Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 firearms or PM
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GA-Silver
Penny Pincher Member

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:07:31  Show Profile Send GA-Silver a Private Message
Are you putting most of your spare money into PM or guns as investments/hedge against inflation?

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:47:05  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
Firearms first Pms second.. got to protect them somehow right?
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  17:05:01  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
With me recently it's been firearms. And ammo.... What good are all the PM's in the world if you can't hold onto them?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  17:32:46  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
What firearms and PM?? I don't have any firearms or PM!!

Seriously, the only two people who know what I have are my uncle (who's my best friend and personal firearms guru) and my fiancee. Everything is well-hidden except a little extra ammo I keep within reach, just in case.

But yeah, what Deal and others said--make sure you have your ammo squared away first, then buy PMs.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  17:43:43  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
But how many firearms is enough? Not kidding, serious question.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uthminsta

But how many firearms is enough? Not kidding, serious question.

It's the same how much copper, silver or gold are enough!
Go to Top of Page

brian0918
Penny Collector Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  18:03:39  Show Profile  Send brian0918 an AOL message Send brian0918 a Private Message
What, Pb is not a PM?

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand

Searched: $2230 Nickels; Liberty: 1; Buffalo: 4; War: 20; 2009: 2; 2010D: 8
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  20:34:59  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
my thoughts are that i can only fire one gun at a time, as long as i have ammo of course.

get a reliable rifle, shotgun and handgun so youre prepared for whatever situation.

then buy ammo at the same pace as pm's.

buy more guns as you can.

and learn to shoot them. a gun is only as good as the guy behind it.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  20:49:42  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
Have several pistol's and Rifles need a shot gun as At 72 I shake before I pick up a weapon. #2 Son loaned me a 22 with lazier its a kick.

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  20:53:19  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
A pretty goodlocal auctioneer recently said gun sale prices were going up 10% a monthon the average.

Thats a good return!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  22:08:32  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

A pretty goodlocal auctioneer recently said gun sale prices were going up 10% a monthon the average.

Thats a good return!

Did he say if that was the case with all calibers or which calibers were selling best?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  23:59:23  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Besides the member who caught the fish with the gold ampex lure,you can't hunt with PM's.Maybe you can distract a attacker or mob by throwing your gold or silver between you and them.But I'll keep adding to my gun and ammo stash,then food preps,then PM's.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

spartan_b88
Penny Sorter Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  17:51:43  Show Profile Send spartan_b88 a Private Message
I always pick up a few boxes of ammo at wallyworld for my 9mm when they have them.

I have heard that they may be trying to put serial numbers on the brass to keep track of where they came from which is why ammo suppliers aren't making as much as they could.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  19:01:51  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by spartan_b88

I have heard that they may be trying to put serial numbers on the brass to keep track of where they came from which is why ammo suppliers aren't making as much as they could.

This is probably an urban legend (at the moment). Got any links to substantiate this?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  15:19:42  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
Lead is a precious metal!
Anyways,I am saving to buy 2 more pistols, an ak-74, and then 1000 rounds of ammunition for each of my firearms. And then I'll start buying more PM's.

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  15:35:59  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i read once where preppers and doomers have a tendency to imagine a crisis that matches their interests. if you are a gun enthusiast, you imagine riots and wars. if you are a gardener, you imagine food shortages. you get the picture.

point is you may or may not need a gun. you are less likely to need several. i think there is a high likelihood that the currency will collapse. a gun is not going to protect your savings and investments.

the marginal utility of guns drops a lot after the first one. buy one, then buy pms and food. as funs allow, buy different types of guns. guns would not be the focus of my prepping.

there are a lot of other preps you can do in lieu of a gun. strengthen doors and windows. exterior lighting. alarms. dog (guard dog). plywood or metal sheeting for windows. door braces. safes and caches.

point is its easy to go overboard on one thing because guns can be fun. there are a lot of bases to cover, don't just cover one.

also, its very possible that we have a financial collapse and one never needs a gun. from what i know of the Great Depression, you didn't need one then any more than you need one today. if the dollar is devalued vs gold overnight, you'll be disappointed you invested all of your savings in guns rather than pms

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  17:04:02  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

i read once where preppers and doomers have a tendency to imagine a crisis that matches their interests. if you are a gun enthusiast, you imagine riots and wars. if you are a gardener, you imagine food shortages. you get the picture.

point is you may or may not need a gun. you are less likely to need several. i think there is a high likelihood that the currency will collapse. a gun is not going to protect your savings and investments.

the marginal utility of guns drops a lot after the first one. buy one, then buy pms and food. as funs allow, buy different types of guns. guns would not be the focus of my prepping.

there are a lot of other preps you can do in lieu of a gun. strengthen doors and windows. exterior lighting. alarms. dog (guard dog). plywood or metal sheeting for windows. door braces. safes and caches.

point is its easy to go overboard on one thing because guns can be fun. there are a lot of bases to cover, don't just cover one.

also, its very possible that we have a financial collapse and one never needs a gun. from what i know of the Great Depression, you didn't need one then any more than you need one today. if the dollar is devalued vs gold overnight, you'll be disappointed you invested all of your savings in guns rather than pms

Today's extreme entitlement mentality wasn't the rule 80 years ago. If TSHTF, people will want what you have regardless of the legality or morality of it. Refer back to this thread:

You must be logged in to see this link.

I'd rather have my guns and not need them than to need them and not have them.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  17:07:15  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
fair point, but also consider that there was no safety net at all back then. today there is unemployment, section 8 housing, food stamps, etc. to cushion the blow.

point is it may be better to have 1 or 2 guns, a guard dog, some food, and some pms than 10 guns, not much food, and fewer pms.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  17:11:27  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:

Good post. Also too you have to consider how liquid guns are compared to precious metals.

But let's consider the scenario of an economic recovery. Guns then would still be in demand just because a lot of people like guns. Maybe they would be even higher demand because more people could afford them. A lot of people like gold & silver bullion coins too, but during the years when gold & silver prices were asleep guns were in high demand. If we were to see an economic recovery then I believe guns would hold their value more so than precious metals.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  18:31:38  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I'm not worried about guns as a store of value, I'm worried about them as a means of protection. But overall, right now I'm putting about 70 percent of my preps money toward food and 30 percent toward ammo and saving up for a couple guns. I want to get both my food and protection to a level where I feel comfortable before I start buying PMs again.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  20:47:24  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:

Good post, but....

I too see guns as very "liquid" should the need arise. Everyone knows what a gun is.

There are perks to having several guns. Let's say I'm heavy into guns, and a buddy is heavy on food or whatever. Guns can be traded and I would assume be very valuable. If you are in a group safety is easier if everyone is armed. Plenty to go around, hehe.

Those welfare programs you mentioned are the reason why MORE guns are needed. These people have never "wanted" for anything. Once the handouts are stopped, desperation will set in unlike any ever seen before.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  21:34:28  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
if we had a Great Depression of the same caliber of 1929, our self-centered, boozing, sex crazed populous would be rioting, running gangs, and taking whatever the could by force (strongest survive).

I pray we don't have another Great Depression.... the morality and pride that held us together back then ........ have gone by the wayside.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  21:41:09  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
Agreed, wolvesdad. One can look back to the 30's and try to draw hypothetical parallels, however today's society is vastly different. Guns would definitely be needed during an extended economic collapse.

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  05:45:02  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
agree that guns are liquid and generally retain their value.

the difference between guns and food is if you buy the kind of food you like to eat, you really can't have enough of it. guns in contrast are like insurance and you can be overinsured.

differnece between guns and pms in my mind are while guns will retain their value, if paper currencies collapse pms will have a major reset in price, say 10x, but other things like guns will not.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  20:23:09  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Why not talk about this by RATIOS.

WIll the ratio between PM's and Guns be more or less in each possible scenario. If the ratio is wider in x scenario, it means that one has done better.

RATIO's seem to be a more accurate term for discussing predictions.

Lemmon you mention a major reset in price... of 10x... if currencies collapse, then currency will have NO value and price will have to be measured in some other form.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  21:06:58  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolvesdad

Why not talk about this by RATIOS.

WIll the ratio between PM's and Guns be more or less in each possible scenario. If the ratio is wider in x scenario, it means that one has done better.

RATIO's seem to be a more accurate term for discussing predictions.

Lemmon you mention a major reset in price... of 10x... if currencies collapse, then currency will have NO value and price will have to be measured in some other form.

Like lead....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2