Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 U.S.Mint might change metal content of U.S. coins?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  02:39:19  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
The following was copied from survivalblog.com:

Warren M. wrote to mention that in their 2010 planning document, the US Mint is now considering a new, less expensive composition for the US Nickel. (The five-cent piece.) The Mint document states: "...the unit costs to manufacture the one-cent coin (penny) and 5-cent coin (nickel) are more than their face value for the third consecutive fiscal year. Changing the composition of all circulating coins to less expensive materials would ultimately result in significant taxpayer savings without compromising the utility of these coins. Accordingly, the United States Mint plans to work with the Department of the Treasury and the Congress to examine alternatives to mitigate the effect current metal prices are having on circulating coinage..." Just as I warned, the window of opportunity for amassing the current composition nickels may soon close. Fill a ammo can or two with nickels now, while you can still get 75% copper / 25% nickel five-cent pieces at face value! Gee, if they made all the coins out of steel, they'll be handy to beat into arrowheads, after Helicopter Ben totally collapses the economy.

Here is a direct link to the U.S. Mint planning document.
You must be logged in to see this link.

I've always known that this would happen, but actually seeing it in writing is disquieting. Although I can't find the link, I've also read that the U.S. Mint has ceased production of the 2009 nickel. Therefore it is possible that we have seen the last of the CuNI nickels coming out of the U.S. Mint. Perhaps a moment of silence is in order.

Edited by - theo on 05/09/2009 02:40:24

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  03:16:12  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Very interesting indeed. Seems like there will be time to capture CuNi coins. In Canada we can still find pre-81 pure Ni nickels and CuNi for example even though RCM went to Steel in 2000.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Dalsuh
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:03:40  Show Profile Send Dalsuh a Private Message
Any tips on acquiring the 2009 nickels? Should I just ask my bank?

PACK THE FORUM EVERY MONDAY NIGHT
Eastern 9 PM
Central 8 PM ( Forum Time )
Mountain 7 PM
Pacific 6 PM ( HoardCopperByTheTon Time)

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:10:59  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
WOW thanks for sharing this!!!

You must be logged in to see this link. Link to read everything else about the treasury

If this happends..WOW

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:11:42  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalsuh

Whenever I'm in a bank, I ask the teller if they have any 2009 coins. I've had no luck with the 2009 nickels or dimes.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:16:04  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Country

quote:
Originally posted by Dalsuh

Whenever I'm in a bank, I ask the teller if they have any 2009 coins. I've had no luck with the 2009 nickels or dimes.

Ive tried to the 2 biggest cities in Iowa and the biggest city in SD and havent found any! I have found pennies but no nickels or dimes.

Yes, just go into the bank or call them and ask them if they have any 09 pennies, nickels, or dimes.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:20:51  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
I also ask for the 2009 Territorial quarters.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:30:26  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I read a 2009 dime was found in a webster bank in MA.

I saw my first loose log and formative today in Wilmington.
Tellers had found one of each and were keeping them.
Have not seen a dime or nickel at all.

As far as hoarding nickels, The old ones won't disappear fast until they get to be 2x or 3x face (IMHO)

Edited by - fb101 on 06/17/2009 18:32:20
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  18:33:44  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

As far as hoarding nickels, The old ones won't disappear fast until they get to be 2x or 3x face (IMHO)

09 dimes are going for $70 a roll on ebay. Seller locations are in Mass, Texas, and Cali

09 nickels are going for $50 EACH on ebay!!! Only seller location is in Cali.

But back to the original topic!

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  19:05:06  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
2 - 09 Lincoln Log cabins found here in Indianapolis yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  19:18:50  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by highroller4321

quote:
Originally posted by fb101

09 dimes are going for $70 a roll on ebay. Seller locations are in Mass, Texas, and Cali

09 nickels are going for $50 EACH on ebay!!! Only seller location is in Cali.

But back to the original topic!

Haha, Is that Hoard?

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2009 :  21:16:05  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
BUt, right now we don't have to work a lick to get the 75/25 nickels. After they start shiping out steel ones you'll have to SORT the nickels. Right now, just go into a bank and order a box or two of nickels and *wha lah* a solid 75/25 brick right there for you!!

And it is funny that they say that this change in composition will save tax payers money. THat would only be true if they were following rules and acting fiscally responsibly right now. They aren't so it is all just funny money anyway!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  09:59:16  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Buy U.S. nickels now or sort later....

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  10:26:01  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
But aren't current US nickels worth less than 5cents in melt value? Are people even hoarding these yet? I thought it was just the older us and canadians that people searched for.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  10:27:55  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
theo i think the minting resumed for the nickels, but no mintage figure has showed up on how many more they minted

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

coppernickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  10:44:58  Show Profile Send coppernickel a Private Message
The intrinsic value of the nickels is worth 90% plus of the face value. The manufacture cost is greater than face value.

The FED and government are printing cash like it is going out of style.

It is clear this can't continue on much longer.

Now is the time to collect nickels. It is mostinteresting to me that nickels are mostly copper, but we call them nickel.

Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  10:31:06  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
I addition to us having to sort for CuNI nickels after the composition change, banks may limit or completely deny the sale of coins to non-business customers. I also believe that there will come a time when what we are doing is mocked and villified in the mainstream media. Therefore I think its best to accumulate nickels and pennies while we are still under the radar. I'd guess we have a year or two at most.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  11:11:39  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coppernickel

The intrinsic value of the nickels is worth 90% plus of the face value. The manufacture cost is greater than face value.

Now is the time to collect nickels. It is mostinteresting to me that nickels are mostly copper, but we call them nickel.

I always read your posts with the voice of Morpheus. Nothing to add, other than that it's awesome.
Go to Top of Page

2old
Penny Pincher Member

188 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  09:38:56  Show Profile Send 2old a Private Message
I agree with hoarding nickles. Get a pallet and start stacking. May want to consider putting each box in some sort of plastic. They may sit a long time. Mine will be vacuum packed. Brinks boxes of pennies fit perfect into food saver 8" bags. Buy the rolls 4 mill bags on eBay cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  13:36:08  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
why do you seal them - what happens if they get moist?

if you are going to do a lot of vacuum sealing, get a snorkel sealer from sorbent systems. it uses generic bags so you'll save a fortune.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

2old
Penny Pincher Member

188 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  14:31:43  Show Profile Send 2old a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

why do you seal them - what happens if they get moist?

if you are going to do a lot of vacuum sealing, get a snorkel sealer from sorbent systems. it uses generic bags so you'll save a fortune.

Why do I seal them? What I am sealing is the new Zincolns, 2009 series. I am putting them in foodsaver 8" bags and vacuum packing them. They will not get any moisture in, nor air. I have no intention of selling these in the foreseeable future, if ever. May let the kiddies sell them, or keep them. The intent is to keep air out and therefore reduce tarnishing. Keepem really RED. A Foodsaver is inexpensive and it also uses generic bags. I had not heard of sorent, but will look into it. I think a box of nickles could be sealed up too, but I have not got that far, will let you know later when I have my new box of 2009's for $100.00.
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  21:03:59  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
If or when they change the content of nickel that would mean that my (around) $12,000 in nickels would be worth at least $36,000 hehehehehheehhehehehe........I wonder about the rest of my coins.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  18:04:48  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
PS: yesterday I ordered another 50 bricks of nickels......better be safe than sorry.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  11:46:34  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coppernickel

Applying the term "nickel" to a coin precedes the usage of five-cent pieces made from nickel alloy. The term was originally applied to the Indian Head cent coin from 1859–1864 which was composed of copper-nickel. Throughout the Civil War these cents were referred to as "nickels" or "nicks". When the three-cent nickel came onto the scene in 1865, these were the new "nickels" to the common person on the street. In 1866, the Shield nickel hit the spotlight and forever changed the way Americans associated coins made from nickel alloy with a particular denomination. From wikipedia.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:08:05  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Beau, thanks for covering that point. I was just about to make it!!

I really like 3 cent nickels! The composition of nickel was untested and many a die was broken by malconfigured equipment. You can see the many die cracks in the 3 cent nickels present out there.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  14:49:49  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Ponce: You bought 50 additional bricks to your (around) $12,000 in nickles???

"As you are, so I aspire to be!"

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2