Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Tracking Threads Only
 Canadian nickel numbers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  06:48:40  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

Forgot to ask you legacypac--any word of replacing steel coins with something cheaper? :)

Just noticed this question - there was no discussion of alternative metals or technology in my mint tour. Given the low price for steel there would not seem to be a big need either.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  13:14:34  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
This recuperation policy by the Canadian mint would explain a bunch of dime rolls I encountered a few weeks ago. They were the "shotgun shell" types wrapped automatically by a machine. When I opened them, no coins dimes below 2001 were found. I usually find coins dating back to at least 1968 and a few American dimes as well.

Interesting statistics on nickel rolls. They match up with my results. I typically get a 20% pre-1982 nickel yield on most rolls.

Does anyone know if a similar program is in place for pre-1997 pennies? I still get a good 50% yield on pre-1997 pennies at the moment.

Edited by - 1945V on 03/08/2009 13:21:28
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  18:22:01  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fasTTcar

Hey Mickeyman.

I do not think that the mint will drop the alloy recovery program for sometime. The machinery is installed at CDI, costs virtually nothing to run now, and still removes whatever is still in circulation that has a base metal value.

The reason that all new coins have a mint mark of P or the RCM logo directly under the bust is for identification purposes by the optical reader. No mark, it gets pulled. Even the new pennies have them.

I have no doubt that the mint is competing with us for the good stuff over the long term. Get yours while you can.

Edit to add - BTW, thanks for all your research work.

I got the link for this forum from another forum site and the info on here is helping me a lot. I had no idea this program was in effect and now I am wondering what years I should be keeping from all denominations?

So far I have been keeping pennies up to 1981 and nickels up to 1981. Planning on getting into dimes and quarters too.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by - bargar on 03/08/2009 18:25:09
Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  20:28:05  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Hi, I am back into sorting nickels.

$200 in CWR(4 different banks) gave 12% .999 Ni
I found 4 rolls full of .999 Ni that had 2 silver dimes(1x'66, 1x'67).

bargar, you can keep all pennies pre-1997 thet are 98%copper

Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  12:49:34  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Any advice on dimes and quarters? I do appreciate all the help.
Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  13:13:40  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Canadian penny : You must be logged in to see this link.(Canadian_coin)
Canadian nickel : You must be logged in to see this link.(Canadian_coin)
Canadian dime : You must be logged in to see this link.(Canadian_coin)
Canadian quarter : You must be logged in to see this link.(Canadian_coin)

Scroll down and you will find a table with the composition/mass for different years.
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  13:36:39  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Thanks so much, appreciate your help, and superfast too.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  13:58:12  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Mint is going after ALL pure nickel coins - nickels, dimes and quarters. I have seen no evidence they are going after Cu Pennies here yet, explaining my near 50% Cu yields on non-Mint fresh pennies.

However, for us the nickels make a lot of sense because there is more Ni per measure of face value in the Nickel (or put another way, nickels are worth more then melt much quicker and at lower Ni prices).

I did a bag of $100 in Ni Dimes just for future collector purposes. $100 in dimes is pretty small and light - and $100 in quarters (10 rolls) is equally small and light (same ratio of weight to value I think). Compare to a full box of $100 in Ni weighs a lot more.

However, if you want to do some dimes and quarters - which I do sometimes for fun

1. Seperate all the US for exchange rate profit (spend or exchange next trip south). They are easy to spot in a stack by edge checking.

2. Keep your eyes open for silver (including some 1968s). It is rare but I have found the odd silver dime and even a couple silver quarters.

3. Canadian quarters have a lot of differant designs worth collecting for fun. The Provincial series is especially hard to find - we are still missing a few provinces. I have no idea if any carry a premium and I can't check my coin book right now. If your going to save a few for Ni value, might as well make them the harder to find special designs.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  18:49:54  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Thanks for the tips. I have been separating the U.S. coins and finding a lot of them.

I will pick up some dimes and quarters tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  10:56:19  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Jadedragon,

Commemorative coins are usually made in huge quantities.
The reclamation of nickel coins will reduce the these quantities, but because so many are stowed away in drawers and jars I don't think their value will jump significantly.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  15:16:16  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 1945V

Jadedragon,

Commemorative coins are usually made in huge quantities.
The reclamation of nickel coins will reduce the these quantities, but because so many are stowed away in drawers and jars I don't think their value will jump significantly.

I agree with you. I'm not seeking an commemorative coins for value increase - just because my wife enjoys collecting them. My experiance in many boxes of quarters searched is that the provincial series is hard to find (people save them I guess). I figure if you are going to stash some pure Ni Quarters it is more interesting to stash the special ones.

Frankly, at current exchange rates the real steady (if small) profit is in buying US Quarters (mixed with Canadian Quarters) for Canadian dollars. I even scored 4 full rolls of US quarters once, clearly marked US on the outside. I also enjoy finding the rare silver coin to add to the stash. Every so often you will pull an international coin of some kind too.

I happen to live close to the border so I set up a US savings account just for depositing my US coin finds from Canadian rolls. It adds up nicely, even the zinc pennies.

Another way to do it is just save and roll all the US coin, and put it in a box for your vacation fund. You will not miss the US coin any more then the silver and nickels you are saving aside. Eventually you have a nice (heavy) vacation fund built up. Then go to Disneyland or Vegas or Buffalo or whatever makes you happy. Your family will thank-you as you spend coin along the way.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:33:23  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Nickel searching really averages out in the end.
Yesterday, I got stuck with 20 rolls of useless 2008 nickels, a normal set of 20 rolls with a 20% yield pre-1982 nickels and an old set of 20 rolls (all pre-1993) that gave me a nice 50% pre-1982 yield (that made up for the first 20 rolls).

Last time I got "shotgun" dime rolls from the bank they were devoid of any pre-2001 coins. Yesterday I got coins with the same Brinks type green wrapping and surprisingly they had a good mix this time (a lot of pre-2001); found many Americans, two British 5 pence coins and strange Cuban coin. No silver though. I has been nearly 2 weeks, since I found any silver dimes.

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:09:14  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
welcome 1945V. I believe i have seen you somewhere else!You must be logged in to see this link.

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:41:26  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Hello Daviscfad,

Thanks for the welcome. I am new to this forum and I am quite impressed by all the knowledge commentators here. And along I thought I was the only one that hoarded copper and nickel from bank rolls

You are 100% correct, I use the same pseudoname 1945V at You must be logged in to see this link. It comes from my favorite Canadian nickel the 1945 Victory nickel (modeled after the pre-1913 US Liberty nickel). Ironically, it is chromium plated steel and not real nickel. I collect Canadian and American coins as well as hoard copper, nickel and American coins.
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:49:30  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
I am very new to this and just want to make sure I am keeping the correct Canadian coins.

Penny up to 1996
Nickels up to 1981
Dimes up to 1968 for silver / up to 1999 for nickel
Quarters up to 1968 for silver / up to 1999 for nickel

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  13:01:30  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Bargar

Nice to see you on this forum as well.

Your list is correct. I would add the following:
1968 dimes or quarters that stick to a magnet are nickel.
1968 dimes or quarters that DO NOT stick to a magnet are silver.

There is also the 1982-1999 Cupronickel nickels.
I don't bother with them at the moment, although I probably should.
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  13:25:08  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message

Hey 1945V, thanks for the quick response.

I have 2 more questions:

Is it a good idea to return the re-rolled coins to another bank and use that one bank all the time for returns?

Who do you sell these saved coins too?

Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  13:56:43  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Bargar,

I have designated one bank for coin rolls returns only.
I get my rolls from 20 other banks in the same chain (RBC) and dump them off at the return bank after searching them. This way I will not get stuck with the same rolls I already searched.

I have never sold any coins for bullion value. The prices are very low now compared to last summer. Pre-1987 pennies and pre-1982 nickels are worth a bit above face value. They were worth many times face last summer. I am waiting for prices to rise after the economic recovery.

I would not sell to a local coin dealer. They will pay a fraction of what you could get if you sold them yourself. They have to eat too I would sell them on this forum or on ebay (less desirable because of the high Ebay and PayPal fees, up to 25%).
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  14:41:26  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Thanks for the advice. I have been taking back coins to the same branch and the teller was like "you're back again" If she asked me outright I would tell her what I am doing because there is nothing wrong with 'coin roll hunting' right?

Good to know, I will look into selling these coins on here.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  16:55:13  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
A few comments: I get asked all the time what I am doing. I usually say "looking for old coins". If asked what I do with the old coins I say "sell them to Americans - they will buy anything on eBay" That gets a good laugh from the Canadian tellers.

I rank the hunting by nearness to making a profit and then collect accordingly:

1. Anything silver - obvious immediate market (I just add to my collection at face value because I am always trying to buy more silver anyway) but very hard to find in the wild.

2. Canadian Ni Nickels - there is a market now. Some just sold for the low low price of 8.5 cents each shipped. I will not sell below 10 cents. Was as high as 20 cents I hear.

2. American coins - obvious +/- 20% exchange rate gain. Easy to profit here.

3. Canadian Copper - there is a market now here and on ebay, but prices are less then when prices were higher. Wait till US dollar drops? Sell by weight seems to work better. Not as profitable as our unique Canadian Ni Nickels, but worth saving. US Copper goes in the same catagory (I save seperate though)

4. Canadian CuNi Nickels - maybe a market someday, but I have not seen it yet. A hubdred trillion heavier US CuNi Nickels out there will compete with our lighter nickel if and when the CuNi market develops. I have some stashed but I don't save them anymore.

5. Errors, older coins (Georges V and George VI, Buffalos, Wheats etc) that have a ready market with coin dealers, ebay, realcent etc. The ones worth much will be rare, but a even collecting and selling batches of wheats makes sense.

6. Canadian Ni Dimes and Quarters - could be a long wait till these are worth more then face value. Better to put money in the Ni Nickels.

6. All international coins found. Little market for these, but you can build a nice collection (for your kids?) at a penny and nickel per coin. Sometime you find UK and Euro coins worth more then your cost that you could use if you travel, but not enough to really make a profit. However it is these odd finds and the joy of being shocked to find a 1942 Newfoundland penny that are really exciting to me.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

bargar

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  18:07:00  Show Profile Send bargar a Private Message
Thanks for the amazing tips.

I have been separating the U.S. coins for travel. Found a few foreign coins and added those to my collection.

Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  21:11:02  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
I just realized this thread existed, but I previously posted this in the other nickel thread. Since I'm Canadian, I may as well post this here. I've been looking at Canadian nickel rolls since the beginning of February and this is what I've found so far:

Total Rolls: 730
Total Coins: 29,200
Total Ni: 3,931
Percentage: 12.44%

take care
Go to Top of Page

Apocalypto
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  21:26:28  Show Profile Send Apocalypto a Private Message
I should also mention something else: I've gone through a box of dimes, and found 7 silvers. The point is, I was only looking for silver, because I wasn't even aware that up to 1999 they are Ni! So a big thank you to this excellent forum and you kind and helpful folks for pointing out to me that there's more to search for than just silver. In fact, I just picked up some dime rolls this evening so I'm looking through them right now, so finding this information is timely. real cent is a great forum.

take care
Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  09:27:54  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Following closely the "Royal Canadian Mint Records Most Profitable Year" story I found the following paragraph in the RCM 2007 annual report; the full report can be found here (You must be logged in to see this link.)

... page 30 ...
Profitable growth in high-margin coinage-related businesses – the Alloy Recovery Program (ARP) and coin processing and recycling. In 2007, revenues from the ARP increased 84.5% to $35.8 million from
$19.4 million in 2006, driven primarily by record nickel metal prices.
Working together with Coinstar International Inc., 684 million coins were recycled to generate revenue of $1 million and savings of $2.2 million
Go to Top of Page

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  09:52:20  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Also from the same article

... page 45 ...
Cumulative production up to December 31, 2007(1) (2)
2007 2006 2005 2004 2003
$2 33,917,000 35,319,000 38,317,000 12,908,000 11,244,000
$1 36,424,000 49,111,000(3) 44,375,000 10,894,000 5,102,000
50’ 250,000 98,000 200,000 – –
25’ 230,772,000 629,018,000 269,586,000 210,047,000 100,638,000
10’ 284,310,000 331,647,000 211,350,000 213,025,000 164,617,000
5’ 218,914,000 184,874,000 148,082,000 123,925,000 101,793,000
1’ 846,420,000 1,261,883,000 767,425,000 842,486,000 748,123,000
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked