Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 Currently Circulating World Coins Forum
 Hong Kong 20 cent coin
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalmatian929

15 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:51:44  Show Profile Send Dalmatian929 a Private Message

Anyone ever find one of these Hong Kong 20 cent coins?

I found one in a roll - it is the same size as a US penny.

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  15:00:48  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
no I have not found one likeand its is a great find.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  15:05:53  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've got a few I picked up in Hong Kong. Interestingly Hong Kong stopped making coins completely. They are still legal tender but demand for coins is declining so much they don't need to make more. The Octopus Subway card is used for small purchases instead of coins.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  15:08:14  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Just posted a Hong Kong coin in the Beautiful Bronze thread!
You must be logged in to see this link.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Bart
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:58:14  Show Profile Send Bart a Private Message

Hey, I found one of those last week. It was a 1978. My son was surprised that the queen was on the flipside of coin. I had to explain a few things to him including that China has possession. He actually learned something & he is 19. He knows it all already - at least most of the time.

Happy hunting all!!

Nice. Yes. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  06:15:40  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
I have found one of those in a penny bag....cool looking coin

visit www.crazycoinguy.com
for information on how to sort, what to sort, and sorting equipment. We also sell copper pennies in bulk, and other coins.
Go to Top of Page

BCNumismatics
Penny Sorter Member

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  01:58:17  Show Profile Send BCNumismatics a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jadedragon

I've got a few I picked up in Hong Kong. Interestingly Hong Kong stopped making coins completely. They are still legal tender but demand for coins is declining so much they don't need to make more. The Octopus Subway card is used for small purchases instead of coins.

When did Hong Kong ceased to get coins struck? I know that the Hong Kong S.A.R. had coins in both 1997 & 1998.

As for the bimetallic $10 coin,I have only ever seen the 1994 & 1995 ones turn up.The 1997 commemorative one is classed as a medal-coin,as it was issued in the special commemorative Unc. & Proof sets only.

Aidan.

Aidan Work.

My numismatic photos can be found here; http://www.coinforums.com/gallery/u6-bcnumismatics.html .

Please let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

crystallegs

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  04:40:15  Show Profile Send crystallegs a Private Message
i have a huge list of hongkong coins
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  11:19:39  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
From wikipedia:
The Hong Kong coinage, including 10˘, 20˘, 50˘, $1, $2, $5 & $10, is issued by Hong Kong Monetary Authority on behalf of the Government of Hong Kong. Until 1992 these coins were embossed with the British monarch's effigy. From January 1993 to November 1994, a new series depicting the bauhinia flower was gradually issued, including a new denomination $10. Since the beginning of the coin replacement programme in 1993, over 585 million Queen's effigy coins have been withdrawn from circulation. However, the Queen's Head coins remain legal tender. The total value of coins in circulation in Hong Kong can be found in Monthly Statistical Bulletin and the Annual Report.

Since the introduction of Octopus card in 1997, small value payments and purchases in Hong Kong are mostly done as Octopus transactions. As a result, usage of coins in Hong Kong has dropped significantly. The Hong Kong Government has not minted any new coins since 1998. (perhaps circulation coins?)

The obverse of each newest coin bears the standard bauhinia, with the word “Hong Kong” in Chinese characters and English. The reverse features the denomination in Chinese characters and English with a large Arabic numeral in the centre and the year of issue below.

My comment: Inflation is also a factor of course in the drop in demand for coins. 1 Hong Kong dollar = 0.128849 U.S. dollars so $10 (the highest value coin) is only worth $1.28 US. Coins still circulate freely though - handled quite a few last trip through HK.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

badea

5 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  01:36:57  Show Profile Send badea a Private Message
if some one have coins pictures share with us.

Edited by - badea on 05/11/2010 03:01:44
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  16:22:29  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
I believe this was the coin originally discussed in this thread.

To check out a few other world coins, try my pet thread:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

NoCents
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2010 :  00:07:48  Show Profile Send NoCents a Private Message
I nabbed one out of a brinks box last week, very cool coin.
Then, this week, I got one that was the exact same shape and size of that one, except this one is silver looking and made of tin I think, it's a 1989 from Belize and is one cent, and it also has QE2 on the reverse upside down with a different crown her. Bitch gets around doesn't she?

What's in it for the dude?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2