Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 BU rolls situation to ponder
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  11:56:53  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Yesterday, I went to Taco Bell for dinner. Spare no expense, right? Anyway, the total came to an amount which caused them to include four cents in my change. I noticed they were all four 2010 shield cents. There was no line, and only a couple other people in the whole lobby, so they weren't busy. So I asked if I could buy a roll of them, and they obliged. I got a clear plastic roll, showing a nice shiny roll of coins.

Except...

There were two dark brown coins included inside the roll.

This makes me question a few things about which I had previously been certain. I wonder... what else is inside all the rolls I have bought individually from places like this? Or in the supposedly BU rolls I buy from the bank?

And it also makes me wonder... what exactly ARE those two coins?

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:03:40  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
This is something you will see from time to time. Unless the roll is a "US mint product" it may have a mix even if it appears to be a "solid date roll".

Still if both ends are shiny and same day about 95% of the time (from my experience) the whole roll is "solid bu same year".
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  13:04:30  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
Sounds like the infamous “dirty roll" bandit has stuck again. I have heard about these before. Mostly BU shields (or anything new) with a mix of regular circulated cents thrown in.

Still cool! I say crack it open and satisfy my your curiosity. You only live once. Just reroll the BUs in a plastic roll.

Rodebaugh

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  13:11:09  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
I would probably give the individual shield cents away. I gave 3 away last night to different people. Reactions ranged from "cool" to "HEY! COOOOL!"

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  13:38:39  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
To satisfy your curiosity: the two culprits were 1990 and 2003D zincolns. Otherwise a nice BU roll. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  14:50:54  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Are they minting very many 2010 cents? I have only found one in circulation so far.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

bywayman

16 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  16:09:41  Show Profile Send bywayman a Private Message
I was told the mint mixes in a few older coins to keep people from hoarding the new coins as B U rolls.
steve
Go to Top of Page

Deathsled11
Penny Sorter Member

55 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  16:31:43  Show Profile Send Deathsled11 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bywayman

I was told the mint mixes in a few older coins to keep people from hoarding the new coins as B U rolls.
steve

LOL. any documentation to back that up?
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  16:41:02  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
I wouldn't think they would do that. I have been wrong before. I've been wrong this afternoon, in fact.

Go to Top of Page

twocents
Penny Collector Member

398 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  18:49:15  Show Profile Send twocents a Private Message
I don't think they would waste their time mixing in a couple of older cents to prevent the hoarding. If they are, it certainly is not working. Uthminsta bought a roll at TACO BELL!

Just my two cents!
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  01:25:21  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The mint doesn't keep a bunch of old cents around to mix in with the new ones to mess up the rolls. Some coin processors toss in a handful or 2 to do this, and someimes old ones are just in the hopper at the same time. The process of tossing old ones into the mix to discourage hoarding of BU rolls goes way back. I remember it happening in the early 70's.

It doesn't keep some of us from "hoarding" BU rolls though. Some of us just sort them out and reroll the BU ones in nice fresh rolls.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2