Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Hoarding Standards
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  20:26:47  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I was thinking I was going to post a standard set of rules for hoarding copper pennies. (Later I might add something with nickels). This is to help some newer people coming to this forum that might be wondering what exactly they should look for. It's a start in 'standardizing' the hoarding business. Please sticky if you like this thread.

Pennies 101

A little information/history is always good before starting the hobby
You must be logged in to see this link.(United_States_coin)

Risk of hoarding: Please note that say if you're hoarding pennies hobby doesn't work out, you can always return your investment back to how much you put in. The only thing you lost was time, not that bad of a bet?

Pennies: Most common to least common.

Zinc - These are pennies made 1982 to present. You do not want to keep these for there metal content as the face value is worth more than the metal content probably will ever be. use these to exchange for more unsearched rolls/more money for more rolls.

Copper - These are 1959 to 1981, some copper pennies are 1982. You want to keep copper pennies. Copper pennies have more metal content value than there face value but are still regularly in circulation. As of right now they are worth about 2.3 pennies for every 1 copper penny BUT most people only buy copper pennies between 1.5-1.9 per, This is one way to sell your hoard. Although at this time it is 'illegal' to deface money, you can store your hoard away until more legal actions let us do so.

Wheat Pennies - These are pennies between the years 1909 to 1958. These pennies are made of copper but they are worth more as a collectors item. Do not melt these down. If you save up enough you can get more as a collectors item than it's melt value.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Indian Head - These are pennies between 1859 to 1909. These are rarely found in penny rolls. If you find one of these keep them, similar situation with the wheat pennies, do not melt these down, as there collectors value is worth more than the melt value.

1943 Copper Penny - This is 1943 only. These are very rare, even rarer than Indian Heads. These are often missed in piles as just regular wheat pennies. A mint condition of these sold for 200,000$ a while back. If you find one of these, chances are it could be fake.

Note: You may find other types pennies in your rolls, but most likely these will be the 5 types you will see 99.99% of the time.

For coin calculators to determine your copper penny hoard with current copper prices, go to

For current and past copper prices, I preferably use this site:

For the best copper/zinc coin sorter on the market right now, go to:

If you have any questions or would like to add something to the list,(I know I missed a thing or two) please feel free to either ask me or ask the admins/mods.

I tried my best, if it fails it fails, just lost a few minutes.

Edited by - n/a on 08/31/2008 22:25:20

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  20:45:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Thanks, I made it sticky.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  21:40:21  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
Hey, the only thing i have to mention is that you said steel cents were rare, they aren't that rare. I'm pretty sure you were talking abotu 1943 copper pennies...You might want to edit that. On everything else you did great. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Great post Derrick! I agree that the 43 cents are not rare unless they are copper.

You may want to change the dates on the Indian Cents from 1859 to 1909. I have found an 1859 in my sorting but have not found a 1909 yet.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  22:28:39  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Sorry for the few mistakes, it's really late and i'm tired.

Like I said, anything you think I missed just tell me and either me or an administrator can change it. Seems to be getting a good response :)
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  11:54:35  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
I don't know that a 1943 Copper cent is common enough to be worth mentioning at all... I don't even think HCBTT has found one yet!

I would probably replace that with Canadian cents, as those ARE pretty common finds.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  12:59:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Sure, I found one of the 1943 Copper cents. Unfortunately it sticks to a magnet.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  15:05:47  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Could replace the 1943 copper with the 1909 S VDB.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  15:50:45  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

Could replace the 1943 copper with the 1909 S VDB.

I did find one of those! It was in XF. Doesn't count as a circulation find though.. it was in a little group of wheat pennies I paid 3 cents each for.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  18:15:55  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
what about foreign coins? Gaming tokens? buttons, rocks, plastic pennies, dimes? I've found all of these in penny rolls.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Centsearcher
Penny Pincher Member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:24:01  Show Profile Send Centsearcher a Private Message
Great post! I would just add that canadian cents before 1997 are 98% copper, and should also be kept. If you want to go into further detail, those canadians before 1980 are slightly hevier than those from 1981-1996, and therefore have more copper content. Overall very informative for new members!

--Misplaced Numismatist--

Democracy: The only system where any two idiots can out-vote a genius

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  21:24:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
One other risk of hoarding is that the purchasing power of the hoarded coins diminishes in inflationary times. $5,000 worth of copper pennies placed on a pallet in the garage in 1980 (when there was nothing but copper pennies) will buy a lot less (at face value) in 2008. A second risk is the lost opportunity costs: $5,000 invested might have a higher rate of return that while it's tied up in pennies sitting on that pallet.
Go to Top of Page

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  22:40:18  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ceddy2

One other risk of hoarding is that the purchasing power of the hoarded coins diminishes in inflationary times. $5,000 worth of copper pennies placed on a pallet in the garage in 1980 (when there was nothing but copper pennies) will buy a lot less (at face value) in 2008. A second risk is the lost opportunity costs: $5,000 invested might have a higher rate of return that while it's tied up in pennies sitting on that pallet.

Good points. Ones does need an exit strategy in almost any hobby. Especially those that revolves around bullion and money.

Steiner

Steiner
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  20:07:35  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ceddy2

This is a true statement for the time period. However I started coins in Feb 08. If I invested the money now tied up at face value in my coin collection in the stock market instead over the last several months, I would be way behind.

In times of financial stress, cash is king. So my solution is diversification - some in copper pennies/nickel nickels, some in silver, some in the market, some in real estate etc. The market is great when the market is great, but cash is great when the market is really bad.

If base metals soar, then my coins will really go up in value. If base metals tank (the current situation) along with the rest of the market, I can always cash in coins at the bank and go pick up some bargian assets with the money. I see this as pretty much a no lose deal.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  11:28:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
There was a short period of time last year when the zinc cost made the post-1982 penny >1c.
I save those as well - US Pennies are the purest, so depositing ANY US penny is kind of dumb.
Just like saving gold & silver - you don't want to sell those unless you have to, right?
Pure nickel (found in certain Canadian nickels), pure copper (<1982 US pennies), and pure zinc (>1982 US Pennies) are metals as well and all worthy of hoarding for their purity.

THE Red Blade
Accept No Substitutions!

Save the trees.
Use REAL Money!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  11:17:02  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
(First post) I am trying to make sense whether or not it is worth the time and effort to save copper pennies. It takes so much time to go thru them by hand. I have went thru 18,500 so far, and have 5,231 copper. If each was going for 2 cents, it would take 25,000 to equal what if costs for a $500 Rydale- just to break even. Thinking that copper pennies will be much higher than 2 cents each someday might justify it. What is copper projected to go for in the future? Does someone have a used Ryedale they'd sell me? -there's probably no such thing. Does anyone know where to buy a digital scale/how much they cost?
What are the opinions if and when it will be legal to melt the pennies? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks-

The exact opposite of gluttony is not starvation, its simply eating wisely.
Go to Top of Page

aaron239
Penny Collector Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  11:40:32  Show Profile Send aaron239 a Private Message
You can get a fairly good deal on Ebay for a Ryedale if your patient. I just got a nice digital gram scale that is really fancy for $25 shipped new the other day. Using a scale would be even faster than hand sorting I imagine. It is currently illegal to melt pennies down. Just like the silver melt ban at one time, I would think it will adventually be lifted when they feel like there are enough non-copper pennies floating around out there.

Once you get a Ryedale though, you will catch a bug that will hook you to sorting pennies. Everyday you will be trying to 'scheme' a new way to get and dump more pennies every week.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  12:37:54  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
After the discontinuation of the memorial cent last year, there will be a demand for any and all higher graded memorials, and that demand will drive prices to a much better profit than you would ever get from melting them. A digital scale is waaay faster than hand sorting. A rydale is worth it. Period. The time saved over hand searching justifies it alone. To me they are for serious collectors more than quick return investors.

Those looking to profit from the markets should buy cheap bags on ebay and resell, so they don't get disappointed when the market drops, and their expectations are ruined. Running copper is work, but a labor of love to those who understand.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  23:44:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Can should keep my $100 colombian pesos coins? 92% Cu? Should I?

Recycling and investing is life!!! The rest is just details...
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  07:23:31  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Musenge

100 peso coins weight 5.31 grams, and the conversion to US dollars is around 4.5 cents currently, so right now they are worth more as money than as metal. The metal value is approx. 2.5 cents or around 55% of of the face value, very close to our nickel melt value here in the US. Might be worth holding onto some of these coins, but probably not worth hoarding in large amounts right now. Just watch the copper prices.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  10:10:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

quote:
Originally posted by Musenge

100 peso coins weight 5.31 grams, and the conversion to US dollars is around 4.5 cents currently, so right now they are worth more as money than as metal. The metal value is approx. 2.5 cents or around 55% of of the face value, very close to our nickel melt value here in the US. Might be worth holding onto some of these coins, but probably not worth hoarding in large amounts right now. Just watch the copper prices.

Thanks a lot sir, better i hoard more coins, then broke my plastic water bottle of 18.5 gallons, and with the money i'll buy silver or somethin' He he ehehe Thanks really.

Recycling and investing is life!!! The rest is just details...
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  09:25:13  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
In the news......the government is now hoarding their own coins in order to be ready for what is to come.

Like I keep saying........like in Germany and Rhodesia all coins will be more valuable than paper fiat.

It cost 0.07 cents to print a $100.00 bill and 0.08 cents to make and distributed a NICKEL, that's also counting the value of the metal.

So that the actual value of a brick of nickels is of 2,000X8=$160.00 vs 0.07 for a $100.00 fiat bill........this example of mine was also posted at two more sites.

Hold a $100.00 bill in your left hand and a brick of nickels in your right, which one feels more real? hehehehehehheeheheh.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

Ryedale
Administrator

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  12:35:06  Show Profile Send Ryedale a Private Message
WOW.... a Ponce sighting.
Welcome again friend, glad you stopped by.

Ryedale

GET YOUR DRI-SLIDE FROM IRONBRAID

Used with permission from Ironbraid.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  17:15:47  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Ponce, been awhile huh? You back or what?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  19:55:56  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
Well, first of all thanks for missing "God Ponce" hahahahahahahahah.......and second of all my brother with his wife and two kids just made it here from Cuba so that now I am bussy teaching them how everything works.

And, here is the good one, one of your big cheesses sent me a email telling me to either post again or they were going to kick me out...........uffffffffffffff after being kicked out of more than 20 sites I don't need another one JUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Love you guys and thanks for your kind words.....

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  03:06:17  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Nope we don't delete people with a lot of posts, or anyone that just logs in occasionally. We do delete people who never log in for months and have never posted. Welcome back and congrats on getting family into the states.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2