Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 $ilver on eBay?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  15:45:00  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
Why is an ounce of silver (average 2008 ASE in BU condition) selling for $18.10 (plus $3.00 shipping) when silver spot is $12.11? This just doesn't make sense...A $9.00 premium!?

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  17:47:45  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
The seller is probably using the logic that ASEs are "better" silver than just plain bullion bars because they're ASEs. It's just a marketing ploy. I feel sorry for the people who are falling for it.

Maybe the buyers just want to make an ASE out of themselves.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Edited by - Nickelless on 09/30/2008 17:51:09
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  18:21:11  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I guess my real point is that eBay seems to have a set price for silver that stands at around $17-19 per ounce regardless of market fluctuations.
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  18:28:19  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
They must not know about APMEX, shhhhhh!! Let's keep it that way.

Actually, when you add in APMEX premium and shipping, it's nearly as high as what ASE's are pulling on Ebay.

Either way, you're not touching retail quantities anywhere near spot from any source. What I find really telling, is that there have been several auctions for 200 ASE's in the last few days, and they pulled $4200 - $4355!!! This while spot was around $13.50?

Spot is meaningless, IMHO. Possibly kept unrealistically low to dissuade people from buying by making them think they're being goughed?

I've put some of my silver in the hands of one of my brothers, and a very good friend with the caveat that it is not a gift, but only to be used WTSHTF.

Today was payday.....APMEX want $4.99 over SPOT for Eagles, hmmmm....

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  19:12:49  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by starwarsgeek171

I guess my real point is that eBay seems to have a set price for silver that stands at around $17-19 per ounce regardless of market fluctuations.

eBay doesn't have a set price--FRN-hungry sellers do. I think the real issue is that people think that eBay is the best place to buy stuff, not even thinking about **gasp** bricks-and-mortar stores that sell the stuff right above spot. eBay is just a magnet for lemmings.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  19:19:29  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I really hope to see silver get knocked down to about $9. I will be like a shark at my dealer's store. $11 Eagles...yum!
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  19:30:21  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Starwarsgeek, don't bet on anyone being willing to take a loss if silver drops that low. That's one reason why the premiums in general are so high right now. The last time silver closed below $10 spot was in early March 2006, and I wouldn't guess that any dealers have held on to inventory that long, so they're not about to take a loss just because Kitco says silver drops below $12 or $11 or $10 or whatever.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  21:11:59  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Yeah, I went ahead and bought 500 ASE when spot was at 13.15 or so, mainly because I waited and the spot price would drop and then by the time it dropped to the level that I set my buy price at(in my head) there were none to be had and the new shipments coming in, well they kept wanting more and more on the premium over spot. My guess is, that the worthless paper silver can drop where ever the heck it wants to but real silver isn't going to go very far, maybe even up further. 4.99 over spot now seems to be the current rate at most places. Wow, now I can remember not too long ago when silver spot was below just the premium rate. Sigh get em while you can because believe me there will be no such thing as an 11.00 eagle, can you imagine the demand that would cause????

Scotty
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  21:39:22  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ScottyTX

Yeah, I went ahead and bought 500 ASE when spot was at 13.15 or so, mainly because I waited and the spot price would drop and then by the time it dropped to the level that I set my buy price at(in my head) there were none to be had and the new shipments coming in, well they kept wanting more and more on the premium over spot. My guess is, that the worthless paper silver can drop where ever the heck it wants to but real silver isn't going to go very far, maybe even up further. 4.99 over spot now seems to be the current rate at most places. Wow, now I can remember not too long ago when silver spot was below just the premium rate. Sigh get em while you can because believe me there will be no such thing as an 11.00 eagle, can you imagine the demand that would cause????

Scotty

Now that's a chunk of change, WHOO-WAHH! I'm salivating thinking of 500 ASE's, but alas, just ordered 25 Austrian Philharmonics as they are a little cheaper now, though not as attractive.

Oh well, slow and steady will get me there, right...?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  21:41:09  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
THe "spot" price is not always the "market" price. The spot price is influenced heavily by paper traders of silver stocks but try finding any silver bullion at "spot" and tell us how that goes. EBay may be high but some buyers on there either don't know of places like APMEX, tulving, etc to buy bullion and/or they don't have a coin shop within a reasonable distance. Hope this helps.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  11:18:26  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I guess I am very lucky. My dealer will never charge more than $2-3 premium per ASE, and he has never refused to sell (or buy) regardless of prices (he may "forget" to show you his better specimens, but there's always something to buy). A fairly honest coin dealer!
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  15:04:22  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
very few dealers have any ASE in stock, and little hopes of getting any. those that do generally are charging a $5 premium with a 500 coin min. order. the ebay guy is basically charging the going rate. now, i wouldn't pay that because i am a bit more resourceful but there is a serious shortage right now and that ebay price is representative of "market" although a few shops have not caught up yet.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2