Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Roadside grasses as a post-SHTF food source?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  04:12:15  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
As I was making my weekly trek to western KY last weekend, I saw the grain-like appearance of the ever-present roadside grasses along the highway and wondered about its viability as a food source post-SHTF. Is this strain of grass with the seed heads worth anything nutritionally as a grain source? Granted, I know you'd want to get grass at the top of a hill that wouldn't be as affected by industrial/vehicle runoff, but I couldn't help but wonder about this as a possible wild food source. Any insights?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  09:03:06  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
The grass heads my not be worth the effort, calorically.

Insects are the food source I would depend on. I got over the aversion to them during basic combat survival training.

Six legged bugs are safe to eat (no flies or roaches).

They don't taste bad and you don't have to cook them. Earthworms termites and grubs taste like dirt or wood. Ants are tangy. Grasshoppers taste like grass. And I imagine they would be good fried in peanut oil.

You can start getting over your aversion by eating meal worms, commonly sold a fish bait. They taste like the bran meal they're packaged in.

When you get comfortable eating bugs, it's fum to gross your friends out by just popping a worm in your mouth.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  17:35:23  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

You probably wouldn't get nearly the nutrition compared to cultivated serial grains, but in a pinch....

Sythe, thresh and winnow!

Even better if it can be malted!

Excerpt:

A Fresh Look A Green Grasses
When you think about it by far, humans eat more grasses than they realize. Oats, wheat, corn, and rice are all grasses in the truest sense.

The seeds of all grasses are edible. Grasses are distinguished easily by their hollow stems and joined stems. Wild rice is one example of grass staple foods that have been used by indigenous peoples around the world.

Other grasses are the many kinds of sorghums and millets found in the tropics. Take a look in the direction of Europe, Asia, North America, South America, and Australia -- and you'll find wild oats in each place. Even some types of bamboos are grasses, and they also produce edible seeds, along with the highly edible young shoots.

The grains of grasses are eaten raw, parched, pounded into flours, and roasted.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  12:33:19  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

The grass heads my not be worth the effort, calorically.

Insects are the food source I would depend on. I got over the aversion to them during basic combat survival training.

Six legged bugs are safe to eat (no flies or roaches).

They don't taste bad and you don't have to cook them. Earthworms termites and grubs taste like dirt or wood. Ants are tangy. Grasshoppers taste like grass. And I imagine they would be good fried in peanut oil.

You can start getting over your aversion by eating meal worms, commonly sold a fish bait. They taste like the bran meal they're packaged in.

When you get comfortable eating bugs, it's fum to gross your friends out by just popping a worm in your mouth.

I'll ask my fiancee if she wants me to cook for her next weekend! Thanks for the info, Thogey.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  02:35:14  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
I wondered who that was taking all of those pictures along the road!

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2