Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 brass?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  20:01:02  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
today I took the metal pieces from a toilet that we threw away at work. The outside handle was crome and when I cut into it with a saw it didnt turn yellowish like brass would be. Does anybody know what kind of metal this would be? All the other pieces of the toilet were brass even the pieces connecting to the handle.

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  21:37:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by davycoppit

today I took the metal pieces from a toilet that we threw away at work. The outside handle was crome and when I cut into it with a saw it didnt turn yellowish like brass would be. Does anybody know what kind of metal this would be? All the other pieces of the toilet were brass even the pieces connecting to the handle.

If it was cromed then my guess would be that it was only steel.

The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect the opinions of the flesh and blood person writing the text. All writings under the screen name "copperhead" are merely a characterization of the personna created.
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  18:30:33  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
That is what I thought but it isn't magnetic
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  19:24:12  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Check these out!

The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect the opinions of the flesh and blood person writing the text. All writings under the screen name "copperhead" are merely a characterization of the personna created.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  19:26:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

That is what I thought but it isn't magnetic

Could it be solid chrome?

Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  20:55:42  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
quote:

Was the metal silver in color? If so, perhaps it is aluminum. Aluminum is corrosion resistant, so it would be used in toilet parts. The handle never goes into the tank, so it wouldn't have to be corrosion proof.
Aluminum is still relatively cheap, so some manufacturers might be producing a toilet handle that has an aluminum handle attached to a bras rod.
I may be wrong, but it is a fair guess, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  19:15:08  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
Thanks for your guys replys. I'll do some more investigating to see what it is. It't not important that I know what it is just interesting
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:03:13  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
As already noted it probably is Aluminum. If you were able to cut it easily you should have noticed if the metal sticks to the teeth of the blade. Aluminum has a bad habit of being so soft it clogs the teeth of saw blades. However, many manufacturers combine Aluminum with other metals such as Nickel,Cromium, etc to make it a little harder. If to soft you would easily bend the handle if pulled to hard. This is obviously an older toilet though. More modern systems try not to have dissimilar metallic objects connected together.

Carl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2