Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 What if they lift the melt ban?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  11:41:58  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I was just thinking what everyone would do if the gov lifted the melt ban on pennies, say, tomorrow.

Do you think you'd race to the scrap dealer as fast as you could, or would you keep the pennies you already have?

Lots of conflicting ideas- would the copper price rise due to frenzied demand or drop due to oversupply? Would J6P finally take notice? Worse, would BANKS take notice, limiting orders towards customers? (I shudder to think of that one)

Just looking for thoughts-

I'll go first- I'd probably cash in my 59-82 coppers ASAP, but I'd always keep the wheats, and maybe up my penny standing order to $200-$250 a week, and ride that as long as it lasts.

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  11:59:11  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I think I'd either cash half of mine in or sell them to someone. I'd keep the other half. That way if the price skyrockets, I'll have been half right in the fact that I hoarded half. If the price plummets, I'll have been half right because I dumped when the price was high. Also then the half that I kept could also have numismatic value in the future, like IH, or Flying eagle cents today!!

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  19:23:52  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Many would race to the scap dealers just as they would if they had copper pipe scrap. Others would continue to hoard even more since they would know they could always cash in when they wanted and consider such a hoard as savings for the future.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:05:43  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I would cash mine in so I could buy more equipment to sort faster.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:03:17  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I'd cash in enough to finally buy a ryedale.

Go to Top of Page

eharrison
Penny Pincher Member

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:24:53  Show Profile Send eharrison a Private Message
I would cash mine in use it to buy silver and some to keep on hoarding.

Freedom is popular
That's why I voted
Ron Paul!
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  08:38:31  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
My penny sorting efforts would greatly increase as there would be a very easy market for my copper.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  08:52:10  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I'm treating my copper pennies as the *destitute* person's gold (since silver is the poor person's gold) and hanging onto it for the bad times I am increasingly sure are coming. Hearing stories about how the government is bailing every rich person and their friends out (but not you or me) makes me ever more certain that copper pennies will be a more preferred form of money than paper (or the way things are going an entry in a spreadsheet on a server somewhere). That and the story of the little old German lady who got through the Weimar hyperinflation okay because she had a bathtub full of metal coins keep me thinking I wouldn't want to run out and trade copper pennies in even if the melt ban is lifted.

Plus I'm hand sorting so I don't have a whole heck of a lot of money tied up in this (I can't justify buying a Ryedale...maybe buying a digital scale to sort my 1982 coins is doable though).

I don't know what the price of copper would immediately do if the melt ban were lifted but I would think that at some point Joe 6 Pack will finally learn that not all of his pennies are only worth 1/100th of a paper dollar (which to him seems so far to still be valuable). That may make sorting and saving copper pennies as we know it hard to do and that banks at some point would cut individual people off from ordering pennies in mass quantities.

But I could be wrong...it's hard to predict the future.

Edited by - n/a on 09/12/2008 09:01:57
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  09:02:16  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by nomore

That and the story of the little old German lady who got through the Weimar hyperinflation okay because she had a bathtub full of metal coins keep me thinking I wouldn't want to run out and trade copper pennies in even if the melt ban is lifted.

Welcome to the forum nomore. You seem well informed with that little piece of information. There are many of a like mind here in realcent.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2