Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 2009 Jeffersons
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  11:10:33  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
New to the forum as of today, and I have been hording & investing in MS graded Jeffrsons since they were last intrinsically valued over 5 cents the govt passed the no melt/no export law. Passing the law was my que to start hording backed by the they are the only US coin that hasn't been debased, YET.

I have noticed the following: A) under 40 million Jeffersons each coined from P & D mints; B) none found in circulated rolls from the bank; and C) these coins selling on ebay in uncirculated rolls for about $1.50/coin.

My questions/thoughts on this are below:

The mint reports the reason for the low mintage was it was a very poor year economically and the American people cashed in a lot of coins being saved, so less were needed in circulation. I think they didn't want to lose money by coining them.

How did these folks on ebay get (all of them?) so many?.

And, is it worth the premium to purchase some now, or better to wait, or never?

That these coins are being seriously horded and bringing some serious profit to the sellers is obivious. However, wouldn't this also be an ideal time for the govt to debase them, thus making '09 the last year of the last "real" American coin? I understand the 1955s were low in mintage (around 8 million) and horded keeping the premiums low to date, but still a key date to own.

Replys requested. Thanks in advance. JB

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:07:01  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Welcome...johnbrickner.

If you look at the 2009 First Finds Contest in the Contest forum you'll see that I found one 2009 P nickel from a roll I obtained at the bank.

I think, too, that the 2009 nickels and dimes are going to be like the 1950 D nickel in that they are being hoarded as soon as anyone was able to get their hands on any of them.

Rumor has it that people made "arrangements" with the coin handlers at large stores like Wal-Mart, etc. to purchase these coins for a bit of a premium or some sort of kick-back and then either kept them or sold them on eBay for a huge profit.

I, too, have heard the rumor about the mintages being low this past year (2009) for most coinage since people had turned in their change jars and that put the amount of coins in circulation that needed to be there, hence they weren't needed to be minted.

Enjoy your searches, everyone.

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  22:02:27  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
PTP
I'd like to see the needle in a haystack. Can you scan and upload obv/rev pics?

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  22:03:45  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I. am going to wait I think they will show up later. To much hype now.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  18:17:13  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by uthminsta

PTP
I'd like to see the needle in a haystack. Can you scan and upload obv/rev pics?

I took a few photos. Don't know how to work the scanner or I'd use that. Hopefully, my husband will be able to get the pictures from the camera to the computer for me tomorrow before he leaves for work. Then, if they show up as well as the other nickel photos I took did and if Nate is once again willing to help me out, hopefully we can get some photos posted.

Thanks for your interest.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:47:15  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
just saw this thread and am shocked I never heard this or never registered it if I did. Thanks for the heads up

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  13:46:21  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Here's PTP's find

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  13:58:02  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Thanks again, Nate, for your assistance once again.

Nate is great to deal with at The Copper Cave with really cool products and is an awesome help here on the forum to those of us, like me, that still live in the age of the dinosaur with too slow dial-up and too little computer aptitude.

Enjoy the pictures, everyone. Now, I need to find the D and both dimes from 2009. My son and his wife will need to be married about 100 years for the pretty jar to be filled with their anniversary year coins at the rate I am finding them! LOL

Go to Top of Page

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:06:50  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
I have seen rolls of P dimes and nickels online, but not the Ds. Anyone know where I can find them?

Copper Cent Hoarding Wiki

coppercenthoarding.wikia.com

+637 posts
Go to Top of Page

Megaman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:38:54  Show Profile Send Megaman a Private Message
the nickles seem to sell for like 2-3 bucks apiece on ebay

Must hoard more......
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  00:02:09  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
That's only cause I don't have any. As soon as I get a box they will be selling for about 1.95 per roll.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  14:35:23  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
I'm purchsing a $200 bag of nickles this week. Let you know if I find ANY '09s in it.

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  14:45:29  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by johnbrickner

New to the forum as of today, and I have been hording & investing in MS graded Jeffrsons since they were last intrinsically valued over 5 cents the govt passed the no melt/no export law. Passing the law was my que to start hording backed by the they are the only US coin that hasn't been debased, YET.

I have noticed the following: A) under 40 million Jeffersons each coined from P & D mints; B) none found in circulated rolls from the bank; and C) these coins selling on ebay in uncirculated rolls for about $1.50/coin.

My questions/thoughts on this are below:

The mint reports the reason for the low mintage was it was a very poor year economically and the American people cashed in a lot of coins being saved, so less were needed in circulation. I think they didn't want to lose money by coining them.

How did these folks on ebay get (all of them?) so many?.

And, is it worth the premium to purchase some now, or better to wait, or never?

That these coins are being seriously horded and bringing some serious profit to the sellers is obivious. However, wouldn't this also be an ideal time for the govt to debase them, thus making '09 the last year of the last "real" American coin? I understand the 1955s were low in mintage (around 8 million) and horded keeping the premiums low to date, but still a key date to own.

Replys requested. Thanks in advance. JB

First things first...FED is differnt from the MINT not related...they just do "business"

The reason there are not very many 09 nickels and dimes is because the fed didnt order any from the mint. The mint has to make X amount of each denomination each year so thats why there is some. The FED normally orders more than this "minimum" number so thats why there is always a lot of coins made.

Why can you find them on ebay? Well the FED ended up needing a small number of coins for the USA and the USA territories. MOST of the Nickels on ebay are from PR. Dunbar in Miami,FL also got some in. Other than that I know of no nickels in circulation. As for the dimes there was some in southern Cali and some someplace on the east coast, but I am not sure where.

Should you buy now?? NO!!!

My "sources" tell me that the Mint (at least Denver) has a LOT of dimes and nickels just sitting there waiting to be relased. Once the FED orders coin for 2010 these 09's will get relased first because they have to follow FIFO (first in first out)

Yes, 09 dimes, nickels, and pennies are being hoarded like crazy! Low mintages compared to recent years, but not low mintages compared to way back when. So my thoughts are that they never will be worth a lot like some of the key date coins.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  14:55:05  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
To add to what HR said, when these 09's get dumped into circulation in 2010, the BU's that people paid a lot of money for this year will quickly drop in value.

It will be the same as all the 09 cents that were bought up the first few days they were released. People paid north of $200 for a box that is worth less than half of that today.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:34:41  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
Read this article.

You must be logged in to see this link.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 01/13/2010 16:35:02
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:56:13  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Do you think down the road these will have value? I found one 2009 nickel in a roll last year.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  17:25:21  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
How many were minted? If low numbers they could be worth something!
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  18:26:56  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
The chart in the article indicates that a fewer than 40,000,000 were minted at both Philadelphia and Denver. These mintages are about equal to the 1957 Philadelphia nickel.

If enough are saved in mint state, I doubt they will command much of a premium. I do believe that speculators have obtained most of them, and that is why they are not being found in circulation.

A total of 2,360,030 1950-D nickels were minted, and most were saved in mint state. Because of that, the value of the 1950-D has not changed much in the last 50 years!

Personally, I would not pay more than $.50 for one.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 01/13/2010 18:50:34
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  02:07:10  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I hope I get me a couple rolls when they finally get dumped!!! I'll gladly hoard back 5 or 10 BU nickel rolls.

Dime rolls I'll check the market to see if I can turn a quick profit.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  21:36:00  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I just picked up $200 in nicks today so hopefully I'll find one. I do agree these aren't going to ever be worth much.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  14:26:38  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Thank you all so much for your posts. Highroller, your information was exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea the Fed was holding back their distribution nor that of those released, most were sent to PR. Copperhead57, great article. Appreciate the reference.

Again, thanks everyone for your input. I am very satisified for joining the forum and greatly appreciate the information shared everywhere. Talk about getting you questions answered, I have nothing but praise.

Also, given the information posted I now have no interest in collecting the '09s. However, how would you feel about collecting them if it turns out the nickle is debased in 2010 and '09 is the last year they are made with current base metal?

Your comments/thoughts and ideas requested.

BTW-have gone through about 1,000 so far, the first roll had a '39 and also came across 2 war nickles but no 2009s. Will give a final tally when I finish all 4,000.

Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  16:10:18  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
4,000 nickles: zero (0) 2009's; one (1) 1928 Buff; three (3) 1939's; and three (3) war nickles.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  22:18:10  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
^^^^^ ugh man that seems like alot of work for an extra $4 or so. I still havent sorted the $200 I bought last week

Go to Top of Page

Fatboy
Penny Sorter Member

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:27:05  Show Profile Send Fatboy a Private Message
I was at the bank yesterday to get a box of nickles and it was busier than normal. The teller asked if it would be Ok to take loose rolls in a cloth bank bag and not a box because he didn't have a box at his station nor did any of the other tellers on the line. Being the nice guy I am and seeing the line grow behind me and knowing it would take them a few minutes to get a box from the coin safe, I said sure. As he was dumping the trays of nickles into the bag, I saw the mint paper rolls fall in and got pretty excited. When I got outside, I dug into the bag to find not 2009 rolls but 2005 Westward Journey Mint rolls. Is there any extra worth here or should I just put them in the stack with the rest? I searched the site for "2005 Westward Journey Nickel" and got 0 replies. Sorry to stuff this is this topic but thanks in advance.

Edited by - Fatboy on 02/09/2010 09:31:06
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  10:09:14  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy

I was at the bank yesterday to get a box of nickles and it was busier than normal. The teller asked if it would be Ok to take loose rolls in a cloth bank bag and not a box because he didn't have a box at his station nor did any of the other tellers on the line. Being the nice guy I am and seeing the line grow behind me and knowing it would take them a few minutes to get a box from the coin safe, I said sure. As he was dumping the trays of nickles into the bag, I saw the mint paper rolls fall in and got pretty excited. When I got outside, I dug into the bag to find not 2009 rolls but 2005 Westward Journey Mint rolls. Is there any extra worth here or should I just put them in the stack with the rest? I searched the site for "2005 Westward Journey Nickel" and got 0 replies. Sorry to stuff this is this topic but thanks in advance.

Worth $2.25 a roll IF you can even get that. The first one (peace nickels) are the only ones that have held any value.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Fatboy
Penny Sorter Member

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  11:00:58  Show Profile Send Fatboy a Private Message
Thanks Adam, In the pile they go!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked