long before I need to dig up my stash and re-do the whole thing? Would it last for a couple years like that before it rusts through? It's not a real wet environment, being on high ground.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:44:41  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
If you did like Kurr said, or even smeared a big gob of axle grease (really cheap)over the jar top and put the jar into a coffee can, and buried it upside down.

Maybe...1500-2000 years.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:48:12  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Heck, even the mummies they find in Egypt were sealed up with bitumen (a type of tar)
and cotton cloth strips

And they held up pretty well.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:52:32  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I have

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

DoctorMetal
Penny Sorter Member

40 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:56:13  Show Profile Send DoctorMetal a Private Message
OK, I'll take a stab at the question about the time it takes to rust. This is a typical science fair project. There would be at least three factors involved: (1) the scrap content and/or mix of metals in the lids, a quality control process that depends on who manufactured the lids; (2) the acidity of the soil, sandy soil in a northern climate and close to a lake would likely be very acidic, thus enabling quicker oxidation; and (3)the environmental or weather conditions topside, and more specifically, how easily oxygen and water travel thru the soil. Factors 2 and 3 sound like a given, and Factor 1 is unknown, so I'd say the lids will start rusting about 66% of the time into the 5-6 year holding period; i.e., about 3.3 years. Once they start rusting, I'd estimate lid breakdown within a year and a half of that, maybe sooner, given that higher ground tends to have more seismic activity than lower ground.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:56:24  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I have a lot of nickels stored in screw on lids plastic protein powder containers. Cheap if you already have them.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  16:15:29  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
Ardent, its my understanding you have quite a hoard of nickels. Do you also sort them? I was wondering if people just keep them in boxes and stack em rather than store them in containers. I was thinking of trying to fill up a 5 gallon with Nicks just to have one and have something to look at Whats the benefit of keeping them in containers (just privacy)
Go to Top of Page

markshell

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  18:02:37  Show Profile Send markshell a Private Message
Interesting... don't think I need them to last 1500 years, heck, I'd be happy with 15.

Thanks for the replies -- good info.

Okay, now let's say my jar lids rust through after 3.3 years, and a small amount of moisture gets into a few of my jars of nickels...

Do nickels rust? Or corrode?? As much as steel or worse?? I know they're 75% copper and 25% nickel, right? Is it a copper sandwich, with nickel on the outside? Or is it an alloy mixture throughout? What will happen to my bright shiny beauties after Mr. Rain gets through to them??

Edited by - markshell on 07/11/2010 18:06:56
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  19:12:27  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by markshell

Interesting... don't think I need them to last 1500 years, heck, I'd be happy with 15.

Thanks for the replies -- good info.

Okay, now let's say my jar lids rust through after 3.3 years, and a small amount of moisture gets into a few of my jars of nickels...

Do nickels rust? Or corrode?? As much as steel or worse?? I know they're 75% copper and 25% nickel, right? Is it a copper sandwich, with nickel on the outside? Or is it an alloy mixture throughout? What will happen to my bright shiny beauties after Mr. Rain gets through to them??

U.S. nickles are an alloy of pure 25% nickel and 75% copper solid all the way through them. They won't rust or corrode. You could just dig a hole in the ground and bury them without any real damage.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  19:21:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TXBullion

Ardent, its my understanding you have quite a hoard of nickels. Do you also sort them? I was wondering if people just keep them in boxes and stack em rather than store them in containers. I was thinking of trying to fill up a 5 gallon with Nicks just to have one and have something to look at Whats the benefit of keeping them in containers (just privacy)

No, I'm too lazy..err....I mean busy to sort them now. I plan to do so when I retire someday.

5 gallons of nickels would be dam heavy to move and might break the bottle if you tried.

I have most of my nickels in sealed boxes. About $1000 is in rolls that I put into the plastic containers that weigh about 40 pounds each.

If you sort them of course you would have to open the boxes. You could just re-roll them and put them back into the boxes. But if you didn't want to re-roll them you could just dump them into containers and wait for the melt ban to end.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  20:48:20  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
I think the 5 gallon is more long storage as if you fill it to the top, you need to either dolly it or empty half of it before moving (if its about the same as pennies)
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  22:52:28  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Mark,
Go to any pizzeria where you order food from and ask them for their hot pepper jugs(empty of course) or bleu cheese jugs if they get in the one gallon jugs. They will be large enough to hold quite a few but not too large where you can't lift them. All plastic as well

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  02:54:55  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
75 years from now some lucky kid in a space suit is going to be metal detecting in the area formally known as Northern Illinois and he is going to come upon a massive primitive stash of pre-Confederation, US era monetary disk units! S C O R E !!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

markshell

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:26:00  Show Profile Send markshell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolvesdad

75 years from now some lucky kid in a space suit is going to be metal detecting in the area formally known as Northern Illinois and he is going to come upon a massive primitive stash of pre-Confederation, US era monetary disk units! S C O R E !!!

Well, after all, "it's all about the kids".

Always willing to get the next generation interested in monetary disk unit collection...
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  14:36:53  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
I'm not sure if anyone here has suggested the use of old liquid laundry detergent bottles before. They are made of thick plastic and have a very sturdy handle built into it. Unlike one gallon milk containers, they are very rugged and can handle the weight of the coins. Everyone does laundry, so you can get them for free from multiple family members and friends (I tell them it is for school projects for our three year-old). Once they are filled you can carry them to there final hiding spot. I place the partially filled bottles in the laundry room next to the washing machine. It blends in very well there. I think as long as you wash all the bottles cleanly, there shouldn't be any type of chemical reaction with the coins.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:18:41  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
The Nickels themselves won't be damaged even if the lids rust. I'd just put a tarp underneath and around everything so they can't drift away down into the earth. Things have a way of settling downward over the years, as I found when burying "dead" GI Joes as a kid, haha.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

Aristobolus
Penny Sorter Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  23:58:35  Show Profile Send Aristobolus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TXBullion

I have been filling up a 5 Gallon for the last few years. But you TX Folk always think big! What about a barrel? I remember when I was a kid, one of my friend's dad had one filled with Wheats. It looked cool.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  02:26:30  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I've heard of those barrels on ebay!

Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  16:33:27  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I have had this idea to take a large PVC pipe, 8-12 inches in diameter in a section 1-3 feet long storing what I need in it and plug the ends with the PVC end and then bury it.

It you bury it right, and some one accidentaly finds it, no one would crack it open thinking they have just reached a plugged pipe unless they uncover the whole thing at once. Large area to store if you pack it right.

Haven't priced this, but I have looked at it a time or two.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  23:22:36  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I know that PVC would be a bad idea for SILVER. Not sure though if PVC does tarnish nickels also.

I think it does tarnish Copper.
Good thinking, but I think it may not be that great after all for coins.

Go to Top of Page

Klark Cent
Penny Sorter Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  21:32:00  Show Profile Send Klark Cent a Private Message
Hello,

So what all reasons are there to bury your nickels?

1) to avoid having them stolen
2) to avoid provoking a home invasion (like if a plumber sees them)
3) save space above ground

Anything else?

Just curious.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2