Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Hard Drives
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bootstrap
Penny Collector Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:55:44  Show Profile Send Bootstrap a Private Message
I have come into posession of quite a few hard drives.

I was wondering if there is anything inside the hard drives worth scrapping or are they pretty much worthless.

Thanks

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:59:17  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I don't know about scrap, but they have rare earth magnets in them. I would be willing to buy a magnet if you want to sell one. There might be some gold in them too.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  13:13:07  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Platinum on the disks, aluminum cases.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  13:24:55  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Cast aluminum frames (or machined aluminum if they're older), some machined aluminum components inside, really handy magnets, and the platters and circuit boards can be sold on eBay for PM recovery. There are steel bearings embedded in some of the parts inside, so pull them out to get clean aluminum prices at the scrap yard. You will most likely need two small Torx bits to disassemble.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  13:26:27  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Or throw them in a flat rate box and send them to me, and I'll trade you some shiny copper

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

silversaddle1
Penny Pincher Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  17:40:58  Show Profile Send silversaddle1 a Private Message
Whole hard drives are selling for between .65-80 cents per pound around here. You must leave the PCB on the drive to get that price. We sell the drives whole, but we crush them first to protect any data that still may be on the disk.

Yes you can strip them but I would call around first and get some scrap prices before going thru all the work.

Should you decide to strip them, go to any Do It Best hardware store and buy a micro torx screwdriver set. They are around 10 bucks for the set and will have every driver you need to strip the drives.

If you have any questions, ask me as I have scrapped 1000's of drives by hand in the past.

One other thing. Be careful if you do take apart as some of the drives hitting the scrap market now have glass platters in them and they shatter into millions of little pieces. That sucks!

Edited by - silversaddle1 on 03/13/2010 17:42:26
Go to Top of Page

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  22:14:43  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
You can also get a 50 security bit set at harbor freight tools for about 8 dollars. There is one bit that is missing though to take out the harddrive. You may want to get a platinum test kit to test the hardrive platter.

scrappin" all over
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:02:01  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I picked up a bunch of these in the trash too. What is the least time consuming way of recycling these :-)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:03:24  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Actually I am wrong; I met to say I found a bunch of disk drives in the trash. You know where you would insert the floppy disk but they are not a part of the tower. Are these worth anything for scrap?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

scrapman1077
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  15:24:53  Show Profile Send scrapman1077 a Private Message
Send me at least 40 lbs of hard drives and I will send you a shiny new 1 oz silver round! PM if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

silversaddle1
Penny Pincher Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:01:32  Show Profile Send silversaddle1 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scrapman1077

Send me at least 40 lbs of hard drives and I will send you a shiny new 1 oz silver round! PM if your interested.

Yea, and what does that work out to per pound?
Go to Top of Page

scrapman1077
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:42:48  Show Profile Send scrapman1077 a Private Message
.50 cent, the scrap value of the al.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2