Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 CNN Article
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  14:36:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
The Fight Against the Penny
You must be logged in to see this link.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - As the value of zinc going into a penny is now worth more than the coin itself, one congressman is rekindling plans to eliminate it. Representative Jim Kolbe, R-Arizona, told CNNMoney.com he plans to reintroduce legislation to eliminate the penny in the coming weeks...

El Borak's Myopia

Myopia: (n) a lack of foresight or discernment: a narrow view of something

ImperialFleet
Penny Pincher Member

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  14:45:26  Show Profile Send ImperialFleet a Private Message
So, who voted "yes" to eliminate the penny?

“Ultimately, the Fed can flood the system by buying any kind of asset, or even dropping bank notes from helicopters" -Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

115 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  14:52:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
This guy has tried this before. The only problem that I see with getting rid of the penny is that the goverment will probably demonetize it and ask for all of them to be returned by a certain time. This means hoard them while you can but keep in mind that if they are demonetized you will not be able to return them for FRNs afterwards.

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --- Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  13:30:25  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Another chance to kill the cent. I'm all for it.

<< Americans for Common Cents (ACC) is an interest group that counts among its supporters coin and numismatic hobby groups, charitable organizations - and companies involved in zinc production. >>

(Quote from a friend who collects moderns)
This is a lie. These are shills for the zinc mining industry to augment their lobbying efforts.

Also

''Charitable organizations have little use for the cent because it costs far too much to count
and transport the coins. Consumers lose, retailers lose, banks lose, and the mint loses
while the zinc miners roll in record profits.''

''Passing this bill requires that Congress do something that is fiscally responsible and against the wishes of special interest groups. When was the last time *that* happened?''

IMO we should round up/down to the 5 cent, lose the cent and paper 1$, then MTFO with our life's.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  19:10:04  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
[i]Originally posted by IM_O.K.[/The only problem that I see with getting rid of the penny is that the goverment will probably demonetize it and ask for all of them to be returned by a certain time. This means hoard them while you can but keep in mind that if they are demonetized you will not be able to return them for FRNs afterwards.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would demonetized them. Some countries have done this though. I don't recall any American coin being demonetized. Not even the gold coins were demonetized when they were recalled in the 30s. If they did this they would become instant collector's items.

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  22:41:26  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
The trade dollar was demonetized in 1876 and remonetized in the coinage act of 1965.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  23:57:30  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Yeah, Colby has tried it before, but of course, he's from the state that produces more copper than any other. His main opponent last time around was from Tennesee, which produces about 85% of the zinc that goes into cents. But that's just coincidence, I'll bet.

El Borak's Myopia

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  17:49:07  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by El Borak

Yeah, Colby has tried it before, but of course, he's from the state that produces more copper than any other. His main opponent last time around was from Tennesee, which produces about 85% of the zinc that goes into cents. But that's just coincidence, I'll bet.

El Borak's Myopia

Colby is from a copper state? That would mean less copper would be used to plate the zinc pennies if they pulled them. I know what Colby really wants. He wants to bring back the copper cent!

Colby for President!

Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2