Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Paying for Gas in Zincs
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  20:03:45  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Good thing I have automatic rolling machines.. that is a lot of bricks. You would go and Double Dare me like that wouldn't you?

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  20:12:39  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Yep....DOUBLE DOG DARE, even....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  20:43:41  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Oooooooooooohhhh! A Double Dog Dare! Well I guess I better just fire up the rolling machines then.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

coincollector101
Penny Sorter Member

86 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  22:16:03  Show Profile Send coincollector101 a Private Message
HCBTT..... do you need a new car?.......Make enough bricks up to pay for the car or a chuck on the car and get the new in there they will not refuse it, with the news crew. LOL
Now that Could be A few Thousand dollars in zinc you could dump. No that would be a record!!

CC
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  23:06:24  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
On the last post... I heard of a guy down south somewhere that got his mug in thepaper for paying for a new truck in quarters.

The rolls were flat rolls(fold over ends, not shotgun).
I don't know, my heartbeat was up by the time I walked out, but the owner guy wasn't TOO intimidating, more comic relief than "whatchu say fool!"

But that whole idea of 'gun behind the counter' does have me a little resistant to try anything there again in the near future.

And they had the sign up to pay BEFORE i pump, but it was middle of the day and they went ahead and approved/activated me....otherwise it wouldn't have worked!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  23:11:23  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coincollector101

....The Only Reason I go there is every Thursday he gives me premium gas for the plus price :)
I have to run plus so she runs that much sweeter with premium.
It costs me 50ish to fill up with premium. Most stations for .10 cents more on premium fuel over plus....

CC- Try this "trick"....another Frugal Trick....

Very often, the station does not properly price their Plus Grade....they charge too much for the Plus Grade based on its octane rating....and you can often blend your own mixture of the proper ratio of lowest octane fuel with their premium...and get the same octane as Plus at a lower price....
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:21:10  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Okay, one of two things are going to happen today. I will either break HoardCopperByTheTon's record for zinc disposal, or I will run out of gas trying to get to the gas station. Pennies are ready....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  07:56:46  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I don't know about having to accept coins. I read somewhere that a merchant has the right to specify the manner in which he gets paid. I once rented a Townhouse in MD that would not accept cash at all as payment for the rent. They required a money order. I read them the part on the dollar bill about being legal tender, but was told to pay by money order or move!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  09:07:29  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flbandit

I don't know about having to accept coins. I read somewhere that a merchant has the right to specify the manner in which he gets paid. I once rented a Townhouse in MD that would not accept cash at all as payment for the rent. They required a money order. I read them the part on the dollar bill about being legal tender, but was told to pay by money order or move!

The legal question is if you have already pumped the gas, "Is it a debt at that point?" If it is a debt, then they have to take any form of currency (paper or coins). If the transaction as hasn't occurred, then they can demand payment in any form they want. If you pump the gas first, then I think you owe (form of debt) them the money the second after the gas is pumped. (if you pump the gas and leave it is stealing and you can't unpump it. Same if you eat dinner somewhere you can't uneat it. I think the transaction occured when you use those goods making it a debt) I would say that would be a debt under the law, but a court can disagree. If you have to pay first, then they can accept what they want to in the form of payment. State laws shouldn't matter as Federal law should over rule them.

You must be logged in to see this link.

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Just my thoughts. An attorney can feel free to jump in.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  09:13:39  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
Rent wouldn't be a debt until you had actually stayed in the room for the month. I would say they have the right in refusing cash for upfront rent. If you were past due, then they would have no choice but to take cash.

That might be a good arguement in court if they tried to remove you from the apartment for nonpayment. Tell the judge you tried to pay in cash, but they wouldn't take it. Then say under the coinage act of 1965 they have to take it since it is a debt, so they are breaking the law. After making your arguement, say you are ready to pay the amount owed with cash. Judge might be really upset me to the point of seeing yellowed off for them wasting his time(they would be the ones bring the court case), and just order them to take the cash to get it out of his court room.

Again, just my thoughts.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  15:16:24  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Judge may get really upset me to the point of seeing yellowed off at you because if you had the cash you could walk down the the 7-11 and convert that cash into a money order with the spare change in your pocket!?

It's tough. If coins were silver and gold like they used to be, I can't imagine many people not accepting them. But Rent is sometimes required as money orders or checks because they would be more difficult for a robber to 'exchage/dispose of' and thus this recquirement should deter theft.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  17:25:14  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Yeah, a few places that have refused cash have told me that they are not set up for cash. No change, no secure place to keep it etc.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  17:38:55  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Well, hehe, I did it. The total was $66.25, (I rounded up). Passed them off without a problem this time. Same gas station, completely different employees this time. All young looking girls. Looked at me kinda odd, but no problems. Good thing I wasn't looking for a date, paying for gas in pennies probably doesn't look very good. Without all the questions it is kinda loosing the thrill....I do hold the record I believe though. For now....

Deal

p.s. Where is my trophy?

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  00:38:04  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yeah, you hold the post pump record. Anybody can drop pennies on them that way. Try getting them to take that much up front before pumping if you want a real challenge though. Maybe next time you will get some fight out of em. Impressive amount of zinc for one transaction though. I was worried you ran out of fumes and lost at gas tank roulette when I didn't see you post for a while.

The way gas is going up out here I may eclipse your record soon just filling up my little Camry with regular.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  06:17:48  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Yeah, you hold the post pump record. Anybody can drop pennies on them that way. Try getting them to take that much up front before pumping if you want a real challenge though. Maybe next time you will get some fight out of em. Impressive amount of zinc for one transaction though. I was worried you ran out of fumes and lost at gas tank roulette when I didn't see you post for a while.

The way gas is going up out here I may eclipse your record soon just filling up my little Camry with regular.

Probably so. Since I filled up, gas went up $0.25 per gallon here....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  20:58:54  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
had to bring this thread to life. :) hope no one minds...

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  21:06:32  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I'm going to pay next quarter's worker's comp and unemployment insurance bills in pennies.

Stay tuned. That will be march 30. I'll need about 600 in pennies.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  21:22:09  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
After reading that, I'm not sure I want to pay in pennies! People just don't take the penny seriously, but it is still legal tender. I told someone that I bought a box of pennies and he said, "You spent $25 just to get pennies?" I didn't spend anything. I just exchanged green toilet paper (paper money) for a large amount of a smaller denomination of money. Sheesh.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  21:22:19  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
There is another thread where this started somewhere.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  11:59:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The thread on zinc disposal that started it all:

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:05:41  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
I had not thought of paying for gas with pennies - this is going to happen in my near future, haha

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 01/30/2010 14:05:58
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  14:48:00  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolvesdad

On the last post... I heard of a guy down south somewhere that got his mug in thepaper for paying for a new truck in quarters.

A little digging didn't produce that, but this:

Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  19:03:14  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
I would like to hear more thoughs on the whole legal tender issue,and debts public and private.If you order a burger or pizza it's implied that you will pay for it,is it then a private debt?

How about if your local "leaders" highjacked the electric service where you must buy electricity through them,not the normal utility
just about everyone else in the county gets it from then they add fees to it so they can say they have very low taxes in the city.

I need to know if I pay my electric bill to the city in zincs if they can legally refuse.I would think this would be a public debt
and they would be stuck walking across the street to the bank.

Maybe I can start a protest against this abuse of power and have more people pay with zincs.Rates have gone up close to 30% in PA. since the rate caps were dropped,and going up again next year.
Lots of new companys coming in offering better rates than PPL but I can't take advantage because of this insane policy to make everyone pay MORE for electricity because the city has taken it over.

Which brings me to the next question of can you pay your mortage in cents,I know it was posted here that someone did it,how did it work out?Can they refuse payment? My first payment is due in March,it would be so nice to not have to drive all over disposing of zincs.

Also I beleive I read that the IRS refuses to take payment in coin if you owe taxes,how could that be?

I know we have some legal professionals here,maybe without giving any advise,they could give examples of what debts could be paid
in coin and hold up in court and which would not.
Maybe even reference some presedents in cases that have gone to trial
along with there outcomes.

I don't want to be a jerk and pay for everything in zincs,but legal tender laws coupled with freedom of speech might make a good protest
even more powerful.
The government forces have been screwing us long enuff,time we use their own laws against them.Like it was said here if money was still gold and silver who would refuse payment.Some might even prefer 3.1 grams of copper in coins for payment.Now we don't even have that!
The governments money is useless people! Sad thing is that it is OUR government "of the people by the people" we did this to ourselves.

Sorry if I ranted and I know the topic is buying gas in zincs.
We here know zincs are almost valueless,and it seems funny to pay in all zincs.But money is money,or is it? What comes after the zinc cent?Then that? Will there come a time in which people will refuse a one dollar bill and only accept twentys,fiftys,and hundreds.
"get out of here with all those ones kid,we only accept hundreds here." Thanks Federal Reserve,good job on preserving the purchasing power of the dollar.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  19:18:33  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Absolutely correct in all of that, PennyPauper! Pennies are legal tender, and there is no reason that anyone should refuse to take them. Couldn't have said anything better there myself. It's time for a Penny Tea Party!
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  19:35:20  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Haha funny story.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page