Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 when do I start saving US nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  01:32:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I see the price is 8.6 cents. any thoughts?

"Preserving coinage by the pound"

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  02:15:36  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Start Saving them anytime you want, John. They will always be worth at least a nickel. You should only buy 1 or 2 boxes at a time though.. they are heavy. The advantage of the nickels is you don't even have to sort them.. unless you want to, of course. I found 2 Silver War Nickels in a box today.

"Preserving coinage.. 2 tons at a time"

M48/14USCA:US1Cu659700:US5Ni20560
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  11:18:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
ok, thanks.

so when do they stop producing nickels and what will they change their composition to? zinc? all copper?

Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:11:18  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
What happens to nickels and pennies in the future is anybody's guess. Though there have been a couple of suggestions and past attempts on changing them nothing solid is currently pending.

A little history might help in predicting the future:
1964 last year for most silver coins
1967 - 1969 ban on melting silver coins

1974 - 1978 ban on melting pennies
1982 last year for copper pennies

late 2006 ban on melting pennies and nickels

Notice how the first ban came after they stopped making silver coins and lasted only 2 years as it was pointless (it didn't slow down hoarding).

Notice how the second ban came and went It was 8 years or so between the time it started and the time they started making copper pennies. Copper eased a bit and hoarding never took off like they feared when placed the ban. Copper pennies are still in circulation today (IE worth 1 cent to most people)...so if someone started hoarding in 1974 when the melt banned started they might still be waiting today to sell their pennies!

So if history is any indication nickels and pennies will change composition (or simply be eliminated or revalued) anywhere from this year to 8 years in the future depending on metal prices. And at some point along the way or just aftwards the ban on melting will fail and will be eliminated.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:44:55  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Start Saving them anytime you want, John. They will always be worth at least a nickel. You should only buy 1 or 2 boxes at a time though.. they are heavy. The advantage of the nickels is you don't even have to sort them.. unless you want to, of course. I found 2 Silver War Nickels in a box today.

Not only are they heavy for you they are also heavy for the bank tellers. Not all that many banks have more than a few boxes of nickels around and they have to service their business customers with them. So don't expect to come out with $500 worth of nickels from the same bank on the same day. I cycle banks and their branches. I find I have to time things right so not to call attention to myself and PI$$ off the tellers.

It takes time to put together a large hoard of nickels. So if you are serious, starting doing so now.

For good times to come or bad times to come, now is the time to save your copper or nickel coins.
Go to Top of Page

thebeave
Penny Sorter Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:02:04  Show Profile Send thebeave a Private Message
For whatever reason, I am afraid to just go ask for a box of coins from a bank. Do they normally question why you want a box and if they do should I tell them I am going to do something different than what I plan to do?

-------------------------------------------------
You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - thebeave on 03/20/2007 13:03:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:16:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I usually ask for Customer rolls of nickels, they are happy to get them off their hands.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  14:33:30  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
When I first went to a bank and asked for a boxes of pennies and nickels they looked at me like I had a three eyes. They didn't have them so I asked them for all the rolls that they could spare. They again looked at me like I had three eyes, but MOST banks gave me the nickel and penny rolls that they could spare. I did encounter a couple of banks that claimed that they did not give out change if you did not have an account...go figure.

But then I got smart. Instead of driving around to random banks and asking for boxes of pennies and nickels, I went to my banks and asked them to ORDER me boxes and nickels. All of a sudden I got no strange looks. At the 2 banks that I bank at, they refer to me as the nickel guy and they will order me all the nickel and/or penny boxes I want no problems. In fact, I got a standing order for them to order nickels and pennies for me every week until I tell them to stop. (They have one day of the week that they place orders with Brinks and another day that Brinks delivers on.)

To smooth things, just have an account at the bank you choose and tell them you are a collector and like to search for rare coins. Also let them know that you are serious and will pick the stuff up the day it arrives. That way they don't get stuck with a bunch of nickels sitting around that they may not have space for.

Also, I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but one bank so far has given me 100% Brinks boxes and the other 100% Mint boxes of nickels. Maybe they have different sources for their coins or maybe not...beats me.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  16:37:14  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Sure, you can ask them to order them for you, but that takes all the fun out of doing a "bank job".

For good times to come or bad times to come, now is the time to save your copper or nickel coins.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  17:10:11  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

To smooth things, just have an account at the bank you choose and tell them you are a collector and like to search for rare coins.

You are right on the money as far as saying you are a coin collector, Horgad.

Coin collectors are buying rolls too.

A bit of competition for us, but they are looking for rarities instead of what is right in front of them, the new silver rush! Copper and nickel coins.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 03/20/2007 18:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  17:12:58  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
"It takes time to put together a large hoard of nickels. So if you are serious, starting doing so now."

Amen to that.

HoardCode0.1: M28/5CAON:CA5Ni35000:CA1Cu1200:CA100Ag345:
CA10Ag250:CA50Ag100:CA25Ag30:CA500Ag48:US100Ag20:CA1000Ag16

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  17:26:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
ha ha, define large hoard though!

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:35:17  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by John Law

ha ha, define large hoard though!

$1000 in nickels is a start, $2500 is getting serious, $5,000 is getting greedy (like Daffy) and a ton is large, but as you will see, it's not really huge.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:56:00  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
I've only got about $1850 in nickels hoarded, but I'm only keeping. the .999 ones. I've had to go through about $10,000 worth of boxes so far (~100 boxes)

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  20:55:04  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian_Nickle

I've only got about $1850 in nickels hoarded, but I'm only keeping. the .999 ones. I've had to go through about $10,000 worth of boxes so far (~100 boxes)

Yeah, but that's $100 Canadian.. much easier to scrape up than $100 US. I keep all the .999 nickels I can get, too.. just don't get many of them down here in CA.

Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:26:09  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
When hoarding anything attempt to forcast what may or may not be of value in the future. This is difficult obviously or there would be more millionaires. At present metals of all types are going up in value rather continuously but rather sporatically. My prediction is that metals will become less and less used by industry and more and more will be found through mining. Example is the massive change of Copper wiring to fibre optics. If you have been into shooting guns you would have noticed the change over the years to even plastics in guns and ammo. The auto industry has been coverting more and more to plastics for thier products. All this will soon make metal prices drop and the hoarding of coins will be a thing of the past. Of course there will still be face value but just think if you had thousands of dollars in coins sitting in a lump, in a savings account you could at least have some interest and no big pile of stuff sitting there.
Another example is not long ago I knew a person at a flea market that had accomeulated virtually tons of Beanie Babies for resale at the flea market. He started accomeulating when they were into the hundreds of dollars for some. He ended up selling all for about $2 each and took a substantial loss.
The moral is don't save for what might happen in the distant future with things that may not be even worth your time.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:24:54  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
quote:

The moral is don't save for what might happen in the distant future with things that may not be even worth your time.

I couldn't disagree more. Anybody who has anything is save "for what might happen in the ... future". We are all investors...there is no way to avoid it. As such it is a good idea to at least attempt to make a good decision on what to invest in.

As for people who refuse to make a decision on how to invest, a default decision is made for them. They end up with dollars in the bank, or a house, or a whatever. And dollars by the way are pretty darn close to 100% guarenteed to fall against almost every other kind of stuff that you can imagine.

As for beenie babies, you are comparing apples to oranges. True wealth comes from labor of man. Beenie Babies contain a small portion of true wealth (labor to make them) and a large portion of fake wealth (wishful thinking, greed factor, etc.) Therefore when the price dropps on Beenie Babies the company can still keep making them at a profit. On the other hand, bases metals take a lot of labor to produce (contain alot of real wealth) and if the price drops too much people stop making them and as a result the price eventually goes up again. There really is no comparison to the two.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  13:30:30  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Also, you can't replace copper electrical wiring or copper pipes with "fiber optic" = only telephone/data lines.

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  19:11:31  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I agree with Carl part way as far as metal cosumption is concerned, but only part way.
As the price of any metal increases, the desire to use less expensive substitutes comes into play.
Cheaper substitutes, more affordable price, more units sold.

Yet there are some uses for metal that can not be substituted without paying for replacements in the future.
At one time radiatiors for cars and trucks were all metal and leaks and cracks were rare or easily fixed. Now, with some cars and trucks, radiators are made with a plastic frame while the center is copper or brass.
While the price was lowered because of the cheaper material, cracks in radiatiors is more common today. Replacement of the whole unit is needed rather than a weld job to repair a radiator (I learned about this the hard way with my last vehicle.)
As the price of metals goes up, the suppliers will try to keep up with demand, and, in the past, the supply exceeded demand and prices fell.
Today however, China and India are trying to push or pull themselves out of the 19th century into the 21st century. This requires more buildings, roads, pipes to carry water in and waste water out, more generators, etc.
This all requires metals.
I do not expect the price of metals to fall dramatically until China and India are 75%-80% done with their growth.

While it can be argued we cannot see what the future holds, we can at least learn the obvious that most don't realize:

1. Inflation is pushing up the price of everything (including metals) while pushing down the buying power of dollars. Moving from a falling currency to a non-currency item to weather the storm of inflation is not a bad idea. The rich do the same thing(buying art, high end jewelry and such) so why should'nt we do the same with our coins?
2. Know when to get out. I certianly hope no one on this forum will hold their hoarde forever. There will be a time to buy (cheap) then a time to sell (for a very good price).
We must develop a sell-off strategy so as not to get stuck if metals prices decline. Unlike the beanie baby investor, we should know when it is time to get out, and that time will be when everybody is rushing to get in.
3. How much did we pay for our copper pennies and cupronickel or nickel coins? Face value, of course. We never lose the purchase price of our investment, and if the prices fall to just under face, we sigh, shrug our shoulders and hope for the prices to rise. Unlike commodities speculatiors, we don't lose our shirts if the prices rise or fall, and with inflation pushing up the price of everything, metals will go up as the US Dollar goes down.
Besides, we may have a numismatic value to our coins in the future, so we can't lose any way you look at it.

We might as well speculate with coins, it is the easiest and cheapest speculation around.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 03/22/2007 19:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  19:34:00  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
"We might as well speculate with coins, it is the easiest and cheapest speculation around." - pencilvanian

You are sooooooooo right. As I have said before, IMO there is not a perfect investment. Not gold, goverment bonds, or stocks. But coin speculation at this time comes close. I got my hoard one nickel at a time and it didn't cost me a dime. I'm only exchanging paper money for coinage. In addition, I like owning a hoard of nickels. It's like buying something but not spending any money at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  20:07:30  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Exactly. Wehn you blow a grand on some piece of sh!t electronics, you get a whole whack of Buyer's Remorse. When you blow a grand on a grand worth (face) of coins, not so much.

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  11:34:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I've decided to keep some nickels for now and figure it all out later.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  16:58:21  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
now 9.4 cents.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  17:47:06  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
This is a great thread, many good comments.

First, hat's off to JustCarl for taking a contrarian position.
I disagree with you Carl, but I respect you for putting forth a polite contrarian view.

Second, I think Penn has raised an issue several times around here and I haven't seen much response.
I haven't responded, but the isssue raised is of the utmost importance.

Qwote:
"2. Know when to get out. I certianly hope no one on this forum will hold their hoarde forever. There will be a time to buy (cheap) then a time to sell (for a very good price).
We must develop a sell-off strategy so as not to get stuck if metals prices decline. Unlike the beanie baby investor, we should know when it is time to get out, and that time will be when everybody is rushing to get in."
-Penncilvanian

This is the elephant in the room, isn't it?
We should be having a calm and reasoned discussion on this point BEFOREhand.
If we have run this idea around inside our skulls for months and looked at this problem from every concievable angle and discussed it and researched it, then and only then will we be prepared.

Chance favors the prepared mind, right?

On April 24th, 2007, Dennis Kucinich submitted articles of Impeachment against Dick Cheney.
I think it is called House Resolution 333.

My response was to immediately send him a monetary contribution.
Actions speak louder than words.

If you agree that someone should Impeach Dick Cheney, then please show the world and future historians that you think so.
Send him whatever makes sense for you.

I'm sure that if you sent him at least $5 they would come out ahead after processing the transaction.
What matters is that we support those who do the right thing.

"Now, with respect to the president. I think that it's very important that we start with Mr. Cheney. Because if we were to start with the president and pursue articles of impeachment, Mr. Cheney would then become president."
-Dennis Kucinich 2007, Apr. 24
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  19:22:13  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Sell wehn you have multiple compeeting buyers.

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  01:03:49  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Every paycheck I pick up $20 in nickels.

Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2