Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 I'm new here and some ??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:01:10  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Just wanted to say Hi. I just found this site yestarday. I found some great info. I have been hoarding copper for the last year or so, not all that much. I don't normaly open rolls to search copper at this time, because of time restraints (college, Work, Ect.)But have come up with a 100+ pounds or so. I work retail(gas station) and normally just grab all pennies pre 1982 and exchange them. I recently started picking out pre 1964 nickels to hoard also with the values going up. I would like advise on what people keep there pennies in? I have them in a small trash can but that seems to be getting a little overloaded. Searching by hand how long does it take to go through a brick of $25 in pennies? I'm interested in doing it, but I wonder how much my bank will hate me for it. thanks for all the info so far.

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:09:05  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
welcome, i hand sort a box in just about 1 hour. i roll copper up and put back into $25 boxes.
there are alot of methods and different ways people sort for copper but the most important thing is that your sorting......click through the past posts when you get a chance, im still getting ideas and learning...theres a good group on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:34:07  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Welcome TZcards. It is always nice to hear form a new member that has already hand sorted out a hoard and didn't even make a hit on a bank to do it.

Scott is one of our professional level hand sorters. One hour per box! It would be great to have a contest at a get-together to see who is the king or queen of hand sorting. It wouldn't be me, but if I take my glasses off I can go through them a lot faster.

If you are going to hand sort then I don't think you would need to worry much about the banks hateing you.

Holding on to the pre-64 nickels sounds like a good idea too.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

70 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  15:07:24  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Welcome TZ. An hour a box is fast but doable once yo get cruisin'. check out the 'best hand sorting' post earlier today. I like 5 gallon buckets for storing but you need a hand truck if you are gonna move them around. I use coffee cans while sorting and then take them out to the garage and dump them when they are full.
As far as the banks hating you, just be nice to them and it won't be a problem. I made a $550 zinc dump yesterday and it was no problem. I had a fairly good idea how much was there so I just left them there to count and this morning the deposit showed up in my account.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  19:39:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
markarnold1982 that is cool that your bank will let you just drop off over $500. What do you put them in? Are they all rolled or loose? But, most importantly what is the bank name that you use? Either way that is quite impressive.....
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  20:06:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Some banks are actually friendly. I am dropping off $600 in zinc at one of mine Monday morning. Unlike Mark.. I know exactly how much is in mine.. to the penny. I don't have to wait for them to credit my account.. they count out C-notes right away for me as soon as I turn the zincers in. I machine count them into plastic bags provided by the bank and just seal them up and drop them off.

I think as long as you are hand sorting you don't have to worry much about how many you are turning in. When you get a sorting machine the levels get a bit trickier. When I ramped it up to 100 boxes a week for a short period it became a real problem.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  20:21:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hoardbytheton, Thanks. I can get the plastic bank bags too... I guess I am just wondering how much you put in each plastic bank bag. Do you limit it to 5000 pennies per bag? I also have a bigger question. How the heck you get all those pennies/bags into the bank? Do they actually have room for all of them?
Reguards,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

penniesmakemedizzy
Penny Pincher Member

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  20:35:32  Show Profile Send penniesmakemedizzy a Private Message
my plastic bank bags can hold up to 50 pounds - it usually says on the bag
If you have a lot you will need a cart to bring them in
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  20:44:13  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
penniesmakemedizzy has the right idea. A cart is an excellent investment if you want to do any volume at all.. for both wheeling zinc bags in or for wheeling out fresh boxes. Mine has a 660 pound capacity. I put exactly $50 worth of zinc in each bag. A buddy of mine puts $75 in each of his, but I don't want to make mine that heavy. The bank lady has to move them to their cart and then store them in the vault so I don't want to make them too heavy for her. The amount a given bank can take at one time varies. Some of them have very limited vault space.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

70 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  21:13:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hoard, thats the last time I will have to trust them to count them for me! I found an awesome old Brandt counter/sorter on craigslist for $25 yesterday! This thing works great and it's a real piece of equipment not some plastic piece of junk.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  21:22:19  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yeah, I got one of those too. It is a Brandt/De La Rue Mach 7. Mine cost me more than $25 though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2