Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 What armoured vechile compan sort coins in Canada
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  14:39:59  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
I was wondering if anyone knew what companies in Canada are sorting coins themselves and if there are any there is any way to buy coins off of them before they sort.

I cannot believe there is no better way to get coins in Canada then going to the bank.

I called coinstar and they said that armoured vechiles come and pick up the coins and there was no way for me to get them. Then they said that each location chose their own armoured vehicle company. So now I am going to go talk to grocery stores and see if they will let me liberate their coins.

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  17:47:09  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
Where in Canada are you located?

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  17:52:20  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
As a follow up, Coinstar will not deal with any individuals. They use Garda now (used to be Coinage Distribution) and handle all the coin processing (including alloy removal) for the mint.

You will have very little luck with the grocery stores either.

You can try local vending operations, but very few have pennies or nickels in any quantity. Silver in circulation is about .005% in my experience, so sorting for it on a small scale is not worth it in Canada. In the US, you can still score with halves, but not here.

If you are in Ontario, send me an email and I can share some more with you.

daniel@coincanada.ca

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page

didou
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  18:42:39  Show Profile Send didou a Private Message
Very interesting post :)

I too try to figure where the coins go and from. From what i have understand so far, store and small bank get their coins deliver/taken to the door by armored car. For small store like mini-store they take their coins at the bank.

I can also tell you that 3 bank here used Garda (CIBC, Banque de Montréal, Banque Nationale du Canada), and 2 others bank (RBC, Desjardins) and a store (Zellers) use TD Canada Trust. Garda seem also responsible for 2 automatic cash retriever (Desjardins and RBC) I mark all the roll i return at bank by a small red or green line near the clip on top with a permanent marker. So far i never seen one of my roll back to me. I slowly draw a map on the coins flow in the area each time i see a armored car or if i get a friendly teller who know and willing to tell me. There only 1 taxi company here and they used a lot of coins, all from Dejardins. I wasn`t able to find and talk to 2 person : the city who take coins from park meters and the main distributor of all the automatic soft liquor machine in the area.

As far as i know these armored car company deal directly with ARP Alloy Removal Program and the Mint.

Like i say it`s a long work in progress, but i`m really interested to continue mapping my small area and know more about this.

For Garda you can look at this :
You must be logged in to see this link.
you can register and have coins deliver/taken to your door. They will probably need a good amount or a business to allow you to register. I never try to contact them so far because i don't have the mean to operate on a large scale yet.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2