Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Canadian coins
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  20:55:48  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Would someone be able to post a sticky with the years that Canadian coins should be saved as collectables? I have some relatives in Canada, and have a small amount of Canadian coins (loonies, quarters, nickels, and pennies). It would be great to know if I have something with collector value, or if I should just give them away the next time I visit.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  02:17:35  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Your wish has been granted - and it's your own thread :)

Canadian Pennies up to 1996 are made of 98% Copper.

Canadian and US Nickels are detailed here:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Save Canadian Nickels up to 1981 as they are Pure Nickel.

Dimes and Quarters up to 1966 are 80% Silver.
Dimes and Quarters from 1967 are either 80% Silver or 50% Silver
Dimes and Quarters part way through 1968 are 50% silver
Halves and Dollar Coins up to 1967 are 80% Silver

Generally anything with a King (mid 50's and earler) is likely worth a little more as a collectable then as bullion.

In the last several years, nickel and zinc got high enough for a while that these coins became worth more then face as bullion:

Pennies from 1997-1999 and some through 2006 are Zinc plated with copper
Nickels from 1982-1999 and some through 2006 are CuNi (like US Nickels are)
Dimes and Quarters from part way through 1968-1999 and part way through 2000 are Pure Nickel. Silver before-Plated Steel after
Halfs from 1968-2000 are pure Nickel
Large Voyager and Commemertive Dollars (pre Loonie) from 1968-1986 are Pure Nickel
The Mint also issued cased Silver Dollars from 1971-Current to collectors. You will never find these in circulation.

Have fun collecting Canada's interesting and diverse coinage, and enjoy the built in intrinsic value in so many of the coins.

Otherwise, circulated coins after these dates are not worth saving.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  13:19:52  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Hi and thanks legacy. Going through my stash, I found 13 98% copper pennies (oldest was a '53), 1 king (a '40), and 1 99.99% Ni quarter (a '85). Now I just need to find a way to get rid of the '06 Bahama penny I have EDIT: I found another small stash...contained 9 98% copper pennies, oldest is a '64.

Edited by - gothboi30 on 10/24/2008 13:24:40
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  21:14:59  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Legacypac -- can we distinguish between the nickel and the steel 2000 dimes and quarters by weight?

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  18:03:16  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I bet a magnet would tell you if you got a steel one.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  09:17:04  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
i believe sooomewhere on here i read that even amoung the coppers. there is a weight change. can you break that down?

is it worth makeing up rolls , as to the different changes? george, vs, young queen, midlife, and old???

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  20:57:43  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

I bet a magnet would tell you if you got a steel one.

Yes, your magnet can find the steel coins, but it also finds the nickel ones (also magnetic) CuNi is not magnetic though but it was only used in Canadian 5 cent coins from 1982-2000, and in some 2006. CuNi was never used in Canadian Dimes and Quarters.

One nearly foolproof way to find Canadian coins in a US Dime or Quarter roll is to run a magnet down the roll and feel for attraction.

I can't tell you about comparing weight on 2000 dimes and quarters as I've never tried that, but there is an easier way. If there is a P (or later a logo) below the Queen it is Plated Steel. No P or Logo, you are looking at Ni.

Canadian Pennies up to 1996 are Copper. You can break them into:

up to 1979 Heavy 98% Copper
1980-1981 Medium 98% Copper
The RCM made the coin a little thinner to cut costsm while the US Mint switched to zinc in 1982 instead to solve the same problem
1982-1996 Light 98% Copper
The RCM cut off the "sides" of the penny to further lighten it up. Those little sides don't look like much but they add up over a lot of pennies.

Coinflation.com/Canada shows the current melt value by year range.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  23:44:12  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
yeah thanks, i did a wiki search and found the weight changes. so i think the few hundred i have found out of 300k will go , pre 80 . and 80-96.
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  16:22:32  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac
1982-1996 Light 98% Copper
The RCM cut off the "sides" of the penny to further lighten it up. Those little sides don't look like much but they add up over a lot of pennies.

Minor point, I thought the sided planchets would have been created using some type of press rather than by actually cutting anything off. I think I remember reading that this was done with the sided nickels of the 50's and 60's.

I find the sided pennies make hand sorting a lot easier, I just edge sort those out first and then the older coppers are easy to find by face sorting because there is more contrast.
Go to Top of Page

Bart
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  22:08:40  Show Profile Send Bart a Private Message

Hi Everybody -

I've got to correct you about the Canadian pennies metal content. Canada, just like the USA, cheaped out in 1981. There is a slight difference in copper content between 1979 to 1980-81 but at current copper prices its not really enough to worry about. This can be seen at the "Current Melt Value Of Coin / the Coinflation.com site.

Best regards, Bart

Nice. Yes. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  22:21:22  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bart

Hi Everybody -

I've got to correct you about the Canadian pennies metal content. Canada, just like the USA, cheaped out in 1981. There is a slight difference in copper content between 1979 to 1980-81 but at current copper prices its not really enough to worry about. This can be seen at the "Current Melt Value Of Coin / the Coinflation.com site.

Best regards, Bart

Welcome to Realcent!

The prices are different because the weight of the coins is different. The actual material is the same (98% Cu), there's just less of it in those coins.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  17:12:09  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
Nate/Bart- Does this mean I should only be saving Canadian pennies up to (and including) 1981? I've been saving up to (and including) 1996....I'm a little bit confused here....
Go to Top of Page

Bart
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:21:02  Show Profile Send Bart a Private Message

Hi gothboi30 -

You should be keeping the pennies up to & including 1996 & earlier for 98% copper content. I had to go through all the Rumoli pennies a second time to get the 1982-1996 copper coins. That puts me well over 20 pounds copper! If only gold was this cheap!!

Best regards, Bart.

Nice. Yes. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  07:16:17  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
As a newbie, would I roll the pennies 1981 and prior separately from 1982-1996?
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  09:32:26  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bargar

Some people do that; you could keep the 'light' and 'heavy' coins separate. But I find that to be a lot of unnecessary work. I buy and sell based on weight, so it doesn't matter what the individual coin weight is; a pound of copper is a pound of copper

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 03/10/2009 09:34:25
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  10:00:21  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Good to know, thanks
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  13:40:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

quote:
Originally posted by bargar

Some people do that; you could keep the 'light' and 'heavy' coins separate. But I find that to be a lot of unnecessary work. I buy and sell based on weight, so it doesn't matter what the individual coin weight is; a pound of copper is a pound of copper

My Ryedale sees a copper as a copper, so some manual handling needs to be done if you want to have weight ranges. Frankly I don't think it is worth making rolls or being careful about seperating by weight of coin. The cdn copper sells better by weight anyway in the US because the buyers are not worried about spending the pennies - it is an investment.

I did seperate a bunch by weight of coin, but it is a slow boring process. I went back to dumping all the Canadian copper together. I try and sift out all the Georges and all the contaminating 95% Americans, if they are headed for sale as bullion. Sorting by weight is how I found a 1942 Newfoundland penny. It will take me years to sift out all the older and US coins - maybe my daughter can do it when she is old enough.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  17:48:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
ALL YOU NEED IS A MAGNET..THE STEEL COINS WITH STICK TO A MAGNET.DOING BY WEIGHT WOULD BE ON THE HARD SIDE.....BIGDOUG
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

Legacypac -- can we distinguish between the nickel and the steel 2000 dimes and quarters by weight?

Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  08:11:52  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
The 1968-2000 cdn dimes and quarters are made of nearly pure nickel so they are magnetic as well though. The easiest way to tell the steels is by the "P" (= plated steel) mintmark under the queen's portrait. Later this was replaced with a rcm logo mintmark.
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  10:44:30  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
I get a slight "high" when I find a Canadian cent in a roll, but that excitement quickly diminishes as I realize it is not a wheat cent, and that I just paid a penny for something worth much less.

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  00:29:35  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrbsroma

I get a slight "high" when I find a Canadian cent in a roll, but that excitement quickly diminishes as I realize it is not a wheat cent, and that I just paid a penny for something worth much less.

LOL, it's not worth that much less, and in 2007 it was worth more for a while. Don't worry, when the U.S. dollar finally tanks you'll be sitting on a fortune with that penny!
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  19:57:52  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
I just got a 1968 Canadian quarter in change today. How can I tell if it's 50% silver or .9999 nickel??
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  18:32:38  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gothboi30

I just got a 1968 Canadian quarter in change today. How can I tell if it's 50% silver or .9999 nickel??

Put a magnet on it. .999 nickel sticks like steel.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

smartinson
Penny Collector Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  12:51:42  Show Profile Send smartinson a Private Message
Need help with a 1929 Canadian Large One Penny coin. I have looked but can't find one like it. Front - GEORGIVS V DEI.BRITT.OMN.REX FID:DEF:IND:IMP: No Crown. Found one with Crown but back is different. Any one know any information about this one or where I might find the value. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  17:55:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by smartinson

Need help with a 1929 Canadian Large One Penny coin. I have looked but can't find one like it. Front - GEORGIVS V DEI.BRITT.OMN.REX FID:DEF:IND:IMP: No Crown. Found one with Crown but back is different. Any one know any information about this one or where I might find the value. Thanks.

Canada stopped making large pennies in 1919.
The only bareheaded king is George VI on coins from 1937-1952.

I'm wondering if you found a coin from someother commonwealth country?

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

smartinson
Penny Collector Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  18:00:24  Show Profile Send smartinson a Private Message
After searching, I did find that it is a British coin. I don't know alot about coin collecting and just thought it was Canadian. Not sure of the value but it was fun to find it. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2