Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 silver art bar new collector
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  07:47:05  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi there i'm from the uk and have just bought my first silver art bar-1oz buffalo bar and i'm really pleased with it an would like to start collecting partly for the interest/collectability of them and partly as i kind of alternative to a pension scheme(ok i may well be mad
but hey thats my problem)i was hoping that some of you more experienced collectors could give me some information as i dont really know anything yet.i've figured out a few names of mints northwest territorial,sunshine,yonkers etc but are there any price guides,issue listings,e-books or anything like that knocking about as i'd really like
to become a bit more metal savvy or i'll just get stung many thanks if you take the time for helping.ps who is the buffalo bar minted by?

kind regards dave

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  14:51:27  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I don't know much about art bars, but I will say that I think the majority of them never increase in value much above the silver spot price. Some of them seem to get a collector premium, but I sure wouldn't want to bank on collector premiums staying the same or increasing.

Given the above uncertainies, I prefer easily recognized and accepted forms of silver bullion that trade for consistent and predictable premiums over spot. This of course can and does vary depending on what country you live in. For example, a U.S. silver eagle is the most recognized and accepted silver bullion in the US, but is a bit harder to sell in Canada.

If you decide to stick to art bars, I get a wide variety of any that sell close to spot silver prices. Then if you get lucky some of them might turn into collectables.

"but are there any price guides?"

I would research past E-Bay auctions to find current prices.

Edited by - horgad on 06/18/2007 15:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  17:04:09  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I tend to agree with horgad. If you enjoy collecting art bars then do so for the sake of your enjoyment. But I don't consider them to be worth more than their silver value. Of course given a choice between an art bar and a beat-up generic bar I would take the art bar if the price was the same.

A word of caution. Some art bars are sterling and not .999 fine silver.

Fanaticism is doubling one's efforts, yet forgetting one's purpose.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  17:37:54  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Welcome to the forum Harbinger.

Art bars of silver, or if you can afford them, gold, should be looked upon as a way of buying precious metals in a more attractive form than just a plain cast silver or gold bar.

If you buy them for their beauty and for your own enjoyment, try to get them for as close to spot as possible.

One word of advice, here in the states many years ago the Franklin Mint used to sell art bars of silver and gold for much more than their melt values. A television news program broke the story about how the buyers of these art bars paid two to four times the melt price and how precious metals buyers would pay only the spot price for the bars.

Collectability of art bars is tricky, since for coins there are books and websites available. Art bar collectability depends on what the buyer is willing to pay, which might not be more than the spot price of silver.

I don't want to discourage you, I and everyone on the forum want you to get the most silver for the least price.

Good luck on your metal buying fun, and remember,
there are no foolish questions, because the answers we get keep us all from feeling and looking like fools (especially me, an occasional fool.)

I should have chosen "Cut-n-Paste" as a forum name, since that is what I do, mostly.
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  17:37:14  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message

I have found that the very best place to get art bars is at your local coin dealers, but shop around.

If you walk in and see what you like buy a few, and come back when different people are working.

I have found that if they sell a few here and there that you will find the price at or just over spot silver, but if you buy several they will raise the price sometimes 40-50% before you get back.

I have found good deals on Silver Dollar Bars, in the US they make a 4 ounce silver art bar that looks just like a real paper bill. If you buy it from the manufacture the cost is about USD 170, but in the coin stores I have found them for 20% over spot.

I know the laws in the UK prevent even a similar copy of money, but I have a $100 4 ounce bar I really enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  10:37:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Art Bars are a fun way to hold silver. After buying junk silver bags and bars, that are all more or less the same.It is fun to look for different bars. Some bring a lot more than spot.E bay is a good place to see what prices bars bring.The last Price Guide was published in 1991.AN INDEXED GUIDE BOOK OF SILVER ART BARS.
The book sold for $29.95 when it was published,and I have seen them sell for over $200.00 on E bay.It lists over 6000 different bars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2