Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Is sorting nickels worth it compared to pennies?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

country_bumpkin
Penny Sorter Member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  14:16:32  Show Profile Send country_bumpkin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kirkland

You can tell that 1964 is the last year of the collector nickels because the mint mark is on the reverse up until 1965, when it goes onto the obverse.

Be sure to check for the "5" in 1965 dated nickels.

1964 nickels have a "4" This is another good way to tell.

“He who goes a-borrowing, goes a-sorrowing.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - country_bumpkin on 01/22/2010 14:18:16
Go to Top of Page

mooski
Penny Sorter Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  06:37:19  Show Profile Send mooski a Private Message
There really IS a market for pre-64 nickels?

What kind of quantity are we talking about?

I just buy the nickels, and stick the box out in the garage - never knew there was a chance at having more than $100 in a box...

Sorting and hoarding in Seattle, WA
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:44:23  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
One thing i've noticed happening to me as i sort, is you really need to be aware of your own financial limitations. We'd all want to sort 20 half boxes and 100 penny boxes and 10 nickel boxes (example) a week if we could. I think i'm not the only one here that may order more then is reasonable on a given week.

for me the limiting factors rank in this order highest to low end issues:

1.) return locations
2-3.) funds / time (about a draw here)
4.) pick-up locations

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:29:46  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I use to not be a believer in sorting nickels; however, since I started last fall, I've had a lot of success finding World War II silver nickels, buffalo head nickels, and pre-1960 nickels. Ive found 3 proofs and 2 V nickels also. Also, find foreign coins.

I think it is easier to find older Jefferson nickels since the design is the same on the reverse and you would have to look at the date to catch it. Last night, I found a 1938D and a 1939 in the same customer roll. Its easier for someone to catch a wheat penny because of the design change so that is why I usually see less of those in rolls that someone turned in.

I have to admit I am a little behind on my penny sorting but I still order the boxes and have them on hand. If there were only two of me, I would be doing great :-)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  15:24:40  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I say do half and half; makes it more interesting :-)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

bankmining
Penny Pincher Member

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:29:32  Show Profile Send bankmining a Private Message
For the most part I'm a half searcher with a little copper sorting, but I sometimes sort nickels. There's no way it can compete with copper sorting for future economic gain, but it's a break for me because there are so many fun things to find: buffs, wars, 50ds, Vs, Canadian .999s, foreigns.
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  20:12:39  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I have decided that it is probably not worth it if it was not fun. I could not get my half dollars this week and decided to get some dimes and nickels instead. I made sure to buy CWR only. I ended up with $66 in Nickels.
Short -1 -1 -2
long +2 +3 +6 +1

Finds:
1 39
2 war 42, 44
5 non war 40's
7 50-59
13 60-63
5 99.9% NI Canadian including a 38
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  13:18:16  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
"heartlandamerica.com" has the complete Buffalo Nickels collection in a album from 1919-1938 (17 coins) for $99.99....you can read the dates in the coins.

They also sell my favorite generator for $129.00, it is a 1,000 watts two strokes (mix oil and gas).....I bought three of them and one fill is good for eight hours.......it will power my sattelite, small tv, lap top and eight 15 w light bulbs (60 w per bulb) to light up my whole house.

I would be using my 5,000 w for one hour a day for the freezers and frig.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:56:23  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:

There is a market for pre-1964 nickels at every coin store I've been. They treat them like a pre-1960 nickel, because they're the same coin. You can tell that 1964 is the last year of the collector nickels because the mint mark is on the reverse up until 1965, when it goes onto the obverse.

I know I am still very knew to this hobby and am learning new things daily. However, my Red Book says that: The mintmark position was moved to the obverse starting in 1968.

Just to clarify this information for those of you that might not have a Red Book or a Blue Book handy.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:04:54  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Is sorting nickels worth it compared to pennies?

I truly enjoy sorting pennies, but nickels are definitely right up there neck and neck for sorting favorites.

Now, to answer your question if sorting the nickels is worth it compared to pennies. I'll definitely let everyone know if/when I learn more about the error nickel I just found and when I find out what it might be worth. It is a Canadian nickel, 1982, that is the thickness/thinness of a dime and weighs just slightly more than half of what it should weigh.

If it turns out to be a really valuable coin, then the answer is definitely yes, it is worth it to sort nickels from a monetary standpoint. From the standpoint of a fun hobby, sorting any coinage is definitely worth it to see what sort of treasure one might find.

Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:12:13  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
1968? That isn't accurate. The 1965 and after ones have the mint mark on the obverse.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:25:55  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Gosh.. I need those 1965, 66, & 67 d and s mintmarked nickels for my collection then. Anybody got any they might like to trade for 1 ton of copper?

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:46:26  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:

1968? That isn't accurate. The 1965 and after ones have the mint mark on the obverse.

In fact, the United States Mint did not officially produce any coins with a mintmark during the years 1965, 1966, 1967.

The information above and below was found at this web site:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Mint Marks Return In 1968

In 1968, Congress acted to restore mint marks to coins.

Now, though, all mint marks would be located on the obverse. Most coins minted before 1968 have mint marks located somewhere on the reverse.

Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:53:02  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Gosh.. I need those 1965, 66, & 67 d and s mintmarked nickels for my collection then. Anybody got any they might like to trade for 1 ton of copper?

LOL, that was a good one.

Do you mind if the mint mark is added with a sharpie? 45 cent for a ton of copper sounds like a good deal to me

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:56:52  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I figured you were going to mule it like those magician coins.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2