Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  21:15:02  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
In the base barracks dumpster today I found a stereo receiver, a window fan, a Lasko room fan, and a couple video game controllers. I'm going to take the transformer out of the stereo, and then button it back up and recycle it as is. I'll get .08/lb for the stereo, I figure I might as well get paid for the whole thing, plastic and all, instead of getting the smaller stuff out. Other than xfmr that is. If the fans work, I'll keep them. If not, I'll have a couple motors to add to the pile.

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  08:06:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I took out the xfmr, I'm guessing it weighs around 5lbs. The rest of the stereo weighs 4 or 5 lbs, so I'm looking at around 2.50 to 3 bucks for a receiver left in the dumpster. Not bad I guess for a couple minutes of work.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  17:23:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Turned in my scrap today.

#1 Cu 3# @ $2.40 $7.20 (3/4" pipe)
UBC 23# @.70 $16.10 (Collected from home and road)
Pt Alum 20# @.60 $12.00 (window screen frames and misc Alum)
Stainess 3# @.60 $1.80 (1" X 3' pipe")
Motor 21# @.17 $3.57 (pool pump motor)

I hope that each month it continues to get better.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  20:04:24  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
1200 pounds of electric motors at .18 per pound for a total of 216.00

only took half an hour to load but have to split with buddy. should have another 1500-2000 pounds of motors in on thursday
Go to Top of Page

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  10:04:27  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
Went to the 4 day Woodstock of Scrap also known as yearly bulk item day in a well to do town 3-8 miles from the scrap yard. Thats right load it up - high density piles of metal, minimal processing, steel and aluminum with a short hop to the scrap yard. People start putting their bulk items out on Friday night. We load the truck up to the gills w/ washers, dryers, hot water heaters, stoves, metal weights sets, pipes. As we drive around, we don't even close the doors all the way as we want to be quiet at night, we stop so frequently and a street can fill a truck. We have magnets fastened to the outside of the truck.

On Saturday scrap yard open 7 AM to 1 PM. We get 3 runs done. A circus of overloaded trucks, vans, and cars. We get behind 2 women who somehow have strapped 3 hot water heaters to their beater car.

We bring high quality stuff home late Saturday and Sunday. Lots of aluminum needing steel screw removal. Couple of hundred pounds worth of aluminum!

On Monday hit the neighborhoods closest to the scrap yard as home owners put stuff out the last minute. Three more loads to the scrapper. We see things we want but we are already full. Come back later and the stuff is gone. Oh well just go down another street. We have learned to snap the top off the aluminum grills as too much time to disassemble the bottom section.

When it was over all we had was a pile of aluminum, a modest pile of cash, and some great memories.

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  22:34:33  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by clwp

1200 pounds of electric motors at .18 per pound for a total of 216.00

only took half an hour to load but have to split with buddy. should have another 1500-2000 pounds of motors in on thursday

Where in the hell did you get all those motors?? Good job by the way.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  23:37:12  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I was telling one of the kids I know that scraps to wait for the big days and just take off work and load like no tom.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  18:15:15  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I took in some steel today. I had 600 lbs. and found it was getting 0.095 a lb!!! $57.00 to load the truck then toss it off. On the way back to work (I usually go to the yard at lunch time) I found a fridge. I went home and ransacked my yard and probably have another 300 lbs. for tomorrow!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  15:14:48  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I took apart 4 CRT monitors today. I probably could have got more for them intact, but I really wanted to take them apart---so I did. Much more copper inside than I expected!

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  16:04:04  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Wow, steel is up to .10 per lb.!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  19:57:13  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
#1 Cu 8lbs. @ $2.60 $20.80
#2 Cu 20lbs. @ $2.40 $48.00
#2 Ins Cu 50% 16lbs. @ $1.20 $19.20
Lead - soft 8lbs. @ $0.30 $2.40
Au Radiator/clean 40lbs @ $0.55 $22.00
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 124lbs. @ $1.35 $167.40
Misc. scrap 24lbs. @ $0.07 $1.68
Total $281.48

Lower totals because of small amount of #1 copper. Next time will be better.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  00:47:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Not a bad haul. I haven't taken anything in for awhile. I'm saving up for a big score. Right now I have about 5 lbs of #1CU, maybe 7 or 8 pounds of #2, around 25-30 lbs of stainless (found a stainless steel serving cart in the base galley dumpster), about 10 lbs of transformers, some other stuff. Not enough to make the trip yet.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  06:15:50  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
My main problem is space. I clean up everything and keep then in my work truck, (24' box truck), and take it in when I run out of space. The ACR's take up a lot of space.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  22:55:55  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
My neighbor gave me an old Coke canister from her resteraunt. It is about 8" around and 2' tall. Not very heavy, but it does have some stainless in it.

Oh, the best part is it came with a hive of bees in it. I put a fee bag over them, teped it on and drove home with them. All I need to do now is get the bees out and into one of my empty hives and I made $100 on the bees.
Go to Top of Page

silverhalide
Penny Sorter Member

92 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  10:37:23  Show Profile Send silverhalide a Private Message
I took my worn out water heater (much of the weight was likely calcified corrosion) and a bunch of steel fan parts which weighed 190 lbs they classified it as mixed scrap I got 17 cents/lb for it. Lets say I was very surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  21:26:35  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Picked up 3 solid copper mugs(161 grams each) for 75 cents, a solid yellow brass wall hanging(5 lbs) for a dollar and a dehumidifier for $3. All were found at yard sales today, I hope I did'nt overpay on these items.
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  23:41:42  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
Well heres a list of todays scrap findings:
$1 ice cream 5 gal. pastic pal of brass & steel pipes (as it turns out all the brass pipe was steel but there was a really heavy 5 pound brass valve)
$1 milk crate with another 5 lb. Brass valve and about 5 unopened fluroesnet ballasts
$3 a piece for 6 brass lamps, which I would watch out on because of the low amounts of brass and dark brass-like metal (pot metal?)
.50 brass pair of candle sticks .75 lb.
.50 brass candle holder 1 lb.
.75 brass log fireplace holder 4 lb.
$2 for a copper pan (and copper plate alum. pan which I tho was copper) .5 lb.
.50 copper goblet .5 lb.
FREE brass chandler, I felt this was worth ALOT more than to scrap, but yeild 5 lb. of brass and was very hard to take apart
FREE lamps and hair dryers from free boxes
Misc. free steel items
$1 for two dark brass/pot metal garage outdoor lights, hard to take apart
$1 for a pair of 14k earring (6.9 grams or $98)
$2 .925 Ster. Bracelet and charms ($9)

Passed up on many cheap Alum. pots and pans that could pass as Extru. Alum. but would have been priced as Mixed. Also $5 air conditioner and mini- fridge. Still unsure on these itmes.

How would I approach a non-magnetic yellow brass like item that doesn't have that yellow brass look. Some do look like they have been poured with zinc and were plated. However some don't . The ballasts I were going to cart to local electrical stores to sell, but only got tips to exact the copper as they don't buy off the street.

This is a normal tirp on a Sat. mornings and they were many sales in the higher end part of town.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  21:24:33  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
Well heres what I got for the scrap mentioned above:
Yellow Brass 30 lb. @ 1.50 $45
#2 copper 2 lb. @ 2.80 $5
Mixed Alum 5 lb. @ .45 $2.25
#2 Insulated Copper 2 lb. @ .80 $1

$54 total, which is great in my opinion. This was my first choice and were perfect. As I get my feet wet, I am picking what things to scrap. Brass lamps are risky unless their cheap. Glass items are difficult too. Pipes tend to be the best for the buck.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  22:27:33  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knibloe

My neighbor gave me an old Coke canister from her resteraunt. It is about 8" around and 2' tall. Not very heavy, but it does have some stainless in it.

Oh, the best part is it came with a hive of bees in it. I put a fee bag over them, teped it on and drove home with them. All I need to do now is get the bees out and into one of my empty hives and I made $100 on the bees.

People who brew their own beer will pay $10-20? for those old soda kegs if they're in usable condition.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  12:45:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I found a delta chrome bathroom sink fixture, being thrown out. I seperated the copper lines and brass fittings. My question is do the scrap yards take the fixture as brass. The fixture I believe is brass with chrome plate. Has anyone scraped one or have knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  13:15:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evans

I found a delta chrome bathroom sink fixture, being thrown out. I seperated the copper lines and brass fittings. My question is do the scrap yards take the fixture as brass. The fixture I believe is brass with chrome plate. Has anyone scraped one or have knowledge.

I've scrapped a few of these. I took an angle grinder to see what was under the chrome, and it was brass. I only grinded a little, so it was mostly chrome. I threw it in with my yellow brass, and they paid me full yellow brass price. I'm not sure what they require where you're at, but it's at least worth something.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  23:36:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for the reply. I used my bench grinder as you suggested and it was brass. I will put it with the yellow brass and see what the yard says. Every trip to the yard and tips from the message board, fine tunes my scrapping powers.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  09:02:59  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
speaking of chrome plated, if you ever come across a commercial ice maker the tray that actually makes the cubes is chrome in color but with a grinder you find out it is all copper with a chrome coating. I imagine this is done just for visual appearance. the last one i pulled weighed 17 pounds. they only gave me #2 price because of the chrome but still worth the time. I bought a few non working units a year or so ago for $20 dollars each. They also have copper lines, radiators, and some even have stainless shells.
Go to Top of Page

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  22:28:02  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by USNavySubSailor

quote:
Originally posted by evans

I've scrapped a few of these. I took an angle grinder to see what was under the chrome, and it was brass. I only grinded a little, so it was mostly chrome. I threw it in with my yellow brass, and they paid me full yellow brass price. I'm not sure what they require where you're at, but it's at least worth something.

scrappin" all over
Go to Top of Page

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  22:30:48  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
The place here buys "plumbers brass" recent offers were around 145 a lb. Straight brass was 1.70 a lb. Also, copper was around 2.80. You get more if you take it apart on your workbench in a vice. But it is easier to sell it whole. Take your pic.

scrappin" all over
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2