Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 engelhard 10 troy ounce ingot
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  21:31:22  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Got one today for only $140. Can you believe that? Almost as exciting as finding a mythical wild Indian.

Anyone know anything about the serial numbers on Engelhard bars? If there is a link as to any meaning to the serial numbers, such as date of mintage, it would be appreciated if you could provide it.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:00:09  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I always wondered the same thing about the numbers. Glad you asked. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction. Price seems fair indeed.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:09:12  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
what did you get it for, $.30 over spot/oz?

That's a very good deal.

The local shops by me charge $2/oz over and there is sales tax. So you got a lot better deal than I could. Maples are also $2 over. Even in mint sheets.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:12:21  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
It would make sense that the serial numbers were stamped for original inventory purposes but that is about it. If I remember correctly I have read several times the late 1980's was the last time Engelhard produced silver bars. So basically when you see an Engelhard bar in circulation today these bars that are simply flowing in and out of the market changing hands. I can’t find anything on the web that specifically shows pictures of bars and gives mintages or dates.

Finally, however, I am nauseated when I see listing on eBay claiming these bars are rare, which is a crock of crap in my humble opinion.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:20:32  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Sometimes I wonder if the two letters are a year code and the numbers, well they are just sequential numbers. Sounds good. Definately don't seem rare, but they are well known and I guess some people will pay crazy prices for them.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:23:49  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Before the 70's there was no interest in .999 silver. Engelhard was the first refiner the website i read that started making bars. JM was next. Whether this is true or not, I dont know. But it makes sense that there was never a demand for silver, because people didnt cash their silver certs in because they believed in the dollar.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  03:43:36  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Catcher

I am nauseated when I see listing on eBay claiming these bars are rare, which is a crock of crap in my humble opinion.

You speak the truth. I can't understand the premium 10 ounce ingots command on ebay, much less Engelhard ingots. The sheeple are way overpaying for their silver.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  23:25:39  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
Nice pickup! Does the dealer have anymore?

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  21:06:24  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CoinHunter53562

Nice pickup! Does the dealer have anymore?

No. And this one was only in his hands for a couple of hours. I had asked him for a 10 ounce ingot, and it took a couple of months for him to get one in in trade. These things seem to be ebay items. I just don't seem to see them at any dealers for some reason.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2