Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Getting Halves
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  07:38:01  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
I live in a major city with lots of branches. My problem is getting any halves at all.

I could go to a dozen banks and come back with maybe $100 in halves.

here are some ideas i have.

first, a lot of tellers are too lazy to go to the vault.

second, a lot of branches simply don't have any in the vault.

third, my guess is that you have better results when you get the stuff that has been laying around for years rather than stuff they order for you.

I have relationships with some branches and could put in a standing order but have avoided that so far because of my prejudice that that will not be as sucessful. but its gettting to be so much work to find anything that I think I will have to do that.

There are several credit unions here that have counting machines. But they don't fill up the half dollar bags but a few times a year. I brought some of my dump halves to fill up their bag and did manage to buy the bag from them but I could tell I was wearing out my welcome by dumping where I was buying coin.

Any thoughts on ideas to source halves?

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  23:18:03  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I have mine ordered from a US Bank. Mostly poor results, but every silver coin that I get is one that I didn't have.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

ME CO
Penny Pincher Member

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  23:19:05  Show Profile Send ME CO a Private Message
Order them and see what happens. I order all of mine and yes I see coins I recognize but I also find silver almost every day. HH Mark

"54/54/2280"
Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  23:27:14  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
I have avg'd almost 1.25 Toz per 2 boxes (per week, 2 boxes). I am not going to be rich, but if I sustain even 1/2 of that over a year, its approx 31oz added to the stack in a years time.

31 toz @ what I hope to see, a modest $16.00 spot = $496 profit.

I could let my $1000 of capital sit in a bank and earn a safe 3% for a $30.00 APR. Or make it work for me more and earn $460.00 more.

Now I am not counting my labor, like some might suggest because this is a hobby, I am at home, I am relaxing.

Go to Top of Page

L1011
Penny Collector Member

310 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  19:45:53  Show Profile Send L1011 a Private Message
I used to order them, gotta get back into to that......
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:25:11  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
It all depends on your pickup bank. I've done over 125 Toz in the last year from ordering boxes in a major metro area.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2