Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Is hand-sorting worth it?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  11:41:29  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I am still in high school, and just recently found these forums. I've noticed that most people on here have a Ryedale device, but I don't. Yet. Is sorting by hand worth it? Thanks.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  11:58:06  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
When it is all you can do it works. Most started out doing it. The Ryedale just increases productivity. Best part of hand sorting is that it is free! Of course with you being in high school I can see money being an issue. Crawl before you walk....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  12:02:44  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
YES, sorting by hand is worth it.

I sort by hand for several reasons:

First, I get to feel each coin as I look at it and I have gotten so I can feel the difference between the 2.7 gram zincs and 3.1 gram coppers. Sometimes I do find an old or rare coin, well a couple of rolls of wheat cents, but no Indians. I have found a silver dime and sixpence.

Second, I don’t have the time or money to sort and save large amounts of coins. Some on this list have literal tons of coins. I have surpassed my first $100. That is a hundred dollars well spent, and if I need it I can still use it.

Third, in my area there are a limited number of banks. I have chosen one to be my pick up bank and one with a counter to be a drop off bank. If I get or drop off $50 in cents they get unhappy, but if I do $10 every few days the same people don’t appear to notice. I have a Planters peanut bottle I fill with the ones to take back.

Fourth, I am hoping to stay under the radar, and people not to notice what I am doing. I find a few rare coins or coins in good shape, and if they ask I tell them I am a coin collector looking for some old dates. It is true, just any date before 1982.

Fifth, it gets my hands dirty and it relieves stress. I work on a computer and sit at a desk all day. When I have time I can be constructive and do something that matters.

Is hand sorting worth it? To me it is. It is the best way to start. Then after a while a machine might be worth it.

ENJOY.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  13:17:24  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

When it is all you can do it works. Most started out doing it. The Ryedale just increases productivity. Best part of hand sorting is that it is free! Of course with you being in high school I can see money being an issue. Crawl before you walk....

Deal

I totaly agree with what deal said

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

130 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  13:48:42  Show Profile Send dp2007 a Private Message
It depends on what you mean by worth it. If you are looking for a way to make spending money this is NOT the way yo go. Coin roll Searching should be done only for the enjoyment of the hobby. If you love coins this is a good way to be hands on so to speak. At the high school level there are so many experiences to be had I don't know if taking hours to search rolls of coins is really the way to go but to each his own.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  14:13:29  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
If I didn't hand sort I'd probably not have my 1909 VDB or any of my small date '60's, not to mention my wide AM's.
Still waiting for that Feathered Liberty to show up, though...

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  14:23:38  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
quote:
At the high school level there are so many experiences to be had I don't know if taking hours to search rolls of coins is really the way to go but to each his own.

I'm sure there are better things to do, but if there are, I haven't found them. Also, without this hobby, I wouldn't have been able to grace you all with my presence. Ha.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  14:41:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I just got done hand sorting $150 of pennies. The boxes were heavy (from 16.25-16.75 pounds each), but dispite the dirty fingers I found it fun and relaxing. Finding a wild indian in my first box was a motivator, but the 1917 wheat cent & "cross penny" was nice too. The hours spend on the couch sorting with the company of my wife and dog was real family time. I really believe that everyone should have at least $100 in copper pennies. It doesn't take all that much to obtain that hand sorting.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  14:46:07  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
If all you are looking for is "copper" you can easily go through a roll in 30 seconds.

The key answer to the question is: Do you enjoy it?

If so then it is definitely worth it!
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  15:24:58  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
as a release for ocd , as a way of having something to do , besides internet and reading. i did close to 500k this , half of a year .
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  19:24:09  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
I'll chime in with my two cents' worth. I greatly enjoy hand sorting/searching rolls of pennies and other coins. I haven't found an IH yet in the wild but I keep hoping. I have found quite a few wheat cents, especially in the two rolls I did on Christmas and the day after and that is always thrilling for me!!! Just finding a roll that I haven't been shorted on puts a smile on my face. I've been fortunate enough to find a few error coins including some wide AMs. And, as some of the others have said, it is relaxing and fun to sit quietly sorting through the coins--full of hope and expectations as to what treasure you might discover.

I hope you enjoy the experience and the friendships found here.
Go to Top of Page

kieblera5
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
859 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  19:53:15  Show Profile  Send kieblera5 an AOL message Send kieblera5 a Private Message
Gotta start somewhere... I still hand-sort too.

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you mercilessly with experience.

Caller number seven gets the Peace Prize!

Get coding tips, tricks, and more at: http://codingmonday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  20:14:04  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I'm not knocking those who machine sort. I admire their efforts to take advantage of this copper coin opportunity on a large scale. But the hand sorters are still the back bone of realcent. All it takes is a pile of pennies, patience and good eyesight to turn fiat into hard currency and maybe a few surprises. Sometimes new members get so carried aways with their desire to sort that they never get started at all. They figure that they have to have a Ryedale before they can get started. So they wait and maybe never do. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of hand sorters here who could test the strength of the best of us with their hoards of copper cents.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  20:28:21  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
If you can spare over $200 a month to stash in copper and want to stash it fast, hand sorting is not the way to go. The Ryedale is good for that. If you want to put away $25 to $100 a month and can afford it, the Ryedale (with all due respect & homage ) is not the way to go. It can manage that in an hour or two.
I thought hard about it and decided I like hand sorting better. It the only thing that keeps my brain functioning while sitting in front of the "idiot box" as my father used to call it.

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  21:33:42  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I like hand sorting. I have no desire to do copper sorting on a larger scale, so for me its relaxing. I like putting Itunes on the computer and finding my favorite 80's metal station (Big R radio) in the background. I am able to look at each and every coin, and find the occassional error (found a couple of 1998 Wide America's and a machine doubled 1983 cent) so the thrill of the hunt is what does it for me. I just dont think a Ryedale would be a good fit for me unless I decided to buy and resell on a larger scale.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  23:17:50  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Oh Yeah,
Rub it in about the '83!!!
I'm happy for you, but if I had a penny for all the '83's I've turned over and/or bounced hoping to hear that Cu ring...
Hmmm, I guess I do have a penny for every time.
I'm still thrilled you found that '83, it gives me hope.
Which will come first, the Feathered Liberty or the doubled '83?
Hope springs eternal with the hand sorter!
PS - Try swingchicago.com as an alternative to '80's Thrash Rock you might like it for a brief change.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  00:02:10  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
i am looking at getting a ryedale... But i plan on still hand sorting the zinks for the errors... I only want the ryedale to cut down on my hand sorting... and i think it would be cool

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  00:03:46  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
just noticed i was the first to post this year maybe i should get a prize... Happy new year everyone

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

phillips24
Penny Pincher Member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  00:39:46  Show Profile Send phillips24 a Private Message
For me like others hand sorting is relaxing. I'm almost up to my 2nd full box of Cu's! I have thought about goals and what I would have to do for certain goals and it seems that if you want to stash more than $1000 in Cu for the year you should really consider the ryedale. But hand sorting and machine sorting is like comparing apples to oranges.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  00:52:19  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I used to like hand sorting. Try it. If you dont like it and dont think it's worth your time, dont do it. If you enjoy doing it and enjoy gaining "real" wealth then keep doing it.

If you like sorting and have the banks to support your hobby and the funds, then get a ryedale sometime in the future.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  02:02:59  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

just noticed i was the first to post this year maybe i should get a prize... Happy new year everyone

Someone give that man a cigar!

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  23:17:38  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
As one of the biggest hand sorters(was doing $200 a week)I found it very relaxing after a hard day of work.Could sort a $25 box in less then an hour and had fun doing it.Especially called out "wheatie" every time I found one and annoying wifey!That was a bonus!

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  07:34:18  Show Profile  Send goodcents an AOL message Send goodcents a Private Message
Yeah I know what you mean about hand sorting. It is relaxing if you have some back support..lol.

I use my ryedale which allows me to sort a whole lot more, then I have my kids help me out with any further sorting of anything like canadians, etc that I want put in another box.

It's a fun hobby no matter which way of sorting.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  12:36:02  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
After I got my Ryedale I was still tempted to scan or resort the cents because of what you could miss in the sorter.

Yes hand sorting is worth it. But you'll never get $10000 face in copper that way. But for most of us, that volume would be impossible anyway.

Thanks for the question!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  13:09:16  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolvesdad

After I got my Ryedale I was still tempted to scan or resort the cents because of what you could miss in the sorter.

Yes hand sorting is worth it. But you'll never get $10000 face in copper that way. But for most of us, that volume would be impossible anyway.

Thanks for the question!

That volume isnt out of reach. The biggest tip I can give anyone is have a way not to carry them up or down steps! I have to carry mine up a flight of steps and it's killer.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2