Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Weirdest Box of Pennies Yet
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  15:56:18  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
So today I got two boxes of pennies to sort through. First was your run of the mill box, although I did score my 2nd Indian Head of the year out of it. But the second box was a weirdo.

I open it to find that it is mostly new pennies, 9 rows of nearly uncirculated 2009s. However, the last row of pennies, 5 rolls, are in ugly, faded apparently hand wrapped rolls. Here is a pic of what it looked like.

I proceed to open the old looking rolls. They all are disfigured coins. Bent ones, chipped ones, smashed ones, a few that look like they made a trip through the wood chipper in fargo, some that lost battles with evil belt sanders, etc. I am not sure if they were coins wrapped by the NF strings guys that the machine could not wrap or what, but it is certainly one weird box. I am disappointed though, I really wanted to sort more.

I do have one question also, is their any premium value on the rolls of seemingly brand new pennies I got? Or do they just go straight back to the bank as is?

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  16:03:44  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
So the box had a "factory" seal on it or whatever and had those rolls in it? Looks like someone opened it, removed five rolls and replaced them with crap coins.

Maybe keep some of the rolls for your collection if you don't have any and return the rest. Or, if you have a buyer for them, sell them of course.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  16:05:13  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I would think some dealer on ebay would want those new rolls, try $2 opening bid, dutch auction. Too bad about those handwraps

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  16:13:46  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Yes the box was still completely sealed shut. Given the unusually horrible condition of the coins in the hand wrapped rolls, my best guess was the automatic coin wrapping machines could not handle them and hence they were wrapped in a different way. I really have no clue.

I may try that dutch auction idea. Thanks beau.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  17:07:44  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JWRAY

Yes the box was still completely sealed shut. Given the unusually horrible condition of the coins in the hand wrapped rolls, my best guess was the automatic coin wrapping machines could not handle them and hence they were wrapped in a different way. I really have no clue.

I may try that dutch auction idea. Thanks beau.

Typically anything that won't go into the automatic wrappers just gets turned into the mint as mutilated coin.

My guess is that strings wrapped a box of ALL 2009 pennies. A bank recieved the box, opened it, took 5 rolls out, and than ended up putting 5 handwrapped "Crappy coin" rolls and than sealed it up to give to you.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  18:53:20  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
How would they reseal them though? They are thin perforated cardboard, a large single piece with only the bottom being glued. I am fairly sure it was completely intact from the bank. The top certainly was never opened, it was still intact. The only way it could have been previously opened is if the bottom was opened and reglued.

Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  20:46:37  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
That is weird!

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  21:05:32  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
I roll and rebox my Cu for storage. I open the boxes from the bottom and glue them back shut once full of copper. If not for the peep holes showing the wrong kind of wrappers you wouldn't be able to tell the box was ever opened. Peel back the flap when opening being careful not to tear it. When new old pennies are inserted apply glue to flap, fold flaps down, turn right side up, square up sides, and allow to dry. Professional results every time:) More than likely someone replaced that one row at some point and sealed it back up.

Rule six: There is no rule six.
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  23:20:52  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Well I do believe it is possible to do, but I dont think the bank would do it. What gets me is this: if a collector got the box, he wouldn't pull out just the 5 rolls and replace em with crappers, he would keep em all. Why would only 5 rolls be missing?

I need the scooby doo mystery van to roll up and solve this one.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  23:26:27  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
Are the five rolls haunted also:p Yeah it doesn't make much sense.

Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  23:46:16  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by highroller4321
Typically anything that won't go into the automatic wrappers just gets turned into the mint as mutilated coin.

Maybe some vault guy put the mutilated coins in the box and accidentally sent 5 rolls of new coin back to the mint as damaged?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  01:00:33  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I think it happened at the coin processing center. Nobody wants to get stuck with a bad penny! They handrolled 5 rolls of garbage that wouldn't go through the rolling machines, stuck it in a box and sealed it. Much less work and expense than trying to return them to the mint for destruction. There are all sorts of restrictions on returning bad coins to the mint for destruction. Plus, you have to pay the shipping. There are minimums, etc. Do any of you know of any institution that has succesfully returned bad coins to the mint for destruction? Who is going to go to all that trouble and expense when they can just slip them on to the next guy?

I think the shiny ones have some value. I would trade you solid copper rolls for them.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  01:14:57  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
True every bank I go to says they just trash them.

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  06:50:51  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I have been accumulating quite a few junk cents that won't go throught the counter at the bank. Generally, they will take them off of my hands and give me new ones for them. I just have been too lazy to ask lately.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  07:44:49  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
That's awesome! What a find.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:44:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Just swap them out in the take a penny tray.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2