Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 USA Numismatics (Coin Collecting)
 Silver Dollar advise
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greencopper
Penny Sorter Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  23:38:28  Show Profile Send greencopper a Private Message
I have a person that has a silver dollar collection that belonged to her father that she wants to sell. I have no idea how to approach this, as I don't know much about silver dollars. She gave me a partial list...
20 morgan misc dates, xf-au
20 morgan misc dates g fine
20 morgan misc dates vg fine
20 peace misc dates g vg

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to offer her?

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:03:19  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Try this site. It gives dates/mint marks and prices for each grade up to MS 60.
Go to Top of Page

greencopper
Penny Sorter Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  22:36:25  Show Profile Send greencopper a Private Message
She told me that her father paid $4000 12 years ago for these coins. Does anyone know how much they could have appreciated over the last 12 years. I want to be fare to her, but I don't want to take in the shorts either. Thanks for any help!
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  01:04:43  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
They could have gone up, or could have gone down significantly. A lot depends on if he bought them right. Most folks pay way too much for silver dollars, either because they don't know how to grade, don't know market values, or they get talked into spending way too much. Then they think someone is trying to rip them off when offered true market value at the time of disposal. It is possible that he has some dollars of the right date and grade to come out on this.. but it is much more likely from the description that he bought 4 rolls of common dates and got taken to the cleaners. You might not want to be the one to advise her just how much this nestegg has not appreciated. You can probably hire a professional coin dealer at an hourly rate to do a proper evaluation. You could also walk them around a local coin show and get several offers before selling. If she could scan the coins, you could post the pics here and members would be able to give you better info on actual market value.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  06:19:04  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
Hoard is right if these are common dates then he probably paid too much. It all depends on the dates and mint marks. If you could at least post a list of the dates and mint marks we could give you a little better idea what they are worth.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  14:16:49  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
as per the description you've stated, you'd be very lucky to get $1350, but more likely $1100 - $1200. Only the first roll will fetch more than a ten percent premium to melt.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Penny Pincher Member

156 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  05:40:33  Show Profile Send Dave a Private Message
Looks like her father got hosed, unless he has some key dates.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  07:42:03  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
I wonder if these were purchase off the TV infomercials. At $50 a morgan you should have some really nice looking coins...

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:48:21  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Definitely look for good dates. Most any book store will have a coin magazine you can buy for 4 or 5 dollars, then sit down and go through the coins and see what you have. Grading is somewhat subjective, but just go with the grades you have for now.One easy thing to do is look at mint marks. Any CC is worth around $100.00 at least.A few others to look for are 1893 (any mint)1899 no mint mark 1902S, and 1903O.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2