Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 USA Numismatics (Coin Collecting)
 Green Copper Corrosion
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  03:00:04  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Does anyone know how to remove green corrosion from copper coins. We're baffled. Thanks.

davidrmj

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  09:33:33  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
Here are a few links you could try.

You must be logged in to see this link.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Country on 05/26/2009 09:34:48
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  20:43:50  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
Theres a chemical called Verdigone that is suppose to work wonders on copper cents. I belive coinhunter has used it.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  21:38:01  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
Yep Verdigone seems to get alot of good reviews. I believe Bad_Thad has registered over here as a user so try hitting him up on email or PM him.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  23:05:27  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
i sent thad an email

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  23:07:39  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
Has anyone here tried the stuff before? I am thinking about getting a bottle of it.

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  23:16:15  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I have not tried it but they say it is good! One day i am going to break down and buy some

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  23:17:25  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I definitely should do it. I have some IHC's and Wheats that could use a little TLC.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  06:13:29  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Why are you guys cleaning your coins, especially the Indians and wheats?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:10:25  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
deal i think this stuff cleans it without damaging the coin. In my understanding it will do the same thing acetone will do to a coin which is nothing to hurt it. but thad would be best to talk to about it

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:25:41  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
It's not a cleaning agent actually. It's a copper conservation fluid. Basically when you get the green stuff, it's verdigris and is ongoing corrosion of the coin. The Verdigone is designed to stop and eliminate the verdigris, and keep it from corroding further. That's how I understand it from reading a little about it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  15:48:49  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hello all and thanks for the interest and kind comments about VERDI-GONE™. The product works best on light to moderate verdigris. It's not very effective with thick, heavy verdigris. Coins with heavy verdigris have usually been damaged by deep removal of atomic state copper from the surface (pitting).

As mentioned, VERDI-GONE™ is a conservation fluid, not a cleaner. It is designed to not strip the patina from a brown coin. It is designed to ONLY react with and remove verdigris.

VERDI-GONE™ can be ordered through the website:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me or post here.

Thanks

Hardcore Lincoln Collector and Copper Hoarder!
Go to Top of Page

2cents
Penny Sorter Member

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  11:01:19  Show Profile Send 2cents a Private Message
Does a vinegar bath stop the corrosion process on copper pennies or does it just remove visible corrosion?

2cents
Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  12:54:37  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
Vinegar is an acid. Acids destroy metal... Acids depending on strength will remove metal a little at a time or a lot at a time.

Pennies in vinegar will turn a strange copper red color... Try it on some non numis ones and you will see.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  23:12:48  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Vinegar is not really acid, it is "acidic" by virtue of it's acetic acid content. It will certainly remove verdigris, but very harshly destroying the patina in the process. Also, free acetate radicals in the solution can actually contribute to the additional formation of verdigris in the form of cupric acetate.

You can use just about any acid to remove verdigris, but at the of expense coin's patina, it will be destroyed. Another popular one is muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). Some people even choose olive oil, it contains organic acids. However, the ion mobility is so slow in oil, olive oil takes FOREVER to work. All of these weakness are what led me to develop VERDI-GONE™....I made it for myself. The only reason I commercialized it was collector demand. I had tons and tons of requests to buy it....so here we are today.

Hardcore Lincoln Collector and Copper Hoarder!
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  23:46:31  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadThad

Vinegar is not really acid, it is "acidic" by virtue of it's acetic acid content. It will certainly remove verdigris, but very harshly destroying the patina in the process. Also, free acetate radicals in the solution can actually contribute to the additional formation of verdigris in the form of cupric acetate.

You can use just about any acid to remove verdigris, but at the of expense coin's patina, it will be destroyed. Another popular one is muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). Some people even choose olive oil, it contains organic acids. However, the ion mobility is so slow in oil, olive oil takes FOREVER to work. All of these weakness are what led me to develop VERDI-GONE™....I made it for myself. The only reason I commercialized it was collector demand. I had tons and tons of requests to buy it....so here we are today.

Watch what you say around badthad....he is a chemist

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  08:44:54  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
quote:
Does anyone know how to remove green corrosion from copper coins. We're baffled. Thanks.

davidrmj

You never mentioned the date, mint mark or condition of the coin(s). If not a valuable coin it may well not be worth your time and expense to even try to remove dirt, corrosion or other contaminates. If you just want to try on a non valuable coin, just stick to stuff around the house already such as Lemon Juice, Tamato paste, baking soda and water solution, etc. Fun to experiment and if NOT a valuable coin, not much to loose except your time. If the coin is or could be valuable, may do more damage to the coin ruining what value it may, could have.
Many run out and purchase flamable, dangerous, chemicals to clean valuless coins and then have those dangerous chemicals just laying around waiting for an accident.

Carl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2