Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions
 Deepwater Horizon Gulf Coast Oil Spill
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  22:21:02  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
20 miles out, little nuke, there will be no tsunami.

All that sh#t is comming ashore anyway.

It should be set ablaze where it is now.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  22:29:28  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
What's the half life of a radioactive particle from a nuke?

How many gallons of water will be "radiated and stay that way for how long?

How many particles of radiated matter does it take to sett off the "cancers, tumors, radiation sickness etc etc in the human body?

How much of those radiated particles will evaporate and find its way into our fields? Aquifers? Fruits? Vegetables? Meats?

You have some background in this I believe. More technical than I , I would bet, though I do not know what training you received.

quote:
As early as May 9 it was announced that FEMA evacuation protocol for forest fires in and around Tampa, Florida could be activated at a moment's notice in the event of the oil slick approaching Florida's coastline. One proposal is to undergo a 'controlled burn' of surface oil in the Gulf to prevent the oil reaching Florida's coast. This would result in highly toxic fumes blowing ashore. In fact, toxic fumes have already been reported elsewhere as Gulf residents complain of breathing difficulties and nausea:

Oil is semi-volatile, which means that it can evaporate into the air and create a heavy vapor that stays near the ground -- in the human breathing zone. When winds whip up oily sea water, the spray contains tiny droplets -- basically a fume -- of oil, which are small enough to be inhaled deep into the lungs. We know that's happening in the Gulf Coast, because people are reporting a heavy oily smell in the air. Already my colleagues in Louisiana are reporting that people in the coastal community of Venice, Louisiana are suffering from nausea, vomiting, headaches, and difficulty breathing.

The following eyewitness account came to our attention yesterday:

Hi all,

Making this quick, don't feel well. About 4:15pm or so eastern, coming back from Tampa, Florida north on Veteran's Expressway...about 7 miles perhaps from SR 54...it sprinkled some gray watery and solid black oil on my car. Thought it was bugs, but so fast did not make sense and windshield wipers just smeared it. Got out of car at store and looked on the paint and solid black dots on my car...I touch? huh? it's wet? it's OIL!!!!!

I had several folks verify it before I sprayed it off and it came off easier than the few love bugs. Two hours later still wet like OIL! nope, not water, smell it, OIL!!!

Anyone on Gulf try not to smear touch it as it is harder to wash off if it happens to you. Bands of storm clouds coming this way from Gulf of Mexico...has not actually rained at least where I have been, just ran through the sprinkle. I smell it now I am inside the house...it's just hard for me to believe also. One can think of a other things...oh maybe it was a vehicle in front of you...there was no vehicles near me at the time. So coincidence oil spill in the gulf and it rains oil on my car? okay believe what you will...but I know my gut and what happened to me, what I saw, others witnessed, I took pics of (sorry don't know how to post them, and it photos could be debatable anyway, take my word or not whichever...but we are in deep hocky doo folks.

I was noticing that big black blotch closer to west coast FL on some images that someone posted yesterday on Disasters board...wondering. Well, maybe wrong board but felt more may see it here and ones that live here. Be careful, if it gets on your clothes, pets, hair, eyes, skin...it won't be so easy to wash off as a well waxed car is.

Not checking this for now, gotta wash out my ears, eyes, nose and lay down...change clothes as I smell it now inside the house on my clothes. I did not smell it while out though and my nose is now desensitizing, but I feel nauseated. I am really sensitive though, some may not be so much or get the heavy warnings I do.

Thanks for letting me post this bopp, if you want to move it, okay with me I understand...maybe nobody pay attention anyway and I am not super pops here as it is!

~ Eve

If a regular storm can displace oil like this, what would a hurricane do in the upcoming hurricane season? This season is predicted to be 'fierce', by the way. If weather systems can dump fish and frogs there's no reason why oil couldn't be lifted clean into the atmosphere to then fall back to the ground many miles inland. Stranger things have happened.

There is also the dispersal agent 'Corexit 9500' that BP has been used in unprecedented amounts (700,000 gallons). Sounds like very toxic stuff (it's banned in many countries around the world because it is so toxic), and fishermen have already reported getting sick from inhaling it. What are the chances that any oil that either evaporates off into the atmosphere from 'controlled burns' or is lifted clear from the water by storms then falls back to land with this toxic chemical mixed in with it?

Anybody want to buy some cheap housing in Florida? I bet it's coming SOON! I want to be a landlord. Them people are going to go somewhere.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  22:34:23  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I'm not saying my idea is perfect.

But it might suck less than an oil volcano going off for 20 years.

No, I'm not an engineer, definitely talking out my a$$.

But this idea might make more sense than doing nothing

edit to add:

New Orleans and Destin and two of my most favorite places.
This whole situation is personally painful.

I'll ask the Almighty to forgive us and heal this land.

Edited by - thogey on 05/29/2010 22:41:35
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  00:35:07  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
wow, so many opinions on this subject and some false assumptions as well. I work for Halliburton as a Drilling fluids engineer as well as my two brothers and an uncle. I have two other uncles in the oil field Industry as well, one sells/manufactures all the springworks for oil field equipment such as the B.O.P. (Blow out preventer) stack that failed and the other works for Boots and Coots well control services. I have also recieved serveral correspondence e-mails about this incident that detail what Halliburton's role was and what PSL (product service line) was involved. I'm not really sure as to where to begin addressing some of the posts but whew.

Bit of info/thoughts here:

-Currently there are two relief wells being drilled that plan to intersect the original cased wellbore to relieve the pressure. Once this is done, most likely they would use heavy weight drilling fluids to effectively "kill the well". Once this has been done, it can be cemented in.

-Yea!!, Obama is closing down gulf coast drilling until??? Wow, amazingly stupid. Where will these offshore platforms go if they are not drilling? These are some real expensive platforms and must produce revenue for the drilling contractors. Best bet is they might go ahead and move on down to Brazil. That may be a costly move but if you can't use equipment your out of business. Umm more foreign oil....... The gulf will literaly become a ghost town and we will be really hooked on foreign oil's tit then.

-I hear comments like they should of had a plan on how to handle this, They did and still do. Funny how some sit back and think you should be able to plan for anything and everything. How do you plan for a situation you have never dealt with before? What do you do when your B.O.P. fails at 5,000 ft with immense Barometric pressure. Well you've seen the attempts to shut it off before having to rely on the relief wells to be drilled, what do you do when your plan A,B,C,D,E,F,G.... dosen't work? Keep trying!!

Well I'll come back later just too much to write about for now, tried not to get into this but one of Kurr's conspiracy type comments almost got to me, although its what can be expected from him and it made me smile a bit as well.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  00:51:46  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Drilling fluids engineer, is that like a mud-man?

The engineering that goes into this stuff is awesome.

There is so much we don't know. How big is the field? Is there any way of knowing if a relief well will affect the broken well?

I agree, though, it is funny how the criticism evolves into "they should have had a plan"

Domestic oil production should continue independent of this mess.

Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  08:20:14  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  11:12:08  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Most interesting talk here lately.

One wonders as to what is foreign oil? Is BP a US company?

A little confused on that one I am...

As far as a plan, well where to start with that one, How about... why not? How about...What exactly was plan A,B,C,D,E,F,G.... as I am not sure I have had the privilege to hear about them?

Was the big box A or B?

I agree... Keep Trying!

Accidents happen, we are all well aware of that. I do not assume that there can be a plan that solves every unknown that may occur in life. I do believe that once a project is decided upon like this deep sea drilling that some sort of process to contain should a "accident happen" be thought about. When dealing with such vital resource that is dependent upon by the entire planet (The Ocean and Oil) a little forethought to potential "accidents" seems relevant enough to discuss.

I am not an engineer and do not proclaim to have an answer.

I do find it odd that incidents such as this seem to end in favor of a chosen few. Providing cause for intervention and control by the same individuals that had their hands involved with the inception.

Call it what you will it is rather the coincidence all the same.

I appreciate we have an individual among us that may be able to shed some light as to the real goings on and the struggle to contain the "accident".

I am sure that all hands are on deck and the brightest minds are currently working 24/7 to solve this soon.

img]

You must be logged in to see this link.

Spoke Kieran Suckling, BiologicalDiversity,org, a green gang that knows a deal about the special language of the Gulf fields. Keith Olberman welcomed Kieran Suckling as a guest back on May 5. We spoke May 24 re the fact that the Department of the Interior Minerals Management Services, which is the supervisory regulator for the offshore rigs, does no supervision at all, just processes permits, waivers, bypasses and so forth -- as it has done for decades. The assumption is that Big Oil can manage its own risks and technology. Learned that Ken Salazar and POTUS have both been parsing language for weeks now to avoid speaking flatly that six rigs have been given permits for new drilling in deepwater since April 20. No permits for "new" wells is the way the POTUS has been avoiding the fact -- just using existing wells to drill new boreholes. Four of the six are in "ultra deep" water, greater than 9100 feet. All MMS-approved.

Deepwater Horizon.

Also learn that MMS granted a bypass waiver for a new borehole at Deepwater Horizon on April 15, just five days before the explosion and fire. Kieran Suckling tells me that the gusher at 5,000 feet is a product of only five days of drilling. Whatever happened that led to the failure of the BOP was in a small window of April 15-20. Also, what was wrong with the previous borehole that BP had to apply for a new start? MMS approved it the same day of the application for the waiver. No inspection, no questions. SOP. I do not have a firm timeline, but I have enough to suppose that the investigation will reveal alarming details about safety, decisions, arrogance and BP policy on the drilling floor. And what is the SOP at the ultra-deep boreholes? And who is watching over the drillers now? And if the robots are at their extreme limits at 5,000 feet, how are they at 9,100 feet? And what about the BOP at the ultra-deep sites? Who inspects a piece of technology that is little changed for 90 years? The BOP are manually operated, by robots. Do the ultra-deep BOPs have remote triggers -- as the Deepwater Horizon BOP did not? I am just learning. The MMS has a lot of 'splainin' to do. So do POTUS and the Department of the Interior -- even for the poor and less-than-transparent education of the public since April 22. These look to have been man-made errors of the third kind: answering the wrong questions precisely. Unless the Obama administration has been practicing errors of the fourth kind -- answering the wrong questions precisely while knowing full well and cunningly that they are the wrong questions to answer.

img]

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/

Edited by - cptindy on 05/30/2010 12:40:23
Go to Top of Page

L1011
Penny Collector Member

310 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:43:27  Show Profile Send L1011 a Private Message
I'd like to know specifically HOW it happened
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  21:20:41  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

Drilling fluids engineer, is that like a mud-man?

Hah, yeah you caught me. A Drilling Fluids Engineer sounds so much better than a Mud Man though but yeah, Mud man is one of many terms used to describe us.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  21:29:23  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
I gotta be honest...

"one of Kurr's conspiracy type comments almost got to me, although its what can be expected from him" kind of makes me bristle a little.

I find no humor in the situation, though I am glad I can still give a smile. I have a lot of kin living in Florida right now.

I would appreciate any truthfull info you can give though. If I recieve false info, I can only come to false conclusions.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  22:04:28  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Here is the first bit of Info I recieved from a co-worker of mine explaining a bit of how he understood that this incident occured. I have since though heard of a bit more detailed explaination of exactly of what specific operations was being down at the time of the Blowout. Here's what he shared and I have some decent pics of the rig while it was going down as well if someone want to see the pdf file.

"You may have heard the news in the last two days about the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig which caught fire, burned for two days, then
sank in 5,000 ft of water in the Gulf of Mexico. There are still 11 men missing, and they are not expected to be found.
The rig belongs to Transocean, the world’s biggest offshore drilling contractor. The rig was originally contracted through the year 2013 to
BP and was working on BP’s Macondo exploration well when the fire broke out. The rig costs about $500,000 per day to contract. The full
drilling spread, with helicopters and support vessels and other services, will cost closer to $1,000,000 per day to operate in the course of
drilling for oil and gas. The rig cost about $350,000,000 to build in 2001 and would cost at least double that to replace today.
The rig represents the cutting edge of drilling technology. It is a floating rig, capable of working in up to 10,000 ft water depth. The rig is not moored; It does not use anchors because it would be too costly and too heavy to suspend this mooring load from the floating
structure. Rather, a triply-redundant computer system uses satellite positioning to control powerful thrusters that keep the rig on station
within a few feet of its intended location, at all times. This is called Dynamic Positioning.
The rig had apparently just finished cementing steel casing in place at depths exceeding 18,000 ft. The next operation was to suspend the
well so that the rig could move to its next drilling location, the idea being that a rig would return to this well later in order to complete the work necessary to bring the well into production. It is thought that somehow formation fluids – oil /gas – got into the wellbore and were undetected until it was too late to take action. With a floating drilling rig setup, because it moves with the waves, currents, and winds, all of the main pressure control equipment sits on the seabed – the uppermost unmoving point in the well. This pressure control equipment – the Blowout Preventers, or ‘BOP’s” as they’re called, are controlled with redundant systems from the rig. In the event of a serious emergency, there are multiple Panic Buttons to hit, and even fail-safe Deadman systems that should be automatically engaged when something of this proportion breaks out. None of them were aparently activated, suggesting that the blowout was especially swift to escalate at the surface. The flames were visible up to about 35 miles away. Not the glow – the flames. They were 200 – 300 ft high.
All of this will be investigated and it will be some months before all of the particulars are known. For now, it is enough to say that this
marvel of modern technology, which had been operating with an excellent safety record, has burned up and sunk taking souls with it.
The well still is apparently flowing oil, which is appearing at the surface as a slick. They have been working with remotely operated
vehicles, or ROV’s which are essentially tethered miniature submarines with manipulator arms and other equipment that can perform work
underwater while the operator sits on a vessel. These are what were used to explore the Titanic, among other things. Every floating rig
has one on board and they are in constant use. In this case, they are deploying ROV’s from dedicated service vessels. They have been
trying to close the well in using a specialized port on the BOP’s and a pumping arrangement on their ROV’s. They have been unsuccessful
so far. Specialized pollution control vessels have been scrambled to start working the spill, skimming the oil up.
In the coming weeks they will move in at least one other rig to drill a fresh well that will intersect the blowing one at its pay zone. They will use technology that is capable of drilling from a floating rig, over 3 miles deep to an exact specific point in the earth – with a target radius of just a few feet plus or minus. Once they intersect their target, a heavy fluid will be pumped that exceeds the formation’s pressure, thus causing the flow to cease and rendering the well safe at last. It will take at least a couple of months to get this done, bringing all availabletechnology to bear. It will be an ecological disaster if the well flows all of the while; Optimistically, it could bridge off downhole. It’s a sad day when something like this happens to any rig, but even more so when it happens to something on the cutting edge of our capabilities. The photos that follow show the progression of events over the 36 hours from catching fire to sinking."

To add a bit more to what I have heard about exactly how this occured. From what I was told when they were finished drilling and setting the production casing after completion of drilling. The "plan" was laid out to place three cement plugs in the cased wellbore with fluid spacers and then start displacing the heavy "mud" from the wellbore. Well appearently BP decided only 2 cement plugs were needed and after the cement was pumped, set, and cured for approx 20 hrs they began to displace the wellbore with saltwater. Pow Bang Bam!! With the heavy weight drilling fluid no longer in the "fully in the wellbore" there was no longer enough pressure to hold back the extreme formation pressures the appearently blew strait through the two cement plugs. Then the B.O.P. stack failed to a certain extent with the shear rams not fully closing for some odd reason or another (these are supposed to shear through anything sticking through the opening at the sea bed and completely seal the hole). This would have been the last fail safe valve to keep the gas/oil from erupting out of the Wellbore. They initially tried for days to fire off the Shear Ram manually to seal off the wellbore but that didn't work Plan C down the drain.
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  22:24:27  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Ahhh here we go, 100% verified info from an official Hilliburton press statement on what happened.

"Approximately 20 hours prior to the catastrophic loss of well control, Halliburton had completed the
cementing of the ninth and final production casing string in accordance with the well program.
Following the placement of 51 barrels of cement slurry, the casing seal assembly was set in the casing
hanger. In accordance with accepted industry practice, as required by MMS and as directed by the well
owner, a positive pressure test was then conducted to demonstrate the integrity of the production casing
string. The results of the positive test were reviewed by the well owner and the decision was made to
proceed with the well program.
The next step included the performance of a gnegativeh pressure test, which tests the integrity of the casing
seal assembly and is conducted by the drilling contractor at the direction of the well owner and in
accordance with MMS requirements. We understand that Halliburton was instructed to record drill pipe
pressure during this test until Halliburtonfs cementing personnel were advised by the drilling contractor
that the negative pressure test had been completed, and were placed on standby.
We understand that the drilling contractor then proceeded to displace the riser with seawater prior to the
planned placement of the final cement plug, which would have been installed inside the production string
and enabled the planned temporary abandonment of the well. Prior to the point in the well construction
plan that the Halliburton personnel would have set the final cement plug, the catastrophic incident
occurred. As a result, the final cement plug was never set.
Halliburton is confident that the cementing work on the Mississippi Canyon 252 well was completed in
accordance with the requirements of the well ownerfs well construction plan."

So another words the company Rep for BP decided to displace the drilling fluid in the riser before the final cement plug was actually set and bam blowout! Heres is also a statment that may explain what it is BP who is solely responsible for the spill.

"a service provider to
the well owner, is contractually bound to comply with the well ownerfs instructions on all matters relating
to the performance of all work]related activities. It is also important to understand the roles and
responsibilities of the various parties involved in the construction of a well. The construction of a deep
water well is a complex operation involving the performance of numerous tasks by multiple parties led by
the well ownerfs representative, who has the ultimate authority for decisions on how and when various
activities are conducted."

All decisions are made by the Company Rep on site, the contractors just give recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  22:50:21  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Just to throw this out there about ideas from others that Halliburton or any other large company may have caused this on purpose or by coincidence was in position to benefit from a disaster such as this and in turn arousing suspicion of wrongdoings.

Some call Halliburton the walmart of oilfield services. That's what they do is provide oilfield services. Odd that when something happens in the oilfield a certain company has additional psl's (product service lines) that also cover that. I imagine it would be the same to assume or find it a coincidence that walmart sells razor blade/knives and also sales band-aids. They must be up to something eh? I'm just kidding on that last part but yeah a successful company like "walmart" tries to offer a complete package of services so their clients/customers do not have to go any further and in turn they can offer discounts over all of their products that saves the consumer money. This was an accident that may or may not have been avoided but simply an accident. Yes there will be those who benefit from it, but believe me BP nor Halliburton would have ever done something to this extent to gain financially. This just may be the end of BP?? Billions, trillions? of dollars of damage done and not to mention the 11 lives taken aboard the deepwater horizon, may God bless their souls!

Scotty
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  22:59:38  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
We can agree on that. We should all say a prayer, if that is your way, for their families.

No amount of "money" is worth a life.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  22:09:58  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
The federal government's latest response to help solve this problem.

Send naval deep water experts..No

reduce regulation so LA can set up barriers..NO

They are... drum roll.......

SENDING IN LAWYERS FROM THE DOJ TO GATHER EVIDENCE..

Now there's a real motivator to all private entities involved.

Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  02:28:02  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Well good news- After much nail biting and speculation BP signed a major contract with my company yesterday.

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  08:24:56  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message

By BILL KACZOR, Associated Press Writer Bill Kaczor, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 5 mins ago

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. – In sensitive marshes on the Louisiana coast, oil thick as pancake batter suffocates grasses and traps pelicans. Blobs of tar the size of dimes or dinner plates dot the white sands of Alabama and the Florida Panhandle. Little seems amiss in Mississippi except a shortage of tourists, but an oily sheen glides atop the sea west of Tampa.

The oil spill plaguing the states along the Gulf of Mexico isn't one slick — it's many.

"We're no longer dealing with a large, monolithic spill," Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said Monday at a White House news conference. "We're dealing with an aggregation of hundreds of thousands of patches of oil that are going a lot of different directions."

Officials reported that a containment cap over the BP gusher at the bottom of the Gulf was sucking up one-third to three-quarters of the oil — but also noted that its effects could linger for years.

And as the oil patches flirt with the coastline, slathering some spots and leaving others alone, residents who depend on tourism and fishing are wondering in the here and now how to head off the damage or salvage a season that's nearing its peak.

At the Salty Dog Surf Shop in Panama City Beach, near the eastern end of the spill area, manager Glen Thaxton hawked T-shirts, flip-flops and sunglasses with usual briskness Monday, even as officials there warned oil could appear on the sand within 72 hours.

"It could come to a screeching halt real quick," Thaxton said. "So we've been calling vendors and telling them don't ship anything else until further notice."

In Mississippi, Gov. Haley Barbour over the weekend angrily blasted news coverage that he said was scaring away tourists at the start of the busy summer season by making it seem as if "the whole coast from Florida to Texas is ankle-deep in oil."

Mississippi, he insisted on "Fox News Sunday," was clean.

That sounded about right to Darlene Kimball, who runs Kimball Seafood on the docks at Pass Christian.

"Mississippi waters are open, and we're catching shrimp," Kimball said. Still, her business is hurting because of a perception that Gulf seafood isn't safe, she said, and because many shrimpers have signed up to help corral the spill elsewhere.

The random, scattered nature of the oil was evident Monday during a trip across the state line between Alabama and Florida.

On the Alabama side, clumps of seaweed laden with oil littered beaches for miles. Huge orange globs stained the sand in places.

But at Perdido Key, on the Florida side, the sand was white and virtually crude-free. Members of a five-person crew had to look for small dots of oil to pick up, stooping over every few yards for another piece.

"It's beautiful here today," said Josiah Holmes, of Gulf Shores, Ala. He and his wife, Lydia, had driven across the state line because the beach was such a mess at home.

For some who are planning vacations in the region but live elsewhere, the spill's fickle nature is causing confusion.

Adam Warriner, a customer service agent with California-based CSA Travel protection, said the company is getting a lot of calls from vacationers worried the oil will disrupt their trips — even if they're headed to South Carolina, nowhere near the spill area.

"As of now we haven't included oil into any of our coverage language, and that's not something that I've heard is happening," he said.

That kind of misperception worries residents and officials in areas that aren't being hit hard by the oil — and even those in some that are.

"The daily images of the oil is obviously having an impact," said Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, the state closest to the leak and the one where the oil is having its most insidious effects on wildlife. "It's having a heavy, real, very negative impact on our economy."

Some of the most enduring images are of pelicans and other wildlife drenched in oil.

In a sweltering metal building in Fort Jackson, workers in biohazard suits were doing the time-consuming task of cleaning oiled brown pelicans and releasing them back into the wild. After getting 192 in the last six weeks, 86 were delivered on Sunday, the biggest rescue since the BP rig exploded on April 20, spewing oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

"We did have someone faint today because of the heat," said Jay Holcomb, executive director of the International Bird Rescue Research Center.

A table is lined with tubs, bottles and even a microwave. In the tub an enormous pelican, turned almost black by the oil, sits stoically as workers pour a light vegetable oil over it. A process they humorously refer to as marinating, which has to be done before the birds can be washed.

"They respond really well to the cleaning," said Heather Nevill, the veterinarian overseeing the process. "If we get them in time."

At Barataria Bay, La., just west of the mouth of the Mississippi River, large patches of thick oil floated in the still waters Monday. A dead sea turtle caked in brownish-red oil lay splayed out with dragonflies buzzing by.

The Barataria estuary, which has become one of the hardest-hit areas, was busy with shrimp boats skimming up oil and officials in boats and helicopters patrolling the islands and bays to assess the state of wildlife and the movement of oil.

On remote islands, oil visibly tainted pelicans, gulls, terns and herons.

President Barack Obama sought to reassure Americans by saying that "we will get through this crisis" but that it would take dedication.

Later, he said he's been talking closely with Gulf Coast fishermen and various experts on BP's catastrophic oil spill and not for lofty academic reasons.

"I talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answers — so I know whose ass to kick," the president said.

The salty words, part of Obama's recent efforts to telegraph to Americans his engagement with the crisis, came in an interview in Michigan with NBC's "Today" show.

"This will be contained," Obama said earlier. "It may take some time, and it's going to take a whole lot of effort. There is going to be damage done to the Gulf Coast, and there is going to be economic damages that we've got to make sure BP is responsible for and compensates people for."

Obama's prediction of further damage only exacerbated a sense of dread filling residents in places the oil had yet to foul, like Panama City Beach.

"It just makes me sick to my stomach to think about one morning I could wake up and our beaches would be ruined," said Joseph Carrington, a 39-year-old worker at a scooter rental service who moved five years ago from Chester, N.Y., out of love for the beach.

"I have nightmares thinking about it on what it would do to us, my job, all of our jobs."

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

H.L. Mencken

Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  20:15:28  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Just curious if anyone would be aware of a comment I just read on a news article.

Is it true that BP would loose their lease once the well is capped without securing another well?

If they can cut this thing why can they not cap it? Pressure I suppose? How much?

This whole situation reeks!

H.L. Mencken

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  20:25:17  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL): Andrea we’re looking into something new right now, that there’s reports of oil that’s seeping up from the seabed… which would indicate, if that’s true, that the well casing itself is actually pierced… underneath the seabed. So, you know, the problems could be just enormous with what we’re facing.

Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  12:05:43  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cptindy

Most interesting talk here lately.

One wonders as to what is foreign oil?

Oil from foreign countries. Mexico is a foreign country. Canada is a foreign country. Oil from US territory is not from a foreign country.

I am not an engineer and do not proclaim to have an answer.

I do find it odd that incidents such as this seem to end in favor of a chosen few. Providing cause for intervention and control by the same individuals that had their hands involved with the inception.

Chosen by whom...Providence?

How is it odd that an equipment supplier providing stupendously expensive technology handles the equipment for all aspects of drilling? Such is the nature of technology. All railroad locomotives in N America are made by 2 manufacturers. Aviation is centered in the hands of a few airframe manufacturers and fewer engine manufacturers. Airbus sells an airplane. It is destroyed in a crash, so they build and make a profit on the replacement. I smell a conspiracy.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  18:05:18  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

The federal government's latest response to help solve this problem.

Send naval deep water experts..No

reduce regulation so LA can set up barriers..NO

They are... drum roll.......

SENDING IN LAWYERS FROM THE DOJ TO GATHER EVIDENCE..

Now there's a real motivator to all private entities involved.

Does legal evidence and/or passing laws and regulations help cap a well? I didn't think so either.

Why not wait until the thing is capped before they send in the high-priced empty suits?

Why not plug the hole with lawyers??

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  18:28:35  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

Why not plug the hole with lawyers??

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet!!

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  22:54:09  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

On a lighter side...

A man was driving down the road and ran out of gas. Just at that moment, a bee flew in his window.

The bee said, 'What seems to be the problem?'

'I'm out of gas,' the man replied.

The bee told the man to wait right there and flew away.
Minutes later, the man watched as an entire swarm of bees flew to his car and into his gas tank. After a few minutes, the bees flew out.

'Try it now,' said one bee.

The man turned the ignition key and the car started right up. 'Wow!' the man exclaimed, 'what did you put in my gas tank'?

And the bee said...

>

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  01:32:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
So, if BP declares bankruptcy next week.. what happens?

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  11:03:07  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
The administration adds an Oil company to its collection of Car companies.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2