Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Non Hoarders thoughts on Us
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:22:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
In our little group here we all seem like sane, forward thinking folks engaging in a harmless side activity.

In our other world, what do your friends,family, and co-workers think of our preocupation with hoarding ?

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:34:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BonPecheur

In our little group here we all seem like sane, forward thinking folks engaging in a harmless side activity.

In our other world, what do your friends,family, and co-workers think of our preocupation with hoarding ?

Sane? You have not been here long have you?

Only my wife knows just how much I hoard. Like I posted the other day, she is very supportive of my hoarding even though I could buy her one hell of a diamond with the money. My older brother is the only one who knows I hoard but not how much. It's more of a joke between us. I'm sure he is hoarding something but I don't think it has anything to do with coinage.

My advice is don't tell anyone more than you have too.

For good times to come or bad times to come, now is the time to save your copper or nickel coins.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:43:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I said "seem" like sane
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:48:49  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
They think that I am nuts when I tell. Then I tell them the story about how gas used to cost a quarter a gallon and how you can still buy gas for a quarter a gallon(you just have to use the same silver quarter). They still think I am nuts.

This I take as good sign because I figured out a long time ago that if you want to be wealthy you better be doing something different than the masses. The majority can never be wealthy. Wealth is relative and a wealthy majority is an oxymoron. That is not to say that doing something different guarentees that you will get rich, but rather that not doing something different almost guarentees that you will never be rich (pure luck would be the exception).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:00:15  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
People I have discusses this with don't think I'm crazy, they think I'm greedy.

I try to rationalize hoarding things like canned goods, water purification, candles, propane cannisters, etc. etc. etc. as protection for not only myself and my family but also for my neighbors and friends.
When I tell my wife that we could feed lots of people for a short time
OR
feed a few people for a long time,
she says,
"yeah, but you can't feed lots of people for a long time."
Of course that's true, but I'm doing something, and they aren't.

As to coinage.
I've thought an aweful lot about community currrencies and Local Exchange Trade Systems.
You must be logged in to see this link.

What I've learned is that they only succeed long term if they are "anchored" by a bank or a big grocery store or something big.

If the dollar were to tank, I would spend my coins into the local community and hope that they stayed local.
The trick would be to be greedy enough but not too greedy while doing so.

If I gave away coins, I would become a target and a sucker. The people getting them would not appreciate them either.
If I demanded too much for them, I would feel guilty and those getting them would feel ripped off.

When I go to the local gold and silver coin shop, I notice that their are other people there buying and selling.
The mere fact that there is one of these shops in every city of more than say 30,000 population, tells me that there are lots of people out there who have coins.

I've decide that instead of creating a LETS, I will just encourage people to use and appreciate coins.
For my efforts, I get labled crazy and even greedy.

oh well, life is tough...

..................................................................................................

28 times 13 = 364

We cannot divide the 365.25 days of a year into eqwal parts.
We never have and never will.

We cannot even divide the 365 whole days or integer days into eqwal parts.
But we could have a year that is 364 days long.

I propose that we use a calendar made up of 13 months of 28 days each.
Then every five years we have a five day long party or holiday
that would serve the function that leap days now serve every four years.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  13:32:10  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
People think I'm crazy until I explain how I can turn $250 canadian into $1000 US by just going to the bank a few times. Then they remember that I'm a genius and they aren't.

HoardCode0.1: M28/5CAON:CA5Ni35000:CA1Cu1200:CA100Ag345:
CA10Ag250:CA50Ag100:CA25Ag30:CA500Ag48:US100Ag20:CA1000Ag16

How to read a HoardCode:

Edited by - Canadian_Nickle on 04/10/2007 13:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Frugi
Administrator

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  21:07:41  Show Profile Send Frugi a Private Message
I had to work the other day with one of my co-workers. When I got to work he was complaing of severe headaches and an inability to do any work at all, he proceeded to call our corporate office and was complaining of his sickness. After he was allowed to leave I was looking at his IM with his "girlfriend" & she had asked him earlier if was going to be able to get out of working until close, he replied "Yeah, it will be no sweat, the penny hoarder is coming in tonight."

He referred to me as the penny hoarder like it was a bad thing. He actually made me feel somewhat embarrassed, but also proud of myself because I have never had a real nickname. I kind of like it even if he doesn't say it to my face.

Real Eyes Realize Real Lies

Buy Less. Work Less. Live More.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  21:42:44  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Did you copy the IM logs & forward to yr boss?

Get his non-hoarding-ass fired & laugh all the way to the bank with your big bonus cheque this christmas while he's scrounging uneaten turkey from the dumpter behind some greasy spoon.

Successful workplace politics requires a through reading of Machiaveli;

[link]You must be logged in to see this link.[/link]

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:15:26  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
I called one of my banks today to order $600 face in nickels. The clerk asked me what I was doiing with all the coins, and I told him that I sort through them for key dates. He said "Wow - you must have a really boring life."

Wanker. If only he knew.

How to read a HoardCode:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05