Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members
 Shipping Pennies the Proper Way
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  14:47:03  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
I just shipped a $100.00 worth of zinc, 10,000 pennies. What I found that works real well is to get the free video mailer boxes from the USPS. 6 of them fit perfect inside the flat rate box. They hold 10,000 pennies just right. The pennies are in the 6 individual boxes and they don't move around at all. The pennies I shipped were just zinc so the box only weighed 58 lbs. If they would have been copper I would have bumping up against the 70 lb limit but I think I would have been under it.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  23:13:12  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
Thanks for posting this! It really helped me on sending out a shipment. If I would have sent them out the way I was going to, they would have certainly not gotten there.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  01:00:33  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
This forum is about sharing ideas and stories with our fellow members. I have gotten some great ideas from other members in this forum. Just glad I could make a contribution.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  12:13:42  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
I received some pennies in the mail yesterday--they were in the small priority BOX and then the box was placed in a flat rate ENVELOPE. The envelope was taped up all over to reinforce it. Pennies arrived just fine. (About 700 or so of them).
I guess it depends on the post office that accepts the package if they allow extra tape or not. (But like many others, I always use extra tape just to be secure--regardless of what I am sending).
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  14:58:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The way to send smaller packages like that is to cut down a second priority flat rate envelope slightly to make an interior sleeve, completely tape the cut down envelope, then slide it into the other envelope if they don't allow you to use extra tape.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  09:04:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
In addition to what has already been mentioned about shipping boxes. I used to ship bees wax blocks in priority boxes, but I used wood glue to secure the flaps. I was also warned several times that its not ok to use the priority mail boxes reconfigured to ship via UPS or other than priority. ...Rick
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  10:32:33  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Good idea about using the wood glue. I got a couple of boxes yesterday that had the end flaps on the bottom come loose during shipping (pounding). So I am adding strips of heavy duty tape to the interior of my packages before inserting interior box. Also it is a good idea to run extra tape verically across securing the bottom to the sides, especially on the ends.. that seems to be the area most boxes fail when mistreated by the PO.

There are 2 advantages when adding the extra box inside.
1. It decreases stress on the main box.
2. If the end flap does somehow fail you still have the inner box containing the load so nothing can slip out.

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  12:12:57  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
HCBTT: What do you think about resealing top glued penny boxes with hot glue? I tried that last time, no complaint. Maybe the buyers might like that better than a pound of tape.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  17:27:26  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I'm a super tape user. My PO accepts super taped Priority boxes and envelopes. Keeps everything inside, and I figure everyone has a knife or scissors.

Deal

p.s. Never shipped pennies as I have not ever sold any. But numerous things.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  08:18:32  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
Also - and I apologize if this has already been mentioned - print your own postage at USPS.com - it's EASY - Priority Flat rate up to 70 pounds is $9.30 with free delivery confirmation, instead of $9.80 + .65 = $10.45. So, you save $1.15 on EACH $50 or $75 box shipped !!!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  10:47:37  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Great info. I was unaware. Thank you.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  13:14:11  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

HCBTT: What do you think about resealing top glued penny boxes with hot glue? I tried that last time, no complaint. Maybe the buyers might like that better than a pound of tape.

Sealing the penny boxes with hot glue is a great idea. Elmers will work fine for that too.

Thanks for mentioning the savings for printing your own postage jpf231. I had mentioned a little about this in my original post, but back then all you saved was the cost of the delivery confirmation. Another big advantage of preprinting your postage is that you can walk right up and set it on the counter at the post office.. no need to wait in those long lines.

I recently added a small improvement to my packaging methods. I now reinforce the interior of the primary box with tape. This is just an extra layer of protection to help hold everything together when they bounce the box. I also want to remind everyone to make sure your interior packaging is well sealed too. Assume they are still somehow going to find a way to split the corners of the box.. those postal workers can be disgruntled sometimes, and they aren't going to believe you if you stamp the box fragile. If your interior packaging is well done, then nothing can leak out even if they do split your box.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  01:21:12  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Just to stress shipping pennies and any other large amount of coins.

USE FLATE RATE SHIPPING

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~7327.asp - 1000 Penny Wrappers CHEAP!
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  10:26:43  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
PICS!!!

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

chant1970
Penny Sorter Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  15:15:41  Show Profile Send chant1970 a Private Message
USPS offers 5 different flat rate boxes and 10 different free shipping boxes.
I will be shipping about $100 face soon, and even after reading this post several times I don’t know which boxes to use.

Below I’ve listed all of the products from the USPS web page. The product name and dimensions come directly from them.

If someone who has experience with this could chime in on which boxes they use, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chant

Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box
12 x 12 x 5-1/2

Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Box
12 x 12 x 5-1/2

Small Flat Rate Box
5-3/8 x 8-5/8 x 1-5/8

Priority Mail Box Flat Rate Box-O-FRB1
11 x 8-½ x 5-½

Priority Mail Box Flat Rate Box-O-FRB2
11-7/8 x 3-3/8 x 13-5/8

Free shipping supplies
(I don’t think flat rates apply-somebody correct me if I’m wrong)

Priority Mail Shoe Box
7.5 x 5.125 x 14.375

Priority Mail Box O-1097
11-½ x 13-1/8 x 2-3/8

Priority Mail Large Video Box (O-1096L)
9.25 x 6.25 x 2

Electronic Media Box
7-9/16 x 5-7/16 x 1-3/8

Priority Mail Box O-1095
12.5 x 15.5 x 3

Priority Mail Box O-1092
12.125 x 13.375 x 2.75

Priority Mail Box O-BOX7
12 x 12 x 8

Priority Mail Box O-BOX4
7 x 7 x 6

Priority/Express Mail Tube Large
6 x 36

Priority/Express Mail Tube Small
6 x 25
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  17:32:40  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
You want this one:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  23:50:45  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
HCBTT I am gonna try to send 70 LBS of pennies...no 69. something....but 70 on the nose.

Maybe I will ship it to HCBTT and he can post the count since I don't have a counting machine.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  01:55:03  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Oh yeah.. ship them to me! I need more pennies!

The weight record is held by me at 69 pounds, 15.6 ounces. I think it is Kurr that holds the count record at something like 10,039 or so copper pennies in a single shipment.

Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  09:02:42  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I am gonna go for 10,100 CU pennies.

HCBTT send me a PM if you want to buy my 70 LB experiment.

Gotta keep the packing materials light and strong.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  21:39:01  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
For shipping in a medium flat rate, do you reinforce the inside of the box with tape?

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  22:20:52  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
shipped one today 69.85#.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  12:28:12  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
My apologies above for the double post, not sure why that happened.

Anyways, have any of you been able to fit a $50 penny lot into the small flat rate boxes? Or if that's impossible $25?

Just what is the most pennies you have squished into a small flate rate.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Edited by - JobIII on 08/01/2009 12:31:05
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  12:34:07  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JobIII

My apologies above for the double post, not sure why that happened.

Anyways, have any of you been able to fit a $50 penny lot into the small flat rate boxes? Or if that's impossible $25?

Just what is the most pennies you have squished into a small flate rate.

I doubt $25 will fit. My outgoing pennies are packaged in 1 pound or 5 pound bags. I have shipped 10 pounds in the Flat Rate Envelope and the Small Flat Rate Box easily. I'm sure you could get more in if they were loose or rolled, since the bags leave some dead space.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 08/01/2009 12:34:42
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  16:53:12  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
I have shipped 50.00 in a flat rate envelope. Use tape!! Lots and lots of tape!!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  11:18:46  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I once shipped an entire mint sewn bag of 68-S pennies in one of those flat rate envelopes. Lots and lots of tape! That was really stretching the envelope. Of course back in those days postage was only $3.20 and you were allowed to use tape. My standard shipment was 2500 cents per envelope. I would split a bag of wheat cents into 2 packages and ship them that way. The postal folks used to tell me my packages were frequently the topic of discussion at the regional post office meetings. Then they changed the rules to not allow any tape reinforcement on the outside of the envelope. This was just to discourage me. I had to make interior sleeves for the flat rate envelopes and cut down the weight a little. This was before the days of the flat rate box. I figured they must have come up with the flat rate box just for me. Now anybody can ship substantial weights easily.. it takes some of the challenge out of it. 10,000 is about the max you can ship and 9500 works better because it gives you room to stengthen the interior packaging more. The small flat rate packages seem to be made out of thinner cardboard to me. I would use lots of tape if shipping those. I think 10 lbs is pretty easy, but would be hesitant to totally stuff one of those boxes. I have received 20 rolls of quarters in one from another member here.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2