Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Greetings and a Question
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:01:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Greetings all, new member here. New to the forums but not to coin collecting or penny hoarding. Started picking out the coppers last year sometime when a builder friend of mine was bitching about the price of copper going through the roof. Got a great start too since back in the mid to late 80's during my silver buying years I put a small safe in my house but it was actually so light that it could have been easily carried off, The solution? Three full 50 dollar mint sacks of pennies for weight! Who would have guessed at the time. Anyway they were about 90% copper. Now I'm getting boxes from the bank and they are running about 25% Great passtime for someone who loves to spend money but doesn't have much! Anyway here is my question for the group, what do you think it will take to kick off widespread penny hoarding by the general public? Do you think the redesign of the Lincoln Penny in 2009 will cause regular Joe's to start socking away a few thousand "old pennies"? My understanding is that the penny will never return to the exact design as before (like the nickel) getting another facelift for 2010 and beyond. Thoughts?

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:47:11  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I think that inflation awareness is the key. As long as the government can keep inflation under wraps, most people will see no good reason to convert their convenient, interest gathering, paper/electronic hoards into a bulky, against the law to melt, penny hoard. Maybe $5 dollar gas will be the tipping point...who knows.

On the other hand, I think a few well funded forward thinking investors may end up harvesting the bulk of the pennies before the masses even gets a clue.

Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  12:41:18  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I think the penny is more likely to be phased out of circulation over the next decade than hoarded by more than 5% of the general public.

RUNNING TOTAL
--------------------------
2854 zincs (1982-2007) 75.5%
898 coppers (1959-1982) 23.7%
23 wheats (1920-1958)
6 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Wanna take money away from the Fed? Spend dollar coins!
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  15:09:23  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Welcome to the forum, Apogee.

Hording pennies for their metal value (much like the hoarding of silver coins in the 1960's) is still not looked upon by the general public as a way to increase one's buying power due to inflation.
Only if some talking head on a cable investment program mentioned it, would the masses begin to take hoarding pennies seriously.

I should have chosen "Cut-n-Paste" as a forum name, since that is what I do, mostly.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  16:26:16  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pencilvanian

Hording pennies for their metal value (much like the hoarding of silver coins in the 1960's) is still not looked upon by the general public as a way to increase one's buying power due to inflation.
Only if some talking head on a cable investment program mentioned it, would the masses begin to take hoarding pennies seriously.

I should have chosen "Cut-n-Paste" as a forum name, since that is what I do, mostly.

The penny in particular is considered to be a joke among most people who consider it beneath them. Show them a stock of copper or zinc bullion and many of them will become impressed.

I'm waiting to see what the 09 penny will be made of. If it is not zinc anymore then it will make it easier to hand sort them with a new design.

I'm bullish on Zinc too over the long term.
Fanaticism is doubling one's efforts, yet forgetting one's purpose.

Go to Top of Page

CajunCoin
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  10:12:17  Show Profile Send CajunCoin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pencilvanian

Please lets not inform the talking heads until we can sell them our stashes for a premimum.

Real Money Rings True.
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  08:21:31  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
At the rate pennies are lost, distroyed, melted, smashed, drilled out and many other things that people do with them, eventually there will be few left. Only coin collectors and/or copper hoarders will have them. It is not that pennies will be phased out, all coinage will soon enough be gone. Even now coinage is being produced more and more by the Mint for collectors, not circulation. Credit and debit cards are taking over all transactions. Due to intercontinental trading, most monitary systems will become obsolete. A Monitary system based on computer translations will take over and coinage will be a thing of the past.
Soon enough some kid will be saying "hey granpa, what was that stuff you people use to use called cash"

Carl
Go to Top of Page

NiBullionCu
Penny Pincher Member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  19:07:01  Show Profile Send NiBullionCu a Private Message
Even now coinage is being produced more and more by the Mint for collectors, not circulation.

Sorry JC, but mintage figures do not bear this out. The "cashless" society is a long way off. With the ever billions of coins struck each year, they won't be disappearing for a long time.

I predict the "cashless" society will occur six months after the "paperless" office is achieved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2