Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Unsearched Wheats- myth or reality?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Market Harmony
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  10:42:42  Show Profile Send Market Harmony a Private Message
Many of us have dreamed of them... roll upon roll of wheat cents that have not been picked over for the key dates and the wheats in BU red or r/b condition. How great it would be to be the first to search these! For those of us who have wanted this, we've looked on eBay and seen the wild claims from sellers that previous customers have found a 1914-D or the king 1909-S VDB. We look at their feedback and see that they sell roll after roll of these for $8 to $14 a roll and say to ourselves, "maybe it's worth it" And why shouldn't we? Someone has to win the lottery, right?

However, the odds of us actually being included in the jackpot are really slim to none. How can these rolls seriously survive this long without some discerning collectors looking over them for the valuable coins? How can the seller have so many rolls with a VDB on one end and an Indian on the other pass on the opportunity to crack open that roll and get to the goodies inside. Why don't they just keep them for themselves? Well, it's because they already know that the roll has either common date coins, or the coins they do have are not really that great anyway. That is, the 31-S showing on the end roll has damage on the reverse, or has been cleaned, or something to that effect. They are not selling a roll of great coins, they are selling the chance that the roll has great coins. That's what people are paying for. These rolls are previously searched, so the buyer is typically disappointed. So, are there really "unsearched" wheats out there? The answer is, YES!!!! And, I happen to have been lucky enough to acquire, and recently search through, a $50 bag of them. WOOT!!!!!

Here's a breakdown of some of the finds:

a raiding party of 9 Indians in well circulated condition
(1) 1909-S in F15 condition!!!!!
(2) 1909 (one was XF40)
(2) 1909 VDB
(1) 1911-D
(1) 1912-D
(1) 1912-S
(1) 1913-D
(1) 1913-S
(2) 1914-S
(1) 1915-S
(1) 1916-S
(1) 1958-D clipped edge

I also got a HUGE amount of 'S' mints, BU red and R/B cents, and have replaced about 15 coins in my album. The total mix of coin was probably 95% of the complete series of wheats. And, on top of all this, I also got this awesome Spock coin. (see picture below)

These unsearched wheats came from our very own HCBTT. How he does the separation from the sorting is unknown to me, but just look at that list up there... the 1909-S alone is worth over $110. These wheats were truly unsearched in my opinion. It took about a week to sort and separate the coins, and was some good fun. When I found a rare/valuable coin, I was always shocked. I didn't think that these opportunities really existed.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience winning the wheat lottery. I hope everyone has fun with their searches.

A Vulcan Blood Token- "The Blood of Surak"

goto the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

Edited by - Market Harmony on 04/23/2010 10:46:02

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:13:48  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
A few times I have played the "unsearched" coin game. However, I never buy them from sellers who have lots of previous coin sales or unsearched lots up. I only buy ones from people whose previous ebay experience is selling random odds and ends, who I can fairly well guess is NOT knowledgable of coins, usually coins from a large estate, grandpa, whatever. The few I have bought were pretty good. Found 09 VDB, several 09, 12S, lots of decent teens and twenties. I think if you wait for the right lot on wheats you can do ok, at least better than junk 30-s to 50s.

Gratz on your finds by the way! I am always tempted to buy more wheats, but I have so darn many already they are coming out my ears.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  12:54:36  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
a great score
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  13:50:35  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
I don't think there is such a thing as unsearched wheats. Just the fact that they are pulled from circulation means they have been searched. It is just human nature to look at them when you find them. And if you really did have bag that you thought was truly unsearched you are not going to sell it without looking through it first. I think you got lucky due to the fact that you got the bag from one of our members here. But as far as getting unsearched bags off feebay they don't exist. I have learned the hard way and purchased a few bags. I always get a kick out of the stories they come up with to make you think they are unsearched. But yet if you check their other items for sale or their feedback they have all kinds of sales for individual key date coins. I think you stand a better chance of finding a key date coin when you are searching for copper. But I am happy for you MH you did find some nice coins there.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

chris6084
Penny Collector Member

303 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  18:51:03  Show Profile Send chris6084 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NDFARMER

I don't think there is such a thing as unsearched wheats. Just the fact that they are pulled from circulation means they have been searched. It is just human nature to look at them when you find them. And if you really did have bag that you thought was truly unsearched you are not going to sell it without looking through it first. I think you got lucky due to the fact that you got the bag from one of our members here. But as far as getting unsearched bags off feebay they don't exist. I have learned the hard way and purchased a few bags. I always get a kick out of the stories they come up with to make you think they are unsearched. But yet if you check their other items for sale or their feedback they have all kinds of sales for individual key date coins. I think you stand a better chance of finding a key date coin when you are searching for copper. But I am happy for you MH you did find some nice coins there.

EXACTLY. There are many out there that have key date pennies side by side with their unsearched lots. Do you really beleivve they did not search the wheats? Or that they 'added' 5 1909 S VDB's to the lot? yeah right. I have also seen several sellers that as soon as all the 'unsearched wheats' sell out, have key dates for sale for the next 6 months.
Go to Top of Page

johnsonjohn2441
Penny Pincher Member

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  19:25:17  Show Profile Send johnsonjohn2441 a Private Message
very good information. thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  19:32:21  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I like how the unsearched rolls always have a IHP or key date on the end.

I once bought 5 rolls of cents with an IHP showing. Thats exactly what I got, 5 rolls with 1 IHP in each roll, showing on the end. SUCKER!

I still gave positive feedback because the product was exactly as advertised

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  23:23:04  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NDFARMER

When you do mass mining for copper you dont have time to sit there and look at the dates of the wheats. Unsearched bags are RARE but they are exsitant.....just not on ebay

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  23:35:44  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Sounds like Chuck accidentally sold you the bag he meant to keep

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  08:28:46  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Good job on thdeebag and good to hear. Seems like Hoardy has soldafew great bags on th here in the past.If you can truly find 'unsearched' wheat bags you can make adecent buck at doing it. I actually got waht I think was an Unsearched bag before and got a few vdb's and a 24-d. Best $200 I spent in a while

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  11:05:27  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Good job on thdeebag and good to hear. Seems like Hoardy has soldafew great bags on th here in the past.If you can truly find 'unsearched' wheat bags you can make adecent buck at doing it. I actually got waht I think was an Unsearched bag before and got a few vdb's and a 24-d. Best $200 I spent in a while

Hey buddy. Nice to see you again. Long time no see.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2