Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Canadian nickels 2006
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  19:57:29  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Hi all

Does anyone know if the metal content for Canadian "nickels" changed in 2006? I thought they were supposed to be stainless steel, but I am finding a significant fraction of them are not magnetic? Is it possible that some employee at the Mint found a few sheets of cupronickel lying around and used them, or is something else going on?

Not all who wander are lost.

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:28:09  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Yes, they switched back to cupronickel because the coins last a lot longet han steel ones. Also - where are you collecting, and what sort of percentages are you seeing? Getting any pre-sorted boxes?

HoardCode0.1: M28/5CAON:CA5Ni35000:CA1Cu1200:CA100Ag345:
CA10Ag250:CA50Ag100:CA25Ag30:CA500Ag48:US100Ag20:CA1000Ag16

How to read a HoardCode:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:41:16  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I'm collecting in Canada. Until this year I collected exclusively silver and gold, and have only started picking up the base metals. I actually used to collect the pre-1982 nickels starting years ago, but only casually (from pocket change). I got the idea visiting my silver supplier, who had about 180,000 pre-1982 nickels and spoke of a buyer in the US. Even now I don't do it that seriously, I've only bought maybe 20 rolls of nickels and about the same amount of pennies. In terms of percentages, I'd say that I found pretty nearly an average of 9 Ni nickels per roll but I really haven't counted the CuNi nickels.

I tested some of the recent (Canadian) pennies magnetically and also find from time to time some of them are not magnetic. The 2007s I think, and occasionally other years from 2003 up. But most of those are magnetic.

Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  15:53:01  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
Hi Mickeyman.

I am a Canadian nickel sorter as well. I am always looking for other outlets in Canada to sell them and it sounds like your dealer has a pretty big one. What city may I ask?
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  20:59:02  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Hi fasttcar:

To be honest I didn't ask. My thinking with the nickels is that they will be a little like silver coins, which I am not saving to melt down, but because even now (and more so in the future) they will be usable as trading. There is an underground economy running on silver coins, and they have the advantage of generating tax losses because they are legal tender. My thinking is that before long, the nickels will be used for the same purpose. To my mind, that will be more practical than melting them. (Not that I would ever be involved in the underground economy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2