Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Just starting with rolls from banks - any tips?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theedudenator

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  18:42:43  Show Profile Send theedudenator a Private Message
My local Chase bank carries very few rolls, and wants the coins in bulk to load in their machine - so this is my dump bank.

I have a Harris bank close to me. They seem to have unlimited rolls of halves and pennies. These are all bank tight rolls from Harris PA
So I get 25 rolls of halves - all were worn real bad - not even good for a book.
20 rolls of pennies - 3 wheats
Most of the coins were from 1990's

I was on a bit of a road trip and stopped at a local bank.
I asked for 10 rolls of pennies.
These were in plastic wrap? never seen this before.
These had a good mix. Found 1935S and some other S cents.
maybe 2-3wheats per roll.
5 rolls of quarters - all heavily worn.

So are my odds better if I ask a bank to order me a box?

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  21:26:23  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Glad you joined us. As for which is better box or wrapped coin it can go either way. The key is to just go through as many as you can.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
Penny Sorter Member

86 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  21:52:27  Show Profile Send BamaJoe a Private Message
Welcome. Dakota1955 has it right. The thing to do is to just keep sorting. I'm a small time copper sorter compared to some here. I just try to knock out a box a week and have been at it around 2 years. Stay with it and it builds up - I just hit $900 in copper.
Go to Top of Page

theedudenator

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  22:23:13  Show Profile Send theedudenator a Private Message
Actually I am looking to fill a penny book with the kids.
I have not saved any copper...

Is it really going to go up that much in value? For the work required?
Go to Top of Page

SANITARIUM_INMATE
Penny Pincher Member

211 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  22:38:16  Show Profile Send SANITARIUM_INMATE a Private Message
congrats on the $900 BamaJoe.
As far as the worth it to keep the copper ones question. It really depends on the persons expenses to get these copper ones. If your percentages are so low that you waste more gas getting to the bank than what you find, then you might need to order more boxes from the bank and make less trips. Copper is a natural resource that can and will in time become hard to get. Most people here are banking on the government getting rid of the melt ban and making it worth more by drying up the rest of the copper coins from circulation. These people are hard at it with machines doing their sorting for them with $1000's already sorted and stashed away. Many like to sort enough to sell for a quick profit, being that if you had $100 of copper cents then you might sell them for anywhere around $160-$170. Like I said it really depends on the person and what you want out of it that makes it really worth it. Personally I just like looking at coins and I hand sort so I might find any error coins that might be in there.
Go to Top of Page

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  04:36:09  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SANITARIUM_INMATE

Personally I just like looking at coins and I hand sort so I might find any error coins that might be in there.

Same here. Add to that that I have a job that involves a lot of down time, which I fill with sorting. I've found a couple of "Wide A-M" types, and lots of BU's and wheats. Copper find rates for me are around 25-30%, and I have found a bank with more customer-wrapped rolls than they know what to do with!
Go to Top of Page

harley1
Penny Pincher Member

140 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:40:18  Show Profile Send harley1 a Private Message
what part of the country are you from?i have been getting 30% in NW wis.or just over 5 lbs of copper out of each box/bag now totaling 1225 lbs or $1800.00. as said before,just keep sorting as much as you can

Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:46:50  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by harley1

what part of the country are you from?i have been getting 30% in NW wis.or just over 5 lbs of copper out of each box/bag now totaling 1225 lbs or $1800.00. as said before,just keep sorting as much as you can

I'm in Maine. I think my running tally has me around 27%. Just started, though...I'm only up to about $150.00 searched so far, all by hand. The bank teller invited me to come back as often as I can to get more, so I think they have a vauly full of pennies they want gone.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  12:47:38  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
The plastic rolls are Brinks rolls.

My advice would be try to get loose bags instead of rolls. It should save the bank some money and you a lot of time. I also reccomend keeping the copper.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  17:44:49  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by highroller4321

The plastic rolls are Brinks rolls.

My advice would be try to get loose bags instead of rolls. It should save the bank some money and you a lot of time. I also reccomend keeping the copper.

Wow. That is almost exactly what I was going to say. Great minds think alike....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  22:51:22  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
BAGS, BAGS, BAGS. That is all I want to deal with now. Just cut and pour.

Check the local credit unions for lobby machines. I have a few that will sell the bags off of the machines. I go in the day before the armored car service picks them up. That way I get a whole weeks worth of bags.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  23:57:24  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by theedudenator

Actually I am looking to fill a penny book with the kids.
I have not saved any copper...

Is it really going to go up that much in value? For the work required?

If you are not convinced yet, just set an extra cup/box close to where you are sorting. If you get three coppers in a row then use about 1/2 sec and a pinch of energy and drop them into the cup/box.

Before you know it you'll have a box of copper and later, when you do get convinced on the value, you won't kick yourself that hard.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2