Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Going Rate for Aluminum Cans?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  21:24:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
So whats the going rate for aluminum cans in your area?

And just so I know, how many empty cans make a pound?

Bobby Deese

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  21:34:50  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
2.20 a pound, plus CRV

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  22:47:57  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I hear 31 empty alluminum cans make a pound.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  23:38:36  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
$0.45 a pound in Bemidji, MN. No deposits, cash refunds, etc. Just $0.45 a pound for crushed or whole cans.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  23:42:59  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
If I'm only getting paid 45 cents a pound, and you're getting $2.20 a pound, should I be shipping my cans to you?
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  23:50:57  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Haha, if you want, see if you can get a cube maker, and pack them into a flat rate and I'll just toss them to the cycleyard for ya

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  08:26:35  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
This might sound stupid, but if I could fit 50 pounds worth in a box, it would cost 78 cents a pound to ship them. .45+.78 is $1.23 a pound. At your $2.20 that would be $1.00 more per pound then I am currently getting, if we split it I would be doubling my money. Only problem is that I don't think I can get 1600 crushed cans in a box small enough to go through the postal service :)
Mark
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  08:34:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
They have to be CA CRV to get that rate. It would be illegal to do what you are proposing even if you could get them in the Flat Rate box.

Officially there are 31 aluminum cans in a pound. That is the rate that they calculate the price on for the CRV. The actual # of cans can vary slightly from that figure depending on the size of the can and the thickness.. not all cans are exactly alike.

I have one of those cube makers at work. We make half ton cubes of cans with it.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  20:33:44  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
$2.20 a lb for aluminum cans??? Thats crazy! In a good way.
It just seems odd to me, thats a lot per lb plus how do they calculate the CRV? Thats based off a per can and it seems to me a scrap yard would not take the time to count cans.

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  21:58:13  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
SO approximately 1.5 cents per can in most places. (.45 cents/31 cans)
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  22:19:21  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
California charges you .05 per can when you buy them, and you get that amount back when you recycle. It's 2.20 w/CRV included

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  22:36:12  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
Ohh.. In your first response you said $2.20 plus CRV, which you probably meant including CRV.

I used to live in OR, and found myself in WA at least once a month. I would take the aluminum cans from my fathers office and take them down home with me.
At the time I never thought of it as illegal, but now it makes sense. Wooops :-0

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  22:50:01  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Who cares? They're a bunch of can nazi's, bleed them for their Nazi GOLD!

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  02:06:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Can Nazi here We do 20-30 tons of cans a month.

You don't even want to know what one of those "cube makers" costs.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  03:18:14  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Oh... Hi. >.> Get me a job! I want the Nazi Gold!

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  17:16:32  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
Speaking of crushers, I was doing research a while ago and found a company that made an "oil filter" crusher. At the time I thought that maybe it to "squeeze" any remaining oil out in order to make it scrap-able.

I have cut oil filters in half in the past and have never noticed anything special.

Can anyone confirm why a auto wrecker would spend $3 k on a oil filter crusher?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  19:23:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
The going rate for cans in my area is around .80 per pound.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  21:44:08  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
today the going rate for cans was .65 cents.
with 180 lbs of cans i made 117 dollars today.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  14:03:18  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

California charges you .05 per can when you buy them, and you get that amount back when you recycle. It's 2.20 w/CRV included

Hey Neckro.. does that place in Modesto still pay 2.20 per pound for cans? Will they take half ton (1000 pound bales)?

Go to Top of Page

cakesea
Penny Sorter Member

51 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  21:46:58  Show Profile Send cakesea a Private Message
my scrap yard pays $.40/lb it kinda sux but i get the cans for free cause i pick up them up from the side of the road plus my friends house so i guess i cant really compalin but it was nic in the beginning of the summer when my scrap yard was paing twice that.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  22:32:55  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
.40/lb is actually pretty strong considering the current market in China. 1.57 of our price out here in CA is for redemption value. I was kind of funning Neckro cause I am pretty sure with the current scrap price in the dumper that noone out here will be paying 2.20 per pound. If they were I would start shipping it to them.. 23 tons at a time.

You can always hold your aluminum and wait for the price to recover.

Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  00:30:05  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
HCBTT,

Do you think I could flatten Al cans with the CRV showing, ship then to you in flat rate boxes and split the "net gain" from the scrap prices in my state 50/50?

If this could be considered anything other than legal, I'd prefer to NOT CONTINUE this discussion by PM.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  17:10:34  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It wouldn't be considered legal so I wouldn't do it even if the prices were high enough to make it worthwhile. Besides, the postage would kill you. You can't ship nearly enough in a flat rate box to amount to any weight. Once I figure out how to transfer pics from my camera to my computer I will show you guys some pics of what 1000 pound cubes look like.. I have stacks of 'em.

Go to Top of Page

lilyrdape
Penny Pincher Member

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  20:59:00  Show Profile  Send lilyrdape an AOL message Send lilyrdape a Private Message
i think i got 77cents a pound last time i took some in.....price might be down now tho
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  21:46:06  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I bet it is. I doubt there are very many places that will pay above .40 a pound right now after you factor out any redemption value.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  20:58:33  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
.45 in FL.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked