Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Half Dollars and other coins
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  22:14:03  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
$340 in halves searched in hand folded rolls and found 1 1968-D 40% and 1 1966 40%. I've thought about getting a box of halves, but it seems like almost everybody has been skunked when geting a box. I've been just going around town to all the banks and credit unions asking for all of their rolls of halves. Most places only had a roll or two loose at the tellers windows, but a few places had 10 or more rolls which they seemed to be glad I was taking them.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  21:48:18  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I sorted an unusual but what turned out to be a great box this weekend. Two rolls had a quarter instead of a half. 3 other rolls were short a half. Found 7 40%ers. Found 1 2003. And, drum roll, found a 1986 S commemorative. This coin is worth about $6 in its grade, better than a 90% silver. Much better than the skunking I took last weekend.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  07:25:22  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
This weekend found a 2006 (unfortunately had a scratch ring in the front from an automatic roller I guess), a 1969 and a 1936 Walking Liberty. Slooooowwwwlllyy building the silver hoard in this manner.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  15:48:30  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I get a roll of half dollars every now and then. It appears the bank tellers already go through them looking for the 40% because most rolls have a check mark on them. Still, I like the feel of a half dollar coin and keep some around.

Fanaticism is doubling one's efforts, yet forgetting one's purpose.
Realcent.forumco.com disclosure please read
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of You must be logged in to see this link. are for entertainment purpose only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com to provide investment, medical, legal or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  19:43:00  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I picked up $200 in halves yesterday and found two 1967 40% silvers. This was the first time I received halves loose in a bag. I thought for shure that the silver would have been picked over by the tellers. But I got lucky and found the silver. I wonder how often tellers pick out the silver and other "good stuff". I would love to be able to sit in a vault and look thru all the coins, but I guess I would have to own a bank to do that.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  13:22:24  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
My usual bank branch had 19 big Eisenhower dollars on Saturday. These are the first Ikes I've seen since getting deep into coins last year. Man, those coins are HUGE!

RUNNING TOTAL
---------------------------------------
3501 zincs (1982-2007) 75.4%
1106 coppers (1959-1982) 23.8%
31 wheats (1920-1958)
7 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Wanna take money away from the Fed? Spend dollar coins!
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  09:41:03  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Great find Cerulean. I have found no Ikes at my local banks. I sorted a box of halves last week and found a 1964 and a 1969. So, I avoided a skunking.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  11:51:44  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Those Ikes are great to get a hold of at face value. I almost got 7 Ikes that I saw in a cash regisiter at a chinese resturant last spring. The girl was about to give them to me as part of my change, but was stopped by another cashier who said they were for somebody else. I was really upset me to the point of seeing yellowed, then why leave them in the cash register for everyone to see?
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  12:25:10  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
Over the past year of coin hunting, I've found over a thousand Ikes (no silver, though). Sold them all for $1.05 apiece. Only one was a 1973. Since I sold them, I've accumulated 8 more. If I do enough coin hunting, I usually hit upon a bank that has several hundred. One bank I hit earlier this year had over 500. Lately, though, I've hit a real dry spell with Ikes.

I search halves, too, and can usually get at least one ounce per week. That's my goal.

War Nix are more one of my favorite coins to find, so I love searching nickels for a change of pace.

Dimes are a fast search---if they're machine-wrapped and I'm only looking for silver, I don't even have to unwrap the darn things.

I don't bother with quarters too much, unless I have tons of coin hunting cash to spare, which I rarely do,

Pennies are my favorite, because as long as there's some coppers in the mix, I don't feel like I'm getting skunked.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  16:27:08  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
$410 in halves searched today. Got 1 1964-D 90% silver and a 1967 and 1968-D, both 40% silver. I'm running out of local banks to get fresh halves from. I would hate to get back rolls of halves that I just looked thru.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  13:45:43  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Got skunked on a box of halves yesterday. Box of nickels search had 10 from the 50s and 8 from the 40s. Nothing older than 41 and no war nickels (silver).
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  19:01:47  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Cashed in my zincs and went down the block to the next bank to get $100 in halves and got one 1967 40% silver half. Came back this morning to get another $250 in halves and was skunked.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:17:42  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

-------------snip-----------

While it waits for a verdict on its plan to pinch pennies from pennies, Jackson Metals has kept its workers busy combing through Canadian nickels to find coins minted between 1946 and 1981 that were made of pure nickel and are currently worth 14.3 U.S. cents.

They've also been sorting through $14 million worth of half-dollar coins from throughout the country to cull silver coins made before 1964.

"I think we've recovered the last of the silver coins," says Luhrman. "Our process is very thorough."
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  16:02:40  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
$200 in halves searched and got 1 40% silver. Also found a silver dime in yesterdays change.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  19:02:17  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Footnote:
As to the claim the company's process is very thorough, this applies only to the coins it could get or find, not the coins out of circulation, as in loose change waiting for the day to be spent, dumped into coinstar or deposited into bank accounts.

How much change is sitting in junk drawers, change jars, hidden in seat coushions or uncer car mats waiting to be found?
How much of this change is silver?

Some years back I had to give my brother a hand with some project, while riding with him I discovered a siver dime in his ash tray. He let me keep it as payment for my time and trouble (real generous of him).

Silver keeps popping up when you least expect it so I wouldn't be suprised if silver halves keep popping up in the future, though they may be more scarce due to the "silver" mining done by roll hunters past and present.

Even penny candies sell for a quarter nowadays.
Inflation, bah humbug.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  18:00:22  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
$150 in halves searched today and got 2 40% silvers, both 1968-D.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  07:11:19  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Searched another $200 in halves and got 1 90%(1964) and 2 40%(1966 and 1967). $150 left to sort-I hope to find more. Slowly building a silver hoard.
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  05:16:33  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Last $150 searched and found no silver halves.
Go to Top of Page

cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  16:10:36  Show Profile Send cyberdan a Private Message
I have been searching halves for one year this week. I have gone through about $74500. I am not rich, I have "recycled" about 4 grand over 18 times. (buy-sort-deposit) I have found over 1000 40%ers and a few hundred 90% halves including franklins, walking liberties and one Barber.

I have just recently gotten into cents and have a couple hundred pounds of CU stashed away.
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  17:04:01  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I have been skunked so much that I may just frame the next silver half dollar I find -- if I ever find another one.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:25:51  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by texcattlerancher

I have been skunked so much that I may just frame the next silver half dollar I find -- if I ever find another one.

I've never have any luck with halves, either. I can only get loose coins or a few rolls at at time...none of the banks or credit unions I go to sell boxes. At this point, I've given up.
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  16:27:12  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
This is strange. When I went to the bank to deposit some company checks this afternoon, I noticed a silvery looking .50 cent piece in the tellers tray. It wasn't silver, but the teller asked me if that was what I was looking for. I told her that I was and she asked me to wait a second while she went to the drive thru. She came back with two 40% silver halves...a 67' & a 68'. I couldn't believe my luck! She said that she had thought about buying them, but she just didn't care enough. I thanked her profusely. Her loss was my gain. I'm going to start complaining on this board about silver every Friday to see if my luck continues.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  00:58:41  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I got a nice surprise today: I searched only $15 in dimes and found a 1941 Merc. No matter how small or how little---I still get a rush from finding silver!

happy hunting, everyone!

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  05:05:18  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I'm on to halves this morning, and surprisingly, I haven't been skunked. $100 yielded two 40%ers (both 1969) and.....an 1898 Victorian British Penny---and what a penny it is! A big ol' hunk of copper! It's extremely worn, probably basal state to fair, but I can still make out the date, a silhouette of the Queen, and Lady Britannia in her "wheelchair." Never thought I'd find copper while sorting through a bunch of halves. hahaha.

Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  16:27:55  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
quote:
I got a nice surprise today: I searched only $15 in dimes and found a 1941 Merc. No matter how small or how little---I still get a rush from finding silver!

That's phenomenal. I've sorted hundreds of dollars worth & have come up with nothing. How often do you sort dimes & what kind of luck do you have?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2