Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Tracking Threads Only
 Canadian nickel numbers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  00:47:38  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
1 box yielded:
277 Ni (13.85%)

And:
1 rabbit, 41 U.S., 1 unidentified foreign

Much happier with these results. This is the same bank as the last post, have gone from 14.75% to 13.90% to 7.85% and back up to 13.85%, so the U-shaped curve is moving in the right direction.

Luck comes and goes, but the Ni is out there. Chase it! Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  00:53:25  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
Correction to last post. This was NOT from the same bank as the previous posting, but another branch of the same bank.

My record from this particular branch is actually: 13.25% to 10.45% to 6.36% to 36.75% to 11.63% to 13.56% to 17% to 14% to 13.85%. All in all, this is my favorite bank and branch of all (the numbers illustrate my point.) There is one lady I go to there, a woman I used to actually work with at another job. She's very sweet and only now do I realize just how much she really helps me. It's time I brought her a little gift for all the nickel lifting she does for me! :)

Take care everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  02:17:02  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
1 box yielded:
236 Ni (11.8%)

And:
1 rabbit, 1x40 (in nice shape), 3x49, 1x50, 1x57, the usual handful of U.S., no foreign this time
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  08:29:11  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypto

2 boxes. 1 was completely new from the mint, have to send back to bank.

It might be a good idea to keep them next time. The original mint rolls can be sold for a premium.
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  11:49:54  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by psi

quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypto

2 boxes. 1 was completely new from the mint, have to send back to bank.

It might be a good idea to keep them next time. The original mint rolls can be sold for a premium.

Interesting, but I'm not 100% sure that's the case for Canadian nickels? I've searched ebay and haven't seen anything on that. In Canada, the mint boxes contain regular old steel 2009 rolls in plastic. Have you seen those selling somewhere for a premium? The only ones I see on ebay are the American "P" rolls.

Thanks for your information. I'll do a bit more research and see what's going on there, because I believe I should be able to get a mint box or two from my favorite teller
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  23:44:03  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
Hello, everyone. Well, I appear to have had a nickel sorting dream day!

I picked up a box today, and upon beginning the sorting ritual, was amazed to open and find an entire roll of 12-sided nickels, all with dates ranging from 1947 to 1962, all coins very shiny and in very good shape. Within that roll, I also discovered 4 very clean 1967 rabbits. The roll stuck out in the box. It was plain brown paper, with the little view holes on the side. There were others like that as well, so I was feeling hopeful that there might be a trend.

But the rabbits are what jumped out at me first (no pun intended) because they were so incredibly clean; under my lamp they flashed and shone vibrantly, appearing proof-like. They seem to have been in there a long, long time.

I was very excited, and I gently plucked out the rabbits and set them aside, then put the rest of the roll aside in the "good" pile. Now my attention was on the other 14 rolls in brown paper which might be from the same source, so I picked one up and I could immediately feel the edges from the 12-sided coins. I could also clearly see through the little holes in the paper; they were all showing 12-sided coins. I quickly pulled out the other brown rolls from the box and checked the holes in those, and they too were all 12-sided nickels. I was astounded, and immediately opened one to be certain that there was no mistake. Then more rabbits popped out, in shiny, beautiful shape, just like in the first roll.

At this point my excitement was increasing. Not only did I have a guaranteed massive percentage of Ni in this box, but I clearly had some numismatic potential as well, since all of the coins are in very, very good shape, and the 1967 rabbits are worth more as well. These coins have been in those rolls and stashed away for a long, long time.

My luck didn't stop there. I had already gone through some of the newer looking rolls and found the usual 10-20% Ni, mixed in with the newer 2007, 8 sand 9 nickels. But I picked one up, opened it and popped them all onto the mat and what do I see? Another entire roll of 12-sided nickels. So now I'm realizing that the party isn't over. (It doesn't end with the brown paper rolls!) This roll was brown paper but it had the $2 / 5¢ lettering on it as well. In all, there were 5 rolls like that, plus 14 plain brown paper rolls, all containing 12-sided coins.

To top it all off, I found a very shiny 1944 Victory nickel.

This was the most exciting sorting day I've ever had. I'm almost embarrassed to show these numbers but you guys are the Realcent army, so show them I must. I can only hope that the same luck is bestowed upon the rest of you as well, and you catch a box like this one day.

On to the actual numbers:

1 box
926 Ni (46.3%)

The breakdown is:

31 rabbits
31 U.S.
135 Ni from the "regular rolls"
760 Ni (12-sided Ni - 19 full old rolls) with dates ranging from 1947 to 1962

Edited by - Apocalypto on 10/17/2009 23:48:23
Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  10:26:57  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Congrats on your findings, Apocalypto.

Make sure to visit that branch again and who knows maybe you will find similar boxes.

Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  22:40:02  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jin.coy

Congrats on your findings, Apocalypto.

Make sure to visit that branch again and who knows maybe you will find similar boxes.

I will, jin.coy. And thanks. I wish you the same luck one day.
Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  18:45:03  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Wish I could join you guys. I love the Canadian Ni coins.

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  15:55:36  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jonflyfish

Wish I could join you guys. I love the Canadian Ni coins.

Jon, and I wish I could prospect those half dollar boxes. There's silver in them.
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  16:02:10  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
I went back to the same bank where I scored the 19 12-sided rolls. I asked for 2 boxes and she said she only had 2 left so she could give me only 1. I didn't find any full old rolls. (In fact, it contained only one 12-sided coin.) But I found a very high amount of Ni, so it was a very good box.

1 box yielded:
437 Ni (21.85%)

And:
2 rabbits, 18 U.S.

Edited by - Apocalypto on 10/20/2009 16:03:38
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  23:49:33  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
Another box from my "usual" bank

1 box yielded:
162 Ni (8.1%)

And:
49 U.S., 1 1993 twenty pence in good condition

Edited by - Apocalypto on 10/20/2009 23:49:58
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  01:11:53  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Hey I've found silver war nickels in Canada before. Only two or three so they are very rare, but still silver.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Coinage
Penny Collector Member

Canada
303 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  01:57:53  Show Profile Send Coinage a Private Message
Yeah, I also found 2 silver War nickels a couple weeks ago.

Positive Feedback Selling Score
Copper Sold (0 lots) / Nickel Sold (0 lots) / Silver Sold (0 lots) / WTB-WTS-WTT (1 lots)
Rate me on a scale of 1 to 5

• jldco - 5.5
  • ___
  • ___
  • Go to Top of Page

1945V
    Penny Pincher Member

Canada
    153 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  07:06:51  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
    Apocalypto, you did very well this month. Congratulations !!!

Last year at this time I was averaging an 18 to 20% yield (.999 nickel) from my bank roll finds.
    It has dropped quite a bit this year. I am getting a 7 to 10% yield like yourself.

I love those 20 pence pieces. I have scored about 5 myself and they are worth 40 cents each.

I have only found one US silver nickel out $10000 worth of nickels.
    I have found every single Canadaian nickel date many times over including 1922 and up to the present, except the 1925, 1926, 1942 (tombac), 1943 (tombac) and 1948.
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  02:29:14  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    Another box from my "usual" bank

1 box yielded:
    301 Ni (15.05%)

1945V, I like the Pence coin as well. It's very cool looking

Edited by - Apocalypto on 10/25/2009 02:31:00
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  17:04:51  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    1 box yielded:
    280 Ni (14%)

Also had some U.S., 1 rabbit and 1 Chinese coin... plus a Canadian penny. hehe.
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  21:02:16  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    1 box yielded:
    170 Ni (8.5%)

40 U.S., 1 rabbit and 3 older coins in very nice shape: 39,42 and 50.
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  22:39:53  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    Well, I did another box a couple of days ago, and it yielded 305 (15.25%). This was from the same bank I got the dream box from. So that makes 2 boxes from the same bank since the dream box.

Today, I went back to that same bank, thinking nothing of it, and grabbed another box. When the clerk opened the box so I could count the rolls with her, I could clearly see more of the same old brown rolls that contained the full 12-sided coins (same wrappers as in the box from Oct. 17)! I was very surprised but wasn't 100% sure of what I was looking at, so I waited until I got home to confirm.

Lucky me, there were 9 more full rolls, all 12-sided, all pre-62 except for 1 67 rabbit. (There was another 67 rabbit in the other rolls as well.) But in among the old rolls I found a 1924 in VG condition!

Here are the totals:

2 rabbits
    28 U.S.
    101 Ni from the "regular rolls"
    360 Ni (12-sided Ni - 9 full old rolls) with dates ranging from 1924 to 1964.
    Total: 23.3% Ni

Here is the full breakdown:

24-1
    46-7
    47-7
    49-5
    50-7
    51-5
    52-10
    53-18
    54-8
    55-1
    56-18
    57-15
    58-23
    59-9
    60-51
    61-74
    62-102
    63-2
    64-2
    67-2

I am very lucky that they still had more of these rolls at the same bank. I found it amazing that they still gave me 2 "regular" boxes between the 2 boxes containing the older rolls. My plan now is to go back to that same bank, and bring the old brown roll paper to show the clerk. This time I'm going to come straight out and ask her if she can take a quick look in the boxes and see if she can find any more rolls with that paper.

Edited by - Apocalypto on 10/31/2009 22:43:03
    Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
    Administrator

USA
    6807 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  01:32:06  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
    Congrats on some great finds Apacalypto. You should probably take at least 1 box of steel nickels with you to trade in case they are running low on nickel boxes again and don't want to give them all up.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  12:39:09  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Congrats on some great finds Apacalypto. You should probably take at least 1 box of steel nickels with you to trade in case they are running low on nickel boxes again and don't want to give them all up.

That's a great idea, HoardCopperByTheTon. I've been hesitant to do that because of the "don't dump at your buy bank" rule, but in this case I think it warrants it. I'll bring a couple of steel boxes there next week and ask them to do a trade.

One other thought I had was, maybe the same individual who brought the nickels to that bank also brought old rolls of dimes and quarters? Maybe it's worth a shot looking at a box of dimes and quarters just in case.
    Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
    Penny Pincher Member

Canada
    128 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  21:20:32  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
    Good job Apocalypto, keep us posted with your recent findings.

Today I searched another box that I picked up from the work place and I found this error coin
    You must be logged in to see this link.
    that yeilded the usual 8% .999 Ni with 1x'49.

Edited by - jin.coy on 11/03/2009 21:31:57
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  01:13:37  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    jin.coy that's a nice looking coin. Seems to have had a serious die problem.

I took HoardCopperByTheTon's suggestion today, and went back to the bank with 2 steel boxes for trade. They were okay with the idea, and gave me 2 boxes in exchange for my sorted steel. The woman even remarked that she had another customer at her other branch who comes in looking for nickel as well. I'll have to go back and ask her which branch, so I know to stay away from that guy's territory.

Anyway, the 2 boxes were very ordinary, so I think I've gotten all there is to get in terms of full 12-sided rolls. Anyway, I'm happy with what I already found. But I'll have to stay away from my main bank for a while, until they run out of my old steel nickels!

2 boxes yielded:
    530 Ni (13.25%)

Also found 1 decent looking rabbit, and 1x40, 1x41, 1x47, 1x50, 2x56

I think I'm going to try a dime box from my bank this weekend, just in case I get lucky and find some old silver rolls that the same customer may have handed in there. I haven't done dimes in a long time, and they're fun in their own way (even though my favorite is still nickels...)

Take care everyone.
    Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
    Penny Hoarding Member

USA
    693 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:11:14  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
    Nice find jin.coy!

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
    Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
    Penny Sorter Member

Canada
    73 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  23:49:44  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
    1 box yielded:
    230 Ni (11.5%)

And:
    1 rabbit, 44 U.S., 1 unidentified foreign
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     Forum Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05