Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  16:28:57  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
Yesterday I found a roll off container that had some office filling cabinets and metal furniture. Found some auto body frame parts (steel) some wire number 1 and two insulated, and this one piece of stainless steel. It was about 17x 17 inches square , 3/4"thick and weighed 69 pounds. It was hard to lift and got 65 cents a lb for it at the scrap yard. The small stainless piece paid 45 dollars. Another good day junking.

scrappin" all over
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  16:48:49  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:
Another good day junking.

I'd say so! Nice haul.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:50:46  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Scrapped a little today.

#1 Cu 24 lbs. $2.60/lb. $62.40
#2 Cu 16 lbs. $2.40/lb. $38.40
#1 ins. Cu 75% 16 lbs. $1.80/lb. $28.80
ACR's contaminated 56 lbs. $0.40/lb. $22.50
ACR's 72 lbs. $1.20/lb. $86.40

For a total of $238.40

Totals will go up in the summer.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  20:13:23  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
My kid had a bunch of truck parts frames, rear ends, axles. I loaded them on my trailer but they were too heavy the front of the trailer was only an inch off the ground. So I told him he had to cut them down so I could load it into the back on my truck. He did . I took it to the scrap yard and they paid me (short steel) 250.00 per ton. I had 3420 lbs or 430.00 two trips to the scrap yard . Still hoarding Cu as todays spot price is 3.98, local scrap dealer is 3.00/# and alum. is .80/ # . Tonite I found 5 dealers to buy scrap plastic but no prices yet ...Happy hunting ...Rick
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  04:15:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I'm new to this site, love it already.
If I had a truck you wouldn't believe the stuff I could scrap. I've even offered friends of mine who have trucks money to help me recycle! No one will! Too busy playing WOW I guess?

This morning (Saturday morning) I'm taking in

#1CU (Hand stripped, ouch) 61 lbs. guessing 2.80/lb?
17 pounds of aluminun cans, I'm guessing around $0.60/lb?

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  16:11:02  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I had an interesting scrap day today. I took in some cast Aluminum, and some insulated wire. I ended up with about $30.00. Afterwards I deposited some money in the bank from a few trips, and found a washer and an iron tub , so back to the yard I went. I ended up with about $50.00 for almost no actual work other than loading the truck!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:16:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flbandit

I had an interesting scrap day today. I took in some cast Aluminum, and some insulated wire. I ended up with about $30.00. Afterwards I deposited some money in the bank from a few trips, and found a washer and an iron tub , so back to the yard I went. I ended up with about $50.00 for almost no actual work other than loading the truck!

Do you do anything to the washer, or did you turn it in as is? How much did they pay you for it?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  20:36:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
18# no 1 CU @ 3.00/#= 54.00
Dont have the alum cleaned up yet.
Expect 70# alum @ .85/ #
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:10:08  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by USNavySubSailor

I'm new to this site, love it already.
If I had a truck you wouldn't believe the stuff I could scrap. I've even offered friends of mine who have trucks money to help me recycle! No one will! Too busy playing WOW I guess?

This morning (Saturday morning) I'm taking in

#1CU (Hand stripped, ouch) 61 lbs. guessing 2.80/lb?
17 pounds of aluminun cans, I'm guessing around $0.60/lb?

It was actually
63# no 1 CU @ 2.82/#= 177.66
17# AlumCans @ .70/#= 11.90
11# EC Alum Wire @ .78/#= 8.58

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:11:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RAlex

18# no 1 CU @ 3.00/#= 54.00
Dont have the alum cleaned up yet.
Expect 70# alum @ .85/ #

Where do you live? 3 bucks a pound is a little more than what we get here. Normally we're on the high end of the scale.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  19:37:28  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
SubSailer, in this case someone had already took out the wiring and the motor winding was aluminum, so I just took it in as is. Usually when I find a washer I strip out the wiring harness, check the motor for copper winding, and pull the aluminum faceplate. Twice I've found units with SS tubs. In that case I remove it to. Right now we are getting .0825 per lb. of mixed steel. Washers tend to run about 150 lbs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  20:01:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flbandit

SubSailer, in this case someone had already took out the wiring and the motor winding was aluminum, so I just took it in as is. Usually when I find a washer I strip out the wiring harness, check the motor for copper winding, and pull the aluminum faceplate. Twice I've found units with SS tubs. In that case I remove it to. Right now we are getting .0825 per lb. of mixed steel. Washers tend to run about 150 lbs.

You're do it like I probably would. I haven't tackled a washing machine yet. I've done lots of other weird stuff, but no washers/dryers/dishwashers/stoves, etc yet.

I'm kinda confused about the steel prices around here. The place I take my other stuff, they're a reputable place. They only pay 2-3 cents a pound for mixed steel, in small quantities. They actually recommend another place for steel though. The other place is really picky, you have to sort tin, iron, steel, etc. So I'm not sure how I should do this. I guess I'll just take in what I have, get paid, ask questions etc. Unless I had alot of steel, I'd only take it in if I had other items to make the trip worthwhile. I live about 30 miles from the center, so I have to think about gas, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  12:29:57  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Alright, Yellow brass at $1.93 per lb.! I took in 13 lbs. of yellow brass and 27 lbs. of clean aluminum (at $0.71 per lb.) Not a bad haul for a pile of metal small enough to fit in the cab of my truck!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  14:49:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
turned in my old pick up with the back end filled with metal as well. 4660 pounds at 235/ton for a total of $547.55. Once i got it there i had them pick it up with the front end loader so i could take off the aluminum rims as well. At home i took out both radiators, catalact converter, battery, starter, alternator, and battery cables.

Both yards i regularly use are not picky at all and dont watch you unload so i can regularly get away with a little extra plastic as well as pick up stuff other paople throw out.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:40:51  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I don't have my receipt in front of me, so this is from memory.

#1CU 35 lbs @ 2.80/lb = $98.00
Irony cast motor 133lbs @ .24/lb $31.92
cast aluminum 12lbs @ .70/lb $8.40
15 lbs xfmrs @ .40/lb $6.00
41 lbs low electric motors @ .15/lb $6.15
67 lbs of steel/iron @ .015/lb $1.07

What makes me mad about the steel/iron is that everyone says it's 235/ton etc, so why am I only getting .015/lb? Maybe it has to be a higher quantity/quality? Tacoma Metals pays the most around here, and they only make a few cents more than what they buy for, so I have no idea whats going on with their steel prices.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  14:20:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
.15 cents per pound is even better. .15 x 2000 is 300/per ton

i would love those prices. You just dont realize it until you have a few hundred pounds. I rarely make a trip with less than 800 - 1000 pounds of steel.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:17:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by clwp

.15 cents per pound is even better. .15 x 2000 is 300/per ton

i would love those prices. You just dont realize it until you have a few hundred pounds. I rarely make a trip with less than 800 - 1000 pounds of steel.

Clwp, you misread what I wrote. .015, not .15 One and a half cents per pound. If it were 15 cents per pound, I'd be rich! hahahaha.

Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:19:56  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
I bought a 6ft. aluminum ladder today for $5. Does anyone have a guess of what this should weigh? (I have no means of weighing it). And what kind it of Aluminum it is?

And if it has paint on it an d the like if it will harm its value?(it is a ladder afterall)

thanks

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:33:58  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robarons

I bought a 6ft. aluminum ladder today for $5. Does anyone have a guess of what this should weigh? (I have no means of weighing it). And what kind it of Aluminum it is?

And if it has paint on it an d the like if it will harm its value?(it is a ladder afterall)

thanks

Hi,

I'm guessing about 14 lbs. And its probably aluminum extrusions, which the last time I recycled was about 70 cents a pound. The paint may or may not affect the value. If it does, it will only be a small amount. You should call your scrap yard and ask them about the paint. There might be some steel in it also. Maybe some rivets, etc. You might want to take a magnet to it. It will only take you a minute or two. There is, at least here, a significant difference in value is steel, iron, etc is present. Don't worry though, it's pretty easy to remove everything that isn't aluminum. If a magnet doesn't stick to any part of it, then it's good to go.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  20:39:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I am also new to scrapping, it is very addictive. I drive my wife crazy, because I am always talking about scrap metal. This week I have found a pair of aluminum cruthces, window screen frames and a shower threshold. I also miss out on things because I am reluctant to get it from the curb. I need to learn to be bold. USsubsailor, what was the irony cast motor you took in. I am trying to learn what things are worth getting.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  06:21:08  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
evans, welcome to the forum. Many like minded people here. Enjoy your stay.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  14:35:02  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I've been scrapping a bunch of old alum. lawn chairs. I hope I get a good price(70 cents/lb?) as I have gotten every last steel rivet and brace out of the tubing.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  19:45:52  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Nowdays, if it's metal, it's worth getting!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  20:22:57  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Half the fun is taking out the steel rivets and breaking things down. Today I found pool pump and motor. I seperated the pump and the motor, I believe it was a good find.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  22:08:41  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I've caught the scrapping bug. I just brought home 23 old alum. pots and pans to scrap out. My wife is starting to complain about all the "junk" in the garage, but when this "junk" gets turned into gas money she stops the complaining.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2